It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:16 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi, I'm sure it's been asked before but I didn't have any luck in my searches.

I've finally just added two 1TB drives to my system, I'd now like to try and move my files off of the original 500GB drive and then add duplication. Is this possible and if so how?

I did find the "Drive Balancer" but to be honest I wasn't too sure it was going to do what I wanted (or which options to select to move everything off the original primary drive).

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance, Ben.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 pm 

BenVic wrote:

I've finally just added two 1TB drives to my system, I'd now like to try and move my files off of the original 500GB drive and then add duplication. Is this possible and if so how?

I did find the "Drive Balancer" but to be honest I wasn't too sure it was going to do what I wanted (or which options to select to move everything off the original primary drive).

Not sure what you are wanting to do? are you wanting to get rid of the 500 and replace it with the 2 1tb's?

What files are you trying to move? More info would help for a better answer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I would like it so that no files are stored on the 500gb drive and they all went to my new drives instead. I figured that if I do that and the 500gb died I could then simply replace the system drive and everything would be ok.

I'm probably wrong in that assumption though?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 am 
Founder
Founder

As long as you have duplication enabled for all your shares, you can always replace the system drive and your data should remain intact. The system drive is no different from any other drive in a WHS, besides the fact that it contains the OS. Drive Balancer is likely your best bet, but I've not personally used it so can't comment.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the info...

So should the system drive ever fail I can simply put a new drive in, set it up as the system drive and it'll read in my existing drives with all the data (and not need to format the storage disks).

Guess I'm being paranoid, strange as I've had it was just 500gb for sometime now!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

BenVic wrote:

Use the Drive Balancer program. You'll have to run it from the WHS desktop via an RDP session. You will want to select the option to clean off the system drive. Drive Balancer will fill up the system drive with empty files and then WHS will move the files off of the system drive onto the other two new drives. You can turn on duplication for the relevant shares before or after, but if you don't have the data duplicated now, I'd wait and turn duplication on after you've moved the data off of the system drive.

Thanks