It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:38 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Glad to hear you got it to work!

With printscreen, I've found that I sometimes need to capture the entire desktop then crop it down in my paint application. No worries, just wasn't sure how familiar you were with the tools available. Those screenshots were vital to figuring out the issue!

I don't recall ever having (before) to show a screenshot from an RDP session. I assumed the version running on my client would also copy screens shown in the Remote Desktop session. Guess not. If this appens again I will go install Screen Hunter on the server. If I can't do that I will re-learn :D what I used to know about printscreen.

Do you want me to replace those huge photos with smaller files?

Thanks again for your help. You saved one of us again. I had hit the ](*,) on that one. :D

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You can capture screenshots from an RDP session and paste them into Paint on your PC. (alt-printscreen in RDP session, then open Paint on the PC and edit > paste or ctrl-V). Then save the file as a .jpg file. You can then work with the file in Photoshop or to a more limited extent in Paint to re-size or whatever to make the file more manageable for web use.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cavediver wrote:
You can capture screenshots from an RDP session and paste them into Paint on your PC. (alt-printscreen in RDP session, then open Paint on the PC and edit > paste or ctrl-V). Then save the file as a .jpg file. You can then work with the file in Photoshop or to a more limited extent in Paint to re-size or whatever to make the file more manageable for web use.

That is what I was talking about doing, cavediver. But Screen Hunter is so easy to use, you automatically get a small jpg file tha works well here on the forum with no editing or other programs involved. Can't remember (off the top of my head) if you use it or not, but the nice thing about it is the low-end version I use meets my needs and is free.

If I can get it to run on Server 2003 (haven't tried yet), I'll use it there to save you from the camera shots next time :roll:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cavediver wrote:

Cavediver,
Do you use the Free Version of Screen Hunter now? If you do you already know how to use it. If not it is very simple to use. I just installed it on the MSS and it works well there. I store the screenshots that I captured when on the server in an RDP session to the Share Folders (I use User/George/ScreenHunter Images) so I can retireve them for use on the MediaSmartServer Forum easily.

Not trying to push this on you or anyone, but I highly recommend it for screenshot capture both during an RDP session and for you client machines. The free version has lots of capabilities but is very easy to use.

Here is the link if you or others might be interested.

http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

The download button is on that page and the capabilities of the Free vs. their upgraded versions are shown. I have never needed the upgrade, but it has some features that I can see might come in handy some day.

No need to post back. As a matter of fact if anyone wants to post here we should take the discussion elsewhere, not hijack JohnBick's thread any more that I already have and link to the new thread from here.
George

Here is a screenshot using ScreenHunterFree 5.1 from an RDP session on the server:

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_01 May. 12 18.33.gif
ScreenHunter_01 May. 12 18.33.gif [ 60.19 KiB | Viewed 12143 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have finished my testing and have run the first full run of the script with all "REM***'s"(remarked out for testing) removed. It is running fine. I have not cleaned the comments up (i.e. the remarks I added to the script) but I wanted to get it out here for a review or questions (if any).

I did run into some issues which required some work but nothing major. I plan to create a new thread for discussing this modified version of JohhBick's script but am showing it here bofore I move the discussion elsewhere in case some discusion is appropiate here.

I have scheduled the first automated "production" run for 6:03AM tomorrow.

Thank you John for allowing me to use your script as a starting point. You did 99% of the work for me. Also, thank you Alex for noticing my script was not running because I was using the wrong version of RoboCopy.

George
Here is the "Practically Finished" script:

Code:
REM Copy WHS Backup Database and Shared Folders to an unmanaged disk drive
REM This script assumes the target is Disk F: -- modify script in two places if that is to be changed
REM The logs are placed in the C:\root directory. That can also be changed (22 places)
REM A Critical Error will be present on the server when the Backup Database is being backed up as the Backup Service will be shut down.
REM       - This may be safely ignored as it will be restarted at the completion of the database backup

REM[b] Note: I have attemped to "boldface" notes and changes/additions I made to to JohnBick's script.[/b]
REM[b]          Any information not in Bold are parts of JohnBick's original XCOPY or ROBOCOPY scipts as shown above in this thread.[/b]

REM[b] Note: Throughout this script I have "remarked out" parts of this script with "REM***" to show lines of the script[/b]
REM[b]           that will be included in the script or not included depending on the the test conditions.  When this script goes into "production"[/b]
REM[b]           all lines with "REM***" at the beginning will be removed.[/b]

REM Backup the WHS BACKUP DATABASE

REM Stop the Backup Service
NET STOP PDL
NET STOP WHSBackup

REM Copy the "backup" folder

XCopy D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} F:\Backups\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} /D /E /V /C /I /G /H /R /K /X /Y >C:\Temp\External-Backups.log

REM Start the Backup Service
NET START WHSBackup
NET START PDL 

REM Rename the log files to save last NINE
erase C:\Temp\External-Backups-1.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-2.log  External-Backups-1.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-3.log  External-Backups-2.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-4.log  External-Backups-3.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-5.log  External-Backups-4.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-6.log  External-Backups-5.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-7.log  External-Backups-6.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-8.log  External-Backups-7.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups-9.log  External-Backups-8.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Backups.log    External-Backups-9.log

REM Backup Database backed up, backup service has been restarted, and logs saved

REM Windows Home Server backup of the [b]"Selected" SHARES folder that "Require synchronization"[/b]

REM[b] Use RoboCopy to Copy the “synchronized shares” folders[/b]

REM[b] Note: I am using RoboCopy here instead of Xcopy because of the Mirrowing parameter if offers.[/b] 
REM[b] I have also changed the LOG parameter to LOG+ in (the second and following...if one needs to synchroize more thatn two) RoboCopy commands to append[/b]
REM[b] the status to the log file rather than overwrite it.  In this script I have two RoboCopy commands because there[/b]
REM[b] are two D:\share subfolders that require synchronization.  These subfolders are on Target Drive E:[/b]

REM Copy the shares folder in Mirror Mode, Restartable, All attributes, No progress, 4 retries, 5 second wait between retries, Log to file in c:\temp, Console output
Robocopy "D:\shares\Recorded TV" "H:\shares\Recorded TV" /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5 /LOG+:"C:\External-Shares.log" /TEE
Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Watched" "E:\Shares\TV Collections-Watched" /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5 /LOG+:"C:\External-Shares.log" /TEE

REM[b] Note: Pay no attention to the next line. It is in this script for potential use in the future should I decide to replace the PP1 weekly backups with daily automated backups using this script.
REM XCopy D:\shares E:\Shares /EXCLUDE:ExcludedShareFolders.txt /D /E /V /C /I /G /H /R /K /X /Y >C:\temp\External-Shares.log.[/b]

REM Rename the log files to save last NINE

erase  C:\Temp\External-Shares-1.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-2.log  External-Shares-1.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-3.log  External-Shares-2.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-4.log  External-Shares-3.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-5.log  External-Shares-4.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-6.log  External-Shares-5.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-7.log  External-Shares-6.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-8.log  External-Shares-7.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares-9.log  External-Shares-8.log
rename C:\Temp\External-Shares.log    External-Shares-9.log

REM Shared Folders backed up and logs saved

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

My apologies for not being able to respond for a few days there... And a special thanks to Alex for his help!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

SeaRay33 wrote:
... a small jpg file tha works well here on the forum

:offtopic: SMALL is definitely appreciated, especially in WIDTH as it is painful to have to scroll the text horizontally because of a large image!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

SeaRay33 wrote:
I have finished my testing and have run the first full run of the script with all "REM***'s"(remarked out for testing) removed. It is running fine. I have not cleaned the comments up (i.e. the remarks I added to the script) but I wanted to get it out here for a review or questions (if any).

I'm thinking maybe we should keep your version right in this thread until things settle down further since I suspect we will end up with almost identical procedures anyway. Going further forward we could put the procedures in separate threads but restrict all discussion to this thread or put them in the WIKI with discussion here (and maybe even delete the code samples from this thread).

Other than disk assignments these are pretty much identical anyway!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JohnBick wrote:
SeaRay33 wrote:

I'm thinking maybe we should keep your version right in this thread until things settle down further since I suspect we will end up with almost identical procedures anyway. Going further forward we could put the procedures in separate threads but restrict all discussion to this thread or put them in the WIKI with discussion here (and maybe even delete the code samples from this thread).

Other than disk assignments these are pretty much identical anyway!

Agreed, John!

The scripts are identical except for
1. Disk letter assignments
2. Multiple Robocopy statements, one for each folder that requires synchronization (instead of a direct copy of files)
3. A mixture of your "XCopy" and "RoboCopy" scripts.

So there are really only two RoboCopy commands that are different. The rest is a direct copy from either one or the other of your two scripts.

Just so it is clear to anybody else reading this, I would have just used your script (letter for letter) except for a need to synchronize the two share folders (Recorded TV and TV Collections-Watched). So its nice to know your script works with only minor changes for any folder you want "synced" instead of "copied".

One rather interesting accident that happened... I have a UPS on the server, but for some reason I haven't figured out yet, there was a lightening storm and the server went down during one of my tests. Everyone should be happy to know we have a "real world" test of the "/Z" parameter of RoboCopy. :D It definitely works as advertised. A rerun of the script picked right back up in the middle of the file being copied and produced a complete file, no corruption!

BTW, John. Glad you are back and thanks for your comments.
George
P.S. I will definitely keep the discussion here on this thread if you like. I felt I hijacked the thread enough about the screen shot issue in an RDP session and did not want do that again. Sorry. Sometimes it is hard to stay completely on topic. :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This morning's batch file (script) ran just as expected. :mss:

After I manually moved files from the "Recorded TV" folder to the "TV Collections-Watched" folder yesterday (because my Recorded TV Manager Add-In is not functioning properly right now), the script correctly deleted the "manually moved" files from the Recorded TV folder and freeded up the space on the external target drive just as I hoped it would do. Then the second Robocopy command correctly understoodthat the files had been moved to the TV Collecitons-Watched folder and correctly made a backup copy on the appropiate external target drive.

So the script worked fine. Now, however, due to no fault of John's script, I casued a problem while uninstalling the Recorded TV Manager Add-in (while I had external drives hooked to the server) because, as noted above, this add-in is not working correctly, and now my WHS Console with not open :chainsaw:
Edit: The developer has released an update to the Recorded TV Manager Add-in that fixes this problem.
This is a major problem with this add-in. :o I really depend on it and would probably abandon it if I did not need it so. I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for the add-in. If any of you know a good replacement I would sure like to hear about it. :(

The last time this happened I had to do a Server Recovery to get the Console back. I sure hope it does not come to that again. I am starting another thread to see if I can find a fix so I don't have to do a Server Recovery. I will edit this post to show the link to the new thread when I have the new thread posted.

Edit: In case anyone wants to follow the problem with the console not opening here is a link to the new thread.

In the meantime, I am notifying you of the problem here so you will know I cannot show any screeshots involving the Console if I need to do that to expain anything or address comments/quesitons on the script.
George

Last edited by SeaRay33 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

My WHS Console is operational again. Alex "saved my bacon" again. That makes two times this week and two Thank Post to him from me :)

Turns out when I uninstalled the Recorded TV Manager Add-In, it took a HP dll our of the C:\program files\Windows Home Server folder on the server. Console would not come up without that mising file. I will report this to the author of the Recorded TV Manager add-in so he can fix it. In the meantime, beware of uninstalling that add-in if you have it. Its happend to other people to so it is definitely a bug in the add-in.

So if anyone has questions or comments that might need a screen shot of my Console, I can do it now. Yea :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:37 pm 
Founder
Founder

SeaRay33 wrote:
it took a HP dll our of the C:\program files\Windows Home Server folder on the server.

Small clarification point, it's actually a critical WHS dll that got deleted. :shock:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:24 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This is the first Sunday that my automated server backups have run. As JohnBick has mentioned before the full BDBB database has to be run on Sundays since Backup Cleanup is done on Sundays. My modificaiton of JohhBick's script took 2 hours and 56 minutes to run the BDBB backup and an additional 20 minutes to complete the two RoboCopy synchronization commands. The script was completed at 9:16am, total elapsed time for the entire script, 3 hours and 16 minutes.

Total time of the script is much less on a non-Sunday. I will report that when I have better data. The RoboCopy commands take more or less time, of course, depending on the number of new files added to the Recorded TV and TV Collections-Watched Share Folders each day. In general on a Non-Sunday, the full script will be completed generally in less thatn an hour.

Just wanted to document this data for the record.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

In the past 6 (non-Sunday) days the automated script has run well each day. The (non-Sunday) times to process the script run from a low of 12 minutes to a hight of 36 minutes. As I reported in the previous post last Sunday's script ran 3 hours and 16 minutes. The variation in the non-Sunday scripts is due to the number or new files that are collected in the Recorded TV and TV Collections-Watched share folders.

On the whole, the automated script seems to be doing just what I wanted it to do and the times to run the script are well within the arbitrary limits of 6 hours. This process seems to be working even better that I hoped for.

There are some issues I need to address that are not at all related to the script:
1. The process is not entirely automated. I have an alarm set on my main PC that reminds me each sunday afternoon to do a PP1 type Server Backup of my "non-automated" share folders. These folders are relatively stable and relatively small when compared to the recorded TV shares I have automated by the script. So the manual process that I use on Sunday afternoons takes little time to run. But the fact remains that it is not automated and would not get done if I were awary from the house when the alarm is displayed. I can fix this and make these "non-recorded tv" share folder part of the script by implementing the Copy commands, with the Exclude option parameter, that is already embedded in the script. I will still wait a while before I do that. I want the current script to run a few more weeks before I make the change. So in the intereim I will just depend on the manual processing of the "non-recorded tv" folders.
2. I am still not fully proteced agains disaster. My present practice leaves the external hard drives connected to the server at all times. This protects me against:
a. a hard drive failure in the server
b. a hard drive failure in any of the the external disks
c. a MSS system drive crash
d. a complete loss of the server because of any "non-destructive" event such as a motherboard failure on the MSS.
e. a situation where a Server Recovery might cause me to to lose the BDBB database
f. a sutuation where a Factory Reset is required.

However, it still does not protect me against a disaster such as the house burning down unless I can reach the four external hard drives I backup to now and get them outside the house prior to my office burning. Solving that problem will take a good bit of hardware that I don't presently own. I prefer to leave the external drives connected and "take the chance of a major disaster" because I don't think I am willing to go to the trouble of moving the four hard drives to an off-site location each morning after the script has run. So to fix this last issue, I will have to have four new external hard dirves of at least 500GB capacity (I really need 1TB external drives). An I can see the day coming soon (I only have 95GB left on one of my 500GB external drives) where I will have to replace one of my drives with a 1TB external drive.

The other solution to buying so many external hard drives is to use a hard drive enclosure tower and use it as an "off-site NAS". I don't really know enoght about that option yet to implement it and it will cost a good bit of $ as well to implement, so I don't see that happening in the next couple of months. I do believe this second option is better than buying a bunch of external hard drive, though.

If any of you see any holes in my logic here, please feel free to comment. I need to make this procedure as fool proof as possible.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:56 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

In the past 6 (non-Sunday) days the automated script has run well each day. The (non-Sunday) times to process the script run from a low of 12 minutes to a hight of 36 minutes. As I reported in the previous post last Sunday's script ran 3 hours and 16 minutes. The variation in the non-Sunday script times is due to the number or new files that are collected in the Recorded TV and TV Collections-Watched share folders.

On the whole, the automated script seems to be doing just what I wanted it to do and the times to run the script are well within the arbitrary limit of 6 hours that I had set as a maximum. This process seems to be working even better that I hoped for.

There are some issues I need to address that are not at all related to the script:
1. The process is not entirely automated. I have an alarm set on my main PC that reminds me each sunday afternoon to do a PP1 type Server Backup of my "non-automated" share folders. These folders are relatively stable and relatively small when compared to the recorded TV shares I have automated by the script. So the manual process that I use on Sunday afternoons takes little time to run. But the fact remains that it is not automated and would not get done if I were away from the house when the alarm is displayed. I can fix this and make these "non-recorded tv" share folder part of the script by implementing the Copy commands, with the Exclude option parameter, that is already embedded in the script. I will still wait a while before I do that. I want the current script to run a few more weeks before I make the change. So in the interim I will just depend on the manual processing of the "non-recorded tv" folders.

2. I am still not fully proteced agains disaster. My present practice leaves the external hard drives connected to the server at all times. This protects me against:
a. a hard drive failure in the server
b. a hard drive failure in any of the the external disks
c. a MSS system drive crash
d. a complete loss of the server because of any "non-destructive" event such as a motherboard failure on the MSS.
e. a situation where a Server Recovery might cause me to to lose the BDBB database
f. a sutuation where a Factory Reset is required.

However, it still does not protect me against a disaster such as the house burning down unless I can reach the four external hard drives I backup to now and get them outside the house prior to my office burning. Solving that problem will take a good bit of hardware that I don't presently own. I prefer to leave the external drives connected and "take the chance of a major disaster" because I don't think I am willing to go to the trouble of moving the four hard drives to an off-site location each morning after the script has run. So to fix this last issue, I will have to have four new external hard dirves of at least 500GB capacity (I really need 1TB external drives). I can see the day coming soon (I only have 95GB left on one of my 500GB external drives) where I will have to replace one of my drives with a 1TB external drive. Buying more external drives would allow me to "cycle" these drives on, let's say, a weekly basis to an off-site location. Implement this solution would be costly (5 external drives right away) and it would not be easy to move thise five drives. This does not seem to me to be a good long term solution.

The other solution to buying so many external hard drives is to use a hard drive enclosure tower and use it as an "off-site NAS". I don't really know enoght about that option yet to implement it and it will cost a good bit of $ as well to implement, so I don't see that happening in the next couple of months. I do believe this second option is better than buying a bunch of external hard drives, though.

If anyone sees any holes in my logic here, please feel free to comment. I need to make this procedure as fool proof as possible.
George

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next