It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 am 
Founder
Founder

George, do you get an error message or does it simply not behave the way you expect?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
George, do you get an error message or does it simply not behave the way you expect?

Hi Alex,
When I run the bat file it opens a DOS window and things fly by. The file I am trying to copy is large so I see the %complete reported in the window for about a minute counting up to 100% (when I leave the /NP parameter off. So when I see that I know the command is executing. Then I can go to the destination folder and see that the file is there. Unfortantly, the log file is not working so I get no characters produced to the log and, therefore, no indication what is going wrong. I expect the log is put somewhere in a temp file on the server, but I don't know where to look for it.

I recall there is some kind of Debug capability maybe even for scripts, so that I could step line-by-line through the script, but it has been a while since my programming days and I can't seem to find anthing via a Google search. That is what I am working on now as well has looking for a RoboCopy forum to ask about the syntax and what might be wront with it.

Thanks for your reply, BTW.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 am 
Founder
Founder

I don't see a description of an error in your above post (other than not able to find the log file), am I missing something? Is the file not showing up in the destination folder? Can you post the exact commandline you are running that does not work?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:17 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
I don't see a description of an error in your above post (other than not able to find the log file), am I missing something? Is the file not showing up in the destination folder? Can you post the exact commandline you are running that does not work?

Yes, Alex. Here is the command line that is not wroking. I'm sorry, I thought you saw my post earlier in this thread with that info.

c:\Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Permanent" "E:\Shares\TV Collections-Permanent" /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5 /LOG+:"C:\External-Shares.log" /TEE

I explained in a post above what parameters worked ok and which ones did not. I can make the file show up in the destination folder when I leave out /MIR /COPYALL /LOG+ and /TEE.

The D: folder has two files (File1, File2 lets call them)
The E: folder has File1 but not File 2.

When I am able in my testing to get File2 transfered as expected, I go remove it from the destination folder and then rerun the test with trying to add parameters one at a time to see which ones cause the commandline" not to work". That is how I developed the paramerts that do and don't work above.

Let me know if I have left any more informaiton out that is needed. Sorry.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 am 
Founder
Founder

Those options works fine for me. Try running your script from the commandline so that you can retain the output and see what error message is being given.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Those options works fine for me. Try running your script from the commandline so that you can retain the output and see what error message is being given.

OK. I'll do so and get back with the results.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

SeaRay33 wrote:
yakuza wrote:

OK. I'll do so and get back with the results.

Thanks Alex. I did not know you could run the command line and the RUN window would stay open to let you debug the command. :o

I am getting ....Error: Invalid Parameter #6 : "/LOG+:C:External-Shares.log"

Maybe I need a space somewhere that I left out in the Log file parameter? Maybe I just need to erase the log file before the command is run?
George
Update: I made a mistake in the command line. I think it will reject any command I use in the list that I fould did not work as specified earlier, for instance the /MIR parameter. I am guessing now that files being present or not may be the issue. It still does not like the /LOG parameter but it does not like others as well. I am going to do so more testing with running the command line in the window and report results. Back when I have something more concrete.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Alex,
I can't get the following (more simple) command to work in the command line.

c:\Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Permanent" "E:\Shares\TV Collections-Permanent" /MIR

Error: Invalid Parameter #3 "/MIR"

However,
c:\Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Permanent" "E:\Shares\TV Collections-Permanent" /Z

works fine and the file2 is copied.

As I found out earlier when I was running the command via a script the same patameters work or don't work as reported before. :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

SeaRay33 wrote:

You're missing a slash in the log location, should be "/LOG+:C:\External-Shares.log"

Please show the full command you are running, not just snippets, it'll help me reproduce what you're trying to do and why it might be failing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:02 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
SeaRay33 wrote:

You're missing a slash in the log location, should be "/LOG+:C:\External-Shares.log"

Please show the full command you are running, not just snippets, it'll help me reproduce what you're trying to do and why it might be failing.

Update: Alex please see the next post. I have screenshots that will help.
Sorry I was not clear, Alex. The full script I am trying (ultimately) to get to run is shown in my 5:16PM post yesterday (Sunday). It does have backslash before the log file name in the script. Unfortatnly I left it out when I retyped it for you, but it was there when I tried the command line in the DOS window you showed me how to test with.

The script in the 5:16PM post yesterday is long but everything is "remarked out" except the one RoboCopy command line about 80% through the script. If I knew a way to put line numbers on the script (I used to know how to do that but it probably takes editing software I don't have now) I would refer to the line number. Sorry.

At this point I am trying to make the command line simple so we can easily debug it and them build back to the full set of parameters I want to use in the full script. In my recent post the full command I am using and having it fail is:

c:\Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Permanent" "E:\Shares\TV Collections-Permanent" /MIR

No other parameters are used in the DOS window I am testing with.

If I replace the /MIR command with the /Z (for instance) as the only parameter then the file is copied as I expect and it shows up in the destination target as expected.

Let's first just concentrate on getting the command line with the <source> <destination> and /MIR working if that is ok with you.

When I go to the DOS window and type this exact command:

then I get the following error message:

Are there some conditions that must be met before the /MIR parameter can be used? I can't imagine a condition but I have to ask. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Alex,
See the previous post as well. This post just contains screen shots.
The first screenshot shows the command issued and results of the command in the DOS Window.
This command works and I get the results expected.
The second screen shot show using the /MIR parameter only. It does not work.
I had to take screenshots with my camera you may have to scroll the picture left and right to see it all. Sorry.
George

P.S. I can also so screen shots of the before and after state of the <source> and <destination> folders, if that is necessary.

Edited to place smaller screenshots here instead of ones taken by my camera.

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_07 May. 12 20.48.gif
ScreenHunter_07 May. 12 20.48.gif [ 315.05 KiB | Viewed 11949 times ]

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_08 May. 12 20.49.gif
ScreenHunter_08 May. 12 20.49.gif [ 316.73 KiB | Viewed 11949 times ]

Last edited by SeaRay33 on Tue May 12, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hey George, if you press the "PrintScreen" button on your keyboard, you can then paste it into Paint, it's a much easier way to take screenshots. :)

I think you've got an old version of Robocopy, try this one.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
SeaRay33
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Hey George, if you press the "PrintScreen" button on your keyboard, you can then paste it into Paint, it's a much easier way to take screenshots. :)

Sorry about the screenshots Alex. I use ScreenHunter, but it won't work in an RDP session. If I install it on the server will it work then? In the meantime I will use PrintScreen. I tried that and could not get it to work. with Ctrl-V. I will have to look that up. I know the camara shots of huge and take lots of space on the server unnecessirly. I will see if I can replace them. Sorry.

Going now to install the version of Robocopy you pointed me to. Thanks.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:07 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:

That was it Alex :D The robocopy command line with all parameters I need is running like a champ in the DOS window and all files are copied as expected. I was running (as you saw from the screenshot) v.1.71 which apparently dose not have the four parameters like /MIR that I need to make synchronization between source and destination folders happen. Thank you very much. I "Thanked Posted" you for that diagnosis. I would have never figured that out. Hope this will allow others who are trying to implement John's script avoid this same problem now that you have me on the straght and narrow :)

I saw the rt toolkit you pointed me to but decided that was overkill since I just needed RoboCopy. That was a big mistake :o

Now back to where I was on Sunday afternoon for more testing. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am 
Founder
Founder

Glad to hear you got it to work!

With printscreen, I've found that I sometimes need to capture the entire desktop then crop it down in my paint application. No worries, just wasn't sure how familiar you were with the tools available. Those screenshots were vital to figuring out the issue!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next