It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey Guys!
I have upgraded to 2.5 version of the HP software and then installed HP Mediasmart Service Control Center on my mac from /Software/Mac
Following the installation, server authentication window came up where I entered my servers name(resolvable internally) and the admin password to the server.
The login window says "Authenticated", however nothing else happens. Clicking on Apply or Backup doesnt do anything and "Show All" Button is greyed out.

Here is the screenshot of the window. What can I do to figure this out? Are there any logs that I can search for errors?

Last edited by vladgur on Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 pm 

I also have this exact same problem. So far I have tried a fresh install of OS X on my Macbook pro with no luck. I was planning on trying to restore the server next but would prefer not to go that route unless its absolutely necessary.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:18 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Guys, I am not sure what you are looking for but, if you get the authenticated Green light you are connected. You can then click on the top of the tab, the back up tab and set up time machine. Other than the green light there is no other confirmation.

This link may help get you started. I have successfully done what you have both done and it is great once you get it working but it does take some patience. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... ct=3855978

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:52 pm 

Its really wierd we get the green light but when I click on the backup tab nothing happens...It does not switch over to the other tab. Also it does not save the settings. If I close the control center and reopen it, I have to type in the server info again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Have you tried completely uninstalling the control center from your Mac and reinstalling the DMG? That would be my first step. It may have gotten corrupted during the install. Another thing to check. Remote into the WHS and go to your shares folder. You will probably need to create a share called "Mac". Make sure after you create it you make sure that you set it to share and set permissions for all users. Supposedly the system is supposed to create this folder but, I have never seen that happen so I have always had to do it manually. I am not sure if this is creating a problem but it will if you don't get it created. Also are you doing your initial setup over wired or wireless? I would recommend using wired at least for the initial setup. Especially if you get Time Machine set up. The first back up takes a while. Let me know if you have any success with this. Otherwise I will keep digging into it.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
Have you tried completely uninstalling the control center from your Mac and reinstalling the DMG? That would be my first step. It may have gotten corrupted during the install. Another thing to check. Remote into the WHS and go to your shares folder. You will probably need to create a share called "Mac". Make sure after you create it you make sure that you set it to share and set permissions for all users. Supposedly the system is supposed to create this folder but, I have never seen that happen so I have always had to do it manually. I am not sure if this is creating a problem but it will if you don't get it created. Also are you doing your initial setup over wired or wireless? I would recommend using wired at least for the initial setup. Especially if you get Time Machine set up. The first back up takes a while. Let me know if you have any success with this. Otherwise I will keep digging into it.

The problem is, "Show All" Button is greyed out and thus unclickable. Clicking on Backup tab does nothing.
I tried doing what you suggested: Uninstalled controll center, went in over wired, created "Mac" shared folder with full access by all users, reinstalled the control center by copying the dmg from /software/mac folder to the desktop to avoid any network issues and run it from there. After the install was complete, Server Login preferences page opened up, i entered the server credentials(server name and admin password), the authenticated green light came on and yet again, clicking on "Apply", "Backup" does nothing and "Show All" is still greyed out

What version of OSX are you running? Leopard or tiger?

Last edited by vladgur on Sun May 10, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I noticed from your other post that you went through entire system reset/restore(with moving data to other drives, etc) to get your MAC features working.
Ive spend enough time tweaking my MSS config with applications running the way I need them and restoring and redoing all of that seems too much.
I wonder if its even possible to get Mac Features working without going through the trouble of resetting, restoring etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am running Leopard 10.5.6 to be exact. You do not need to wipe the server to use the Mac features. I know I was able to get it, at least working without the fresh install. I only did it to free up the most space for my Time Machine and to get the best results for Time Machine because I was having the same issue many have posted about the free up space for the back up. Just curious, if you go through the authentication process and get the green light and then close the HP control center. Go back into applications and re-open it does it work that way? I mean if you go back in does the show all button work? Also when you uninstalled it did you remove the plist file from preferences befre re-installing it? This can help because if the original install got corrupted it is likely to keep being corrupted unless you get rid of this file. It is located in Users/(User name)/Library/Preferences and the file is called "com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist". Does any of this help you out?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
I am running Leopard 10.5.6 to be exact. You do not need to wipe the server to use the Mac features. I know I was able to get it, at least working without the fresh install. I only did it to free up the most space for my Time Machine and to get the best results for Time Machine because I was having the same issue many have posted about the free up space for the back up. Just curious, if you go through the authentication process and get the green light and then close the HP control center. Go back into applications and re-open it does it work that way? I mean if you go back in does the show all button work? Also when you uninstalled it did you remove the plist file from preferences befre re-installing it? This can help because if the original install got corrupted it is likely to keep being corrupted unless you get rid of this file. It is located in Users/(User name)/Library/Preferences and the file is called "com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist". Does any of this help you out?

1) When i get authenticated(get a green light), and hit apply, nothing happens(backup and show all buttons inoperable). If I close the control center and open it back up, im presented with empty Server Name and password fields, so I need to get authenticated again and again nothing happens after I get authenticated

2) When I remove the application, I used AppZapper which did remove ControlCenter.plist.

The problem is in the control center software. Something unexpected happens and it fails to report it to end-user. For cases like this there should be an entry in system log or some sort of logging facility. Im not familiar enough with OSX to know where to look and if it even exists.

This is not an end-user error per se, its either a configuration issue or a software issue unfortunately i cant tell whats going on

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just replicated same problem from a different macbook.All other aspects of WHS function perfectly. Could it be that MSS control center doesnt like some aspects of the network(which is pretty simple). I do wish there was some logging in place.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Oh Wow, i just discovered a Console utility in OSX that displays system logs.
This entry was logged every time i clicked apply:
5/11/09 1:03:17 PM HP MediaSmart Server Control Center[710] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: Server MAC)
does this mean it cant identify the server's MAC address? What could be preventing osx from doing so?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:42 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Out of curiousity, in the address field are you using the IP address or the name like HPServer? Have you tried both? It may be unable to resolve the name. Try both and see where that gets you.
Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg [ 347.06 KiB | Viewed 16332 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Servername field does not accept periods, so ip address entry would not be possible.
Resolution of my whs does happen as indicated by Authenticated green line. In fact at some point I even added whs ip address to /etc/hosts to force the resolution, that didnt matter.
What youre showing in your screenshot is not SMB access to other PCS from your Mac, but SMB sharing of your Macs resources, so thats not really applicable here I believe.

The symptom of the problem we're having is the following:
5/12/09 12:09:04 PM HP MediaSmart Server Control Center[2633] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: Server MAC)
the cause of this problem is still a mystery.

P.S. and I do have file and smb sharing turned on, but again, those settings control inbound access, not outgoing access

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:57 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Oh, I know the firewall and sharing are for incoming I just thought it was worth a shot. Try this-
Uninstall the HP Control Center using the uninstall
Remove the file "com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist" from users/(Your username)\library\preferences
Remove the file "Servername.afploc" from Users\(Your username)\library\Recent Servers, so in my case the file was named HPServer.afploc
You may have several iles listed under recent servers. Delete any that look like they would be from your HP.
Reinstall the software.

That errors seems to come from a corruption somewhere. I am not sure where but, maybe, if you get rid of all traces of the program it may work. I think this is all of them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
Oh, I know the firewall and sharing are for incoming I just thought it was worth a shot. Try this-
Uninstall the HP Control Center using the uninstall
Remove the file "com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist" from users/(Your username)\library\preferences
Remove the file "Servername.afploc" from Users\(Your username)\library\Recent Servers, so in my case the file was named HPServer.afploc
You may have several iles listed under recent servers. Delete any that look like they would be from your HP.
Reinstall the software.

That errors seems to come from a corruption somewhere. I am not sure where but, maybe, if you get rid of all traces of the program it may work. I think this is all of them.

Ill try your suggestions, but i dont think it has to do with corruption(unless the dmg in /Software/Mac is corrupted, but then it wouldnt pass verification and mount). Im doing it from two distinct macbooks with software installed and reinstalled at different times throuhg both wired and wireless. The error seems to do with Control Center inability to determine the MAC address of the server(my guess based on the error message in the console) even though authentication takes place. Could my router be causing it?
WHat kind of router do you have?

Thanks