Post subject: Re: LX195??
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:20 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Diehard wrote:
... according to HP that machine is better then the EX470

Where does HP say that???

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JohnBick wrote:
Diehard wrote:
... according to HP that machine is better then the EX470

Where does HP say that???

I'm being somewhat sarcastic, they say ( from podcast 41 on homeservershow) that the EX470 does not meet the hardware requirements necessary for the 2.5 update yet the LX195 does. :roll:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Too expensive!! I'd buy an Acer EasyStore or referb EX-470 before I'd shuck out 400 bones for this very limited box. I agree with the others, 299.00 sounds about right.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Mach1 wrote:
Too expensive!! I'd buy an Acer EasyStore or referb EX-470 before I'd shuck out 400 bones for this very limited box. I agree with the others, 299.00 sounds about right.

I disagree. This needs to be at $199 -- under 200. Just about all the others (all??) permit at least two drives. This is limited to one. Should have turned the drive 90-degrees and allowed for two if they wanted me to recommend it at $299.

With a single 640GB drive the unit cannot duplicate and is really quite limited in terms of what it can stream. It's fine for client backups and some "convenience" folder sharing but it really does not have the capacity needed for streaming video over the long term. Marginal today but once it gets set up and used it will quickly need to be upgraded. With two high-capacity drives (not the 640GB provided) the unit could be set up to duplicate shared folders and/or store a reasonable volume of items for streaming. There should not be a dependency on external drives for these basic functions.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

From the perspective of many of the members of this site, I think the LX is not a great fit as many of the comments are saying. However, I do think that this product has a place in the home server market. There's many people that don't have their video or audio libraries ripped and stored on the server, and this is an easy way to get introduced to the concepts of the home server, start storing and streaming some files, and backup the PC or two that are in the home. I think a $299 price point would be preferable to get more people to buy, it'll be interesting to see how well it does.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:54 pm 

I think the thing to do would be for HP to market this at $199-$249. This would give new users a chance to test out WHS. Once they get comfortable with WHS/LX195 they would then be more willing to upgrade their hardware to an EX48x or later. After all, HP is all about getting their customers to upgrade hardware :twisted:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Mach1 wrote:

I disagree. This needs to be at $199 -- under 200. Just about all the others (all??) permit at least two drives. This is limited to one. Should have turned the drive 90-degrees and allowed for two if they wanted me to recommend it at $299.

With a single 640GB drive the unit cannot duplicate and is really quite limited in terms of what it can stream. It's fine for client backups and some "convenience" folder sharing but it really does not have the capacity needed for streaming video over the long term. Marginal today but once it gets set up and used it will quickly need to be upgraded. With two high-capacity drives (not the 640GB provided) the unit could be set up to duplicate shared folders and/or store a reasonable volume of items for streaming. There should not be a dependency on external drives for these basic functions.

Agreed on everything except the price point. Don't forget about HP's Linux-based MediaVault. I doubt they're going to price a WHS box (which has more and better features) the same or cheaper than the MediaVault. I do see the LX195 as a good introductory server, or a machine for those who don't need or want a full-blown EX-47 / 48 server.

Thanks