It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:42 pm 

Installed the new 2.5 server update. Also contained an update for the MAC client console. Had to UNinstall then REinstall the MAC software, from the server after the big update.

NOTE: you may have to cold reboot your server after the install. Otherwise, I got a blue screen when I tried to open the server console (on my netbook PC that I use just as an entry point into the server).

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:44 pm 

Forgot to add that the Time Machine backups can now be sized, with the new 2.5 server update.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cotedan wrote:
Forgot to add that the Time Machine backups can now be sized, with the new 2.5 server update.

Where was the new DMG file on the box? I already had placed a copy of the HP installer in my software/connector folder and I don't see a new one.

//edit

Okay, I found it under /shares/software/mac

Seems kinda obvious now. :crazy:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

A quick side note to this. I know it is not the Official 2.5 update but for all of us folks waiting for Bootcamp functionality with the 47x's. Looks like HP is going to deliver sometime in May according to this article. I must say it is about time. Thanks HP.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/04/24 ... criticism/

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

has anyone got this working yet? my client says the backup disk is unavailable. I tried creating the image, and it gets to 8% and says "Make more space available on the server then start the backup disk creation again." I have 4.5TB free. Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

On a different "board" there is discussion of this. The advice given (supposedly from HP) was that the space had to be contiguous on the server and that the only way to assure that was to do a Factory Reset and then set up the disk immediately. It did work for one individual participating in the thread.

I suggested using PerfectDisk 10 or another defragmenter program but the poster was told (by HP) that third-party defragmentation tools were dangerous and would not be reliable on the MSS. I believe that HP gave bad advice on that but the poster chose not to follow my recommendation or at least try it. He did the Factory Reset and STILL got the same error message -- with plenty of free space.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I think have I have figured out the whole "disk size issue". After 4 times getting the "Make more space available on the server then start the backup disk creation again" error 6 I created the Time Machine Disc using the recommended size. I think it was something like 125 GB. I then went in and used the resize function and changed it to 600 GB with out any issue. So I think John was right about the space needs to be contiguous. My suggestion is start out with a small space and gradually make it larger. Hope that helps.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
I think have I have figured out the whole "disk size issue". After 4 times getting the "Make more space available on the server then start the backup disk creation again" error 6 I created the Time Machine Disc using the recommended size. I think it was something like 125 GB. I then went in and used the resize function and changed it to 600 GB with out any issue. So I think John was right about the space needs to be contiguous. My suggestion is start out with a small space and gradually make it larger. Hope that helps.

I think I followed things correctly and I am still getting the "Make more space available on your server." The suggestion was 92GB for me and I went all the way to 1000GB and still same error. I get to 4% then the error pops up. You mentioned the "resize function." What exactly is the "resize function?" I'm getting frustrated with this update. I might do a complete reset to see if things work.

NOW AMD X2 3800+ - working
2GB G.Skill
4.5TBs
WD External 1TB

EX470 (still in the box, waiting for official 2.5 update from HP)
EX485 (still in box, not sure what I will do with it)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:37 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Maximus, what I am saying is when you first set up Time Machine, for the very first time on your home server, create the backup folder whatever size the system recommends. Like, in your example, 96GB. Select create in the drop down list and let it go through the motions to create the storage folder. Let it finish creating the folder and finish setting up time machine. Then before you let your first backup start click the stop button. Go back up to where it says 96GB and type in a larger number, i suggest gradually making it bigger and bigger, so like 150 GB and select resize in the drop down list on the right. It will then re-size the backup folder. By starting small and gradually get bigger I was able to get mine setup to a 500GB back up folder. It tok a couple of resizes but it did work. If it is still not clear I can post some screenshots tonight to help you out. I just can not do it right now from my current location.

Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:16 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
If it is still not clear I can post some screenshots tonight to help you out. I just can not do it right now from my current location.

Good luck

Sorry for my ignorance but I still am a bit confused.

2GB G.Skill
4.5TBs
WD External 1TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Okay, a bit of a follow up here. I spent the better part of the weekend playing with this and trying all sorts of different things. What I found to work the best was-
-I backed up all of my data to an external HD
-I pulled all of my drives except my system drive, which I chose to use my biggest drive for. A 1.5 TB drive. I will explain why a little later.
-I Factory reset my WHS to wipe everything using my 1.5 TB drive as my system drive.
-Followed through all of the basic initial setup using a windows PC(Actually I was using XP on my VMWare partition) Do not set up and other computers and do not back up the one you are using, yet. We want to set up the Macs first.
-Went through all HP and Microsoft updates on the WHS
-Upgraded to 2.5 update
-Remoted into the server and grabbed the new DMG file in Shares>Software>Mac
-Installed it on both of my Macs
-Setup a Time Machine Partition for both of them. I chose on 600 GB and one 700GB and because there was basically nothing on the system drive it allowed this to happen. The thing with the setup HP has done here is the Time Machine partitions, no matter how many you set up are all basically housed in one giant folder. Because of this it can not spread over more than one drive. That is why I chose my biggest hard drive for my system drive and I set up everything, all of my Mac backups, on it first.
-Added all of my other drives
-Copied back over all of my data from my external HD

The way listed above has been my best pass. I have tried it other ways and had some success. For example, I added a drive to my WHS and immediately went in and then set up Time Machine. I think because it was a brand new drive it saw it and allowed me to use most of the space on that new one. If you do it this way you will probably need to create a partition and then gradually make it bigger.
So put a number in, say 200 GB and select create in the drop down. If that works go back up and change it to 400 and select resize. Keep doing this until you get the error that it is too big and the scale back.
Attachment:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 13608 times ]

I hope that helps. Let me know if you still need any screenshots.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:01 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the suggestion. I have my data replicated on my NAS. I will do a factory reset of the MSS and follow the directions you listed above. I only have on Mac in my network. I don't think I need 1.5TB but I will throw in a 1TB as my system drive when I do the reset. Doing the factory reset will be a first for me. Just to clarify things: with the MSS off, I pull all the drives out and put a blank (does it have to be formatted) drive in the system drive bay. Turn on the MSS. Load the restore disk to a PC in my network and follow the directions. Is this correct if I follow these directions?

2GB G.Skill
4.5TBs
WD External 1TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yep, that is exactly how I did it and it worked and is working like a charm. Let me know how it goes or if you have any other problems. It is time consuming but worth it in my book to get a clean fresh start.
Good luck.

Thanks