It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:35 am 

You where right.. I used the link in the thread and got the client software.. sorry about that

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:11 pm 
Founder
Founder

jacksonws wrote:
We can't just take the drives out and put them in the new hardware. We're stuck.

Actually, you can do this, just move the drives to the new server and perform a Server Recovery. I've done this once with a small issue encountered and I'm doing it again this weekend to verify and will be publishing a tutorial very soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

cougar how is the mediastreamer working for you? I am most interested in that piece since I got issues with the twonky update. I think it might be The PS3 issue people where having a while back with the original.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:46 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
jacksonws wrote:
We can't just take the drives out and put them in the new hardware. We're stuck.

Actually, you can do this, just move the drives to the new server and perform a Server Recovery. I've done this once with a small issue encountered and I'm doing it again this weekend to verify and will be publishing a tutorial very soon.

So just to be clear. Let's assume I want to buy the new model, I can take out the drives of the old model (including system drive) and put them in the new model. I then perform a systems recovery on the new model?

What happens if I now want to sell my old model on e-bay? Can I buy a new hard disk for it and perform a server recovery on the old model as well? Will that reinstall WHS? Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 am 
Founder
Founder

Yes, and yes. Though you'll want to perform a Factory Reset on the new drive you put into the old server to fully wipe the drive and replace the OS.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
tmontana
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:45 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Yes, and yes. Though you'll want to perform a Factory Reset on the new drive you put into the old server to fully wipe the drive and replace the OS.

Your are totally missing the point. I have a 4tb+ server with videos, music, photos, movies, etc. I've spent a lot of time building it. I don't WANT to build it all over again. I've done what you are suggesting and, sure, I could take the hardware out and start from scratch but why would I? I can get 1tb drives for less than $100. That's not the issue. It's the time involved in setting up the data and the drives that I'm talking about. I don't want to, nor should I have to, do it again. I have no option. An absolutely pathetic business model.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

jacksonws, actually in this scenario you don't lose any data, you just have to recreate your users and install any add-ins, this shouldn't take more than a few hours. It is not a supported upgrade path, but my suggestion is better than what HP and MS are currently giving you.

Please don't take your frustrations with HP out on me, I run this site to help people and come up with workarounds for the limitations of the product. 00--00

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

u say you have to re-setup the users after a recovery. does this mean that your original user folders will be deleted? So my bob or steve folder will be duplicated when I re-setup steve or bob or are replaced when I re-setup. Do I lose stuff that was originally in those folders?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

The C: partition is deleted, you have to re-create the windows users. All data in the storage pool remains intact, thus the users shares are also intact.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Cougar

I'm trying to get past the postinstall line 47 error.
any help?
I've got tomcat6 service installed and running, and new java_home pointing to Jre6
imagemagick also installed
is the right install dir for tomcat the root of the HPMSSdir, HPMSSDir\Catalina, the jetty dir or something else ?
Did you replace the isapi redirect dll with The tomcat one or leave the jetty version before the install?

Cheers

chile

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 am 

Quote:
I have no idea what you do with the MAC stuff; someone can explain that as I haven't a clue.

eh, this is where I can help...

The MAC Folder contains a DMG file, which is a program to install on your MAC. I didn't test it thoroughly yet, but the way it works is that it installs a service on the MAC, creates a folder under MAC\Backup (and lets you specify a maximum size) and Time Machine seem to recognize it as a valid destination.

I've started a backup, will now if it's fully functional in a couple of hours!

Thanks Cougar for all your help!

PS: Of note, I didn't install anything else yet from the 2.5 Update, so that means that the MAC backups may be just a software addition to the MAC and nothing gets touched on the WHS)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:08 am 

yakuza wrote:
jacksonws, actually in this scenario you don't lose any data, you just have to recreate your users and install any add-ins, this shouldn't take more than a few hours. It is not a supported upgrade path, but my suggestion is better than what HP and MS are currently giving you.

Please don't take your frustrations with HP out on me, I run this site to help people and come up with workarounds for the limitations of the product. 00--00

Sorry, Alex. I don't mean to. You're doing a great job providing wonderful information for us. I guess I'm hoping somebody from HP will log in to get some "customer" feedback.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:14 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

bump

Last edited by Diehard on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 am 

chiledog wrote:
Cougar

I'm trying to get past the postinstall line 47 error.
any help?
I've got tomcat6 service installed and running, and new java_home pointing to Jre6
imagemagick also installed
is the right install dir for tomcat the root of the HPMSSdir, HPMSSDir\Catalina, the jetty dir or something else ?
Did you replace the isapi redirect dll with The tomcat one or leave the jetty version before the install?

Cheers

chile

I am stuck in the same place. I edited the MSI to remove the check for the 2.1 software, installed JRe 6, ImageMagick, and Apache Tomcat. I get the same postinstall script error when running the MSI now.

Not sure if I have all the correct settings for JRE / ImageMagick or Apache though, might be something there.

Last edited by chrishahn on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I've been lazy over the weekend, and not done much more on this. I have a clean server build sat ready for me to step through tonight. The ket to the sucess is making sure you have the right paths for the install to check for files that were on 2.x and not part of the 2.5 update.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next