It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Print Server?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Is there any possible way to configure this device to be used as a print server? I am flippin' P.O'd :evil: at HP right now because when i was reasearching this device to purchase, they informed be that indeed I would be able to use this as a print server. I found out after hours of waiting on the phone, getting connected to someone else and then someone else, that "NO" it can't be done. So the nice tech guy today directed me to this lovely forum in the hopes that maybe someone here might have a workaround. Any help would be great! Thanks!
I'm running Windows XP on and HP Pavilion 2007us. My printer is and HP PSC 2355.

BTW...I had a heck of a time getting connected to tech support for this product (since it is so new), the guy couldn't find it and said it was obsolete, I was so mad, so the tech guy suggested saying that you have a "media vault" when you call since that product has been around longer and you should get transferred to tech support quicker. And they are the support for both the server and the vault.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 am 
Founder
Founder

First off, welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear that the HP tech support wasn't as helpful as they should be. At least they directed you here! :)

Here's some more info on getting your printer to work with your MSS:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... c.php?t=66

Basically, you need to know how to use Remote Desktop to access the server, where you should be able to install your print driver.

Take a look at the link I posted above, if that doesn't help please post back and let us know your level of experience with Remote Desktop, installing drivers, and we can provide some steps to help get you up and running.

Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks so much for the quick response! Basically I can access the remote desktop via start>all programs>accessories>communication>remote desktop connection (right? :wink: )
I did this last night to see if the printer that I plugged into the USB was recognized. It wasn't and I wasn't sure how to install it myself. I would really love some step by step instructions, cause I really don't want to screw this server up! Thanks in advance for you help and time!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:29 am 
Founder
Founder

Ok, good, I'll write up some instructions for you shortly, hopefully in the next hour or two.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

That would be great! Thanks so much! Could you be kinda specific in terms of where exactly I download these drivers, a link possibly? And where and how do I access the software directory on the server? I guess I just need a "How to install a printer server on a MSS for dummies" type thing! :D I know a bit about computers, but I'm just too afraid to screw this thing up! THANKS AGAIN, and thanks for taking the time to run this board for people out here like me! I am very grateful you people like you!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:36 am 
Founder
Founder

Certainly, I can do all that you request, that's why it's going to take me a couple hours. :) Be back shortly...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:39 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

YOU ROCK! :D

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank archerprincess for this post
skeeter
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am 
Founder
Founder

Ok, try this, I hope it's detailed enough. Without having a printer here with me to test, you may have to do a little interpreting of what steps should look like.

* Download driver onto your client PC (I believe this one should work)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 28&lang=en
* Copy the downloaded file to the //<your server name>/Software network share (accessible via the MSS Control Center on the CLient, by clicking "Server", then "Software"
* Launch Remote Desktop (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->Remote Desktop Connection
* Connect to <your server name> as user: Administrator with the Admin password you configured during Setup
* Once you are on the desktop of the Server, there is a desktop shortcut to "Shared Folders on Server". Open the Software share, and copy the Printer driver to the server desktop
* Double-click the driver and run through the setup process (if you get a security error, right-click the file, and select "Unblock")
* On the server, click Start->Printers and Faxes. Right-click your new printer, and select "Sharing", then enable sharing.
* On your client, verify that it shows up under "Shared Folders on Server" desktop shortcut

If you encounter any errors, please write down the error and post it for me.

Keep in mind, this will provide only basic print and scan functionality.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
skeeter
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:12 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It definitely should work.

In a nutshell, you'll copy over the device drivers, remote in (RDP) and install the printer like normal.

Then you'll share it out.

From your client PC's, you'll add a printer and choose network printer. Something like \\mediaservername\printername

It will find it and connect. We do this at work for all our printers. My printer is already on my network or I'd do it myself. In fact, you CAN use a network printer as well on the MSS and share it from there.

I'll let Alex give you a full write up. If you still need help, I'll jump in.

-Corey

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:40 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks so much! I'm going to go try it now! I'll keep you updated!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:42 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

do i need to put in the disc that came with my printer at some point?
also when you say basic printing functions only, what won't it do? just curious! Thanks!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:57 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

It will depend on the driver you put in, you will need to ensure its a Windows 2003 one. Most printers now have functions that allow you to see Ink Status, Browse the Memory Card etc if it has one. The Windows 2003 driver is a server driver so will not typically have these features.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:02 pm 
Founder
Founder

You should not need your CD, just the driver I linked above.

There is no Server 2003 driver, so I recommend that you try the XP driver (linked above). This should work, though I cannot guarantee.

You should be able to print and scan, but you may not get the advanced features, such as Cougar mentioned above.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

IT WORKED!!! THANKS SOOOO MUCH! There were a few bumps in the road, basically it was detecting the device, but then it wouldn't finish the detection and it threw out an error about a file being in use by something else.
Sorry I tried to get the error so I did a print screen, not realizing at the time that I had no where to paste it since I was actually on the server.

So i let it do the uninstall and I restarted the server. Tried again. Same thing happened. Well instead of clicking OK to close the error box and start the uninstall, I just closed the box. And Voila, the printer was in the Printer/Faxes box, and I was able to share it! I just printed my first page with out having to connect my laptop to my printer!!! Thanks so much for all of your help!!!

Can I delete that installation file from the shared folder?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Fantastic! I'm so glad it worked for you. :) Good job working through the issues to get it running.

Yes, you can delete the intermediary files from the server desktop and the software share.

Thanks