It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Following the recent update for the server and the so called fix for the 79% error, when i try to view the files it now stops at 81% and a error flags up

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think so. I got around it on a recovery install but using RDT to login and then run the update and it finished. Then I was able to finish setting up the server. It took me a few times to get past the problem. But I think it will be worth it in the long run. IF my server works and doesn't give me WindowsHomeServer Console errors like it was doing!

EX470 - Default 500 gig drive and (3) 750 Drives for 2.1 Tb of storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:25 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I see this here as well. When trying to open a backup set, about half the time it hangs at around 79-81% on the local progress bar. When this happens, the only solution I found was to reboot the client PC (where I was opening the backup set) and trying again. I haven't tried with the new November update yet, but I saw this a few times before so it's not something new to the update.

Once I've managed to successfully open a backup set, redoing it again later always worked (until the next reboot!). So far I haven't needed to view old backups often enough for this to get on my nerves, and the (very few) restores I had to do were not affected...

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

Serverlad, if the suggestions here don't help, please log a Connect bug with Microsoft. They will ask for the log files that show the failure, these can be gathered by the WHS Toolkit. Let us know how it goes, and if you file a connect bug, give me the ID and I can look it up and try to help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:13 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You might UN-install the "November" update and re-install it. Also re-install the connector software on the clients.

I know of one other case where this has occurred and was resolved with re-installs.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just to follow up, I've had to open existing backup sets a few times now with the November update, and the stalling never occurred once. For me it seems the issue is resolved (finally).

Note that it does "stall" at 79-81% but after 10-15 seconds it resumes. That's also the part where the "restore" is finished and the connector attempts to mount the backup network drive (Z:), sometimes you get installation or reboot notices at this point (you naturally must ignore the latter!).

Serverlad, did you manage to solve this? If not, there are multiple bugs already on Connect for this so it's not an isolated case. The main bug appears to be this one, you can add your own feedback to the bug.

HP EX470 w/PP3, 8.0TB (2x500GB, 5x1TB+1x2TB WD Green Drives, 2GB RAM), TR4M-B
PC1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PC2: Media Center, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)
PC3: Desktop, Windows XP Pro SP3 (x32)
PC4: EeePC, Windows 7 Home Premium (x32)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:01 am 

Im having the same issue. I tried to pull up a backup and found it stopped aat 79%, i would then see pop up that the WHS backup service had stopped. and then the restore would fail stating the backup service was not started. I began researching and found that there was an update from MS to supposedly fix the issue. (autoupdate turned off) i installed all the latest updates rebooted and now when i go to do a restore i get to 81% and get the same errors with the backup service not started.

I logged into my WHS and pulled up services.msc, i watched the backup service while doing a restore and I can see the service actually stop and soon after start again.

has anyone got a fix for this? luckily i dont really need to restore anything right now, but when the time comes id like to be able to

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 am 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums! I don't believe anyone has found a definitive fix for this yet. My advice would be to submit a Connect bug with MS so that they can have as many logs and repro cases as possible to figure out what causes this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:38 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well just my luck that after fixing an issue, another pops up.

I tried to open the backup that completed succesfully, after a lot of hard work, and it also stopped at 81%. Clicking Cancel just made the window not responding and Windows forced it to close.

Also, the console was frozen and when tried to get it to restart, it would just load and load after typing my password.

I was able to RDC, and will restart the server from there.

A question about updates since they were brought up... I noticed that when running Windows Update through RDC I got notice of some updates that did not pop up when accesing Windows Update from the console. Should I install them?

They are...
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
* Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows Server 2003 (KB943729)
* Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)
* Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Server 2003 (KB940157)
* Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 (KB925876)

Optional hardware updates
* Marvell Inc. - Storage - Marvell Virtual Device

Time to start figuring this one out I guess... tomorrow though ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The general advice is to do the WHS updates through the Connector. While this does not pick up all the updates for Windows 2003 it does get the ones needed for most of our uses of WHS. If you do see something that you typically use a lot from the RDP desktop (Search, maybe?) then go ahead and get it.

I have seen a couple posts suggesting there may be WHS problems with some of these "other" updates but, personally, I have not found that to be the case. I used to get them all but stopped bothering with it a few months ago.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 am 
Founder
Founder

MS pushes the WHS specific updates through the Update mechanism in the Server Console. It is possible that manually running updates could pick up some updates (or more importantly drivers) that have not been qualified with WHS, so you are taking a (probably small) risk.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well I decided not to install anything and left it all alone. Last night my computer was automatically backed up and today when I tried to open the backup... IT WORKED!

The only thing different was that I had to shut down my laptop by holding down the power button after closing the backup that got stuck at 81%. My computer became unresponsive and when I tried to open any program they would just stay in limbo even though they showed in the task manager.

Actually, the only different thing was today's IE7 security patch that was pushed through Windows Update on the WHS console... which if you haven't applied on all your Windows computers, you should. It was a nasty hole from what I read that pushed MS to release the fix ASAP out of their regular schedule.

I can't believe how cool backups work, basically like connecting an external drive. Hopefully it'll stay like this... I'm gonna mark the first backup for deletion at the next cleanup in case it was corrupted or something like that. After all, the newer one is the one that worked.

I'll update if I notice anything else.

Thanks as usual for everything.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I am having this problem now. It stops at 81%. I've tried it with several machines and even a fresh Vista 64 bit install with the same results. And this is also preventing me from doing a full restore on a PC.
Was there ever a solution to this. My MSS WHS has been working great until this. And now that I need one of my backups I can't get to it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Check that you have downloaded all the latest WHS updates (Settings-->General). This should have been fixed.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

All known causes of this have been fixed in the latest update, if you are still seeing this MS is very interested to learn more and requests you to please create a Connect bug and submit your server logs via the Toolkit Server Add-In.

Thanks