It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:40 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

For all I know, this may have been a problem with the old version of the forum as well, but I recently developed a problem with my MSS and tried to search the forum to see if I could find the same or similar problem, and the search dropped several of my search terms as being too common. This left me with a completely useless search. (I believe the search term in question was "backup", which was the most important term in my search; I was trying to find posts about a backup that was seemingly taking forever. For what it's worth, I determined the problem was with my client computer's hard drive and ordered a new one.)

Just now, I tried to find any posts about Windows Desktop Search 4.0, and the search dropped "desktop", "windows", and "4". Am I doing something wrong (like missing an advanced search option somewhere)? I don't seem to be able to search on an exact phrase. (I would use Google to search the site if I remembered how, but ever since I started using Firefox, I've used the search bar to search on Google and just about every other site I search regularly, so I've forgotten all the advanced Google options.)

If it's not user error on my part and there's something odd about the forum's search function, then you might be getting extra posts due to someone thinking they've done a thorough search, not finding anything useful in the first page of posts, and starting a new post on a topic that actually *was* there. (I'm envisioning questions that wind up getting asked and answered multiple times because the search feature drops the terms that would make them stand out in the search results.)

Kira

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:03 am 
ubermensch

You should PM Yakuza about that, he is the only one (I believe) who has any control over the search functions. I have run into that problem as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks, jd33308. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:54 pm 

kira13 wrote:
For all I know, this may have been a problem with the old version of the forum as well, but I recently developed a problem with my MSS and tried to search the forum to see if I could find the same or similar problem, and the search dropped several of my search terms as being too common. This left me with a completely useless search. (I believe the search term in question was "backup", which was the most important term in my search; I was trying to find posts about a backup that was seemingly taking forever. For what it's worth, I determined the problem was with my client computer's hard drive and ordered a new one.)

Just now, I tried to find any posts about Windows Desktop Search 4.0, and the search dropped "desktop", "windows", and "4". Am I doing something wrong (like missing an advanced search option somewhere)? I don't seem to be able to search on an exact phrase. (I would use Google to search the site if I remembered how, but ever since I started using Firefox, I've used the search bar to search on Google and just about every other site I search regularly, so I've forgotten all the advanced Google options.)

If it's not user error on my part and there's something odd about the forum's search function, then you might be getting extra posts due to someone thinking they've done a thorough search, not finding anything useful in the first page of posts, and starting a new post on a topic that actually *was* there. (I'm envisioning questions that wind up getting asked and answered multiple times because the search feature drops the terms that would make them stand out in the search results.)

Kira

I have tried to search Windows Desktop Search 4.0

both logged in and as a guest, both work fine. So either it is your user type or on your end. I will PM Alex and see if he can look into it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:55 am 
Founder
Founder

Very strange, I just did some testing and see what you mean. The search does not exclude the common terms if you are logged in as a guest or Moderator, but does for general users. There is a setting for "Common word threshold" that says a search term is ignored if it exists in x% of posts, this defaults to 20%. I have disabled this feature since our board is fairly limited in scope of topics. It may take up to an hour or so for that search term to expire from the cache.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
kira13
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:39 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for checking and fixing!

(I can see why "backup" would have been dropped with that rule.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:48 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hmm, just retried my "slow backup" search (because the new hard drive that I spent this past week ordering, waiting for, and installing did not fix it after all), and it still drops "backup". I think (judging by the dates, and assuming I'm not caught in a time warp) it's been more than "an hour or so" since your fix.

I will just check the latest troubleshooting posts and then ask my question, I guess, but wanted to report here in case something is still oddly configured.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:35 pm 
Founder
Founder

Ok, I just dropped the entire search index and am rebuilding it, with the zero commonality rule in place. If this doesn't fix the search issue, I don't know what will. It will probably be a couple hours before the index rebuild completes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:34 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'll try my search again later (just to give it enough time, although from what you said it should be done by now) and see if it finds my own new post, then.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Kira

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Tried it just now and it worked! Yay! Thanks again, yakuza!

Kira

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the detailed info to find the problem! :)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
kira13
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:48 pm 

Hello, I have a problem with installing Add-Ins and I used the Search function to look for the word Add-Ins and got the reply: "No posts were found because the word add-ins is not contained in any post". Hmm, that doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm 

Sounds like an issue I just tried add-in and got nothing but tried add in and found posts with add-in. LOL :rofl:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

I guess it's the hyphen throwing off the search, it might be a reserved character in SQL. I have no clue how to fix that, so I guess you'll have to use COPC's workaround.

Thanks