It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I got uTorrent to work with MediaSmart server. It uses the WebGUI so you can manage your torrents from the web. If anyone is interested, I can put together a "How-to". Check out the hack below. Notice anything different? :D

Attachments:
uTorrent.Hack.jpg
uTorrent.Hack.jpg [ 323.14 KiB | Viewed 33484 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Goldfinger for this post
jumran, Rhythm, Rob50lx

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:35 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Nice!!

How-to articles are always welcome.

APC Smart-UPS 1000 VA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

This is my first guide so go easy on me. I have the HP EX485. I assume this will work for the EX487, although I am not sure if it will work for the earlier HP servers.

How-To install uTorrent to manage torrent files over the web
Required Software

1. uTorrent : http://www.utorrent.com/ (Version 1.8.2)
2. WebUI : http://utorrent.com/webui/webui.zip
3. Srvany : http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197
4. This image file : http://www.bengalaviz.com/images/uTorrent.png

IMPORTANT: Do this at your own risk! I am not responsible for any damages done to your computer!
This mod requires you to Remote Desktop into your server to install software. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, please do not do this mod.
First, download the software and put the files on the Software share.
Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 135.47 KiB | Viewed 33437 times ]

Next you need to log into your server thru Remote Desktop Connection. In this example the server ip is 192.168.1.110.
You need to put your own ip number of your server.
Attachment:
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 84.2 KiB | Viewed 33429 times ]

When you get to the login screen use Administrator as the user name and use your server password as your password.
If you did everything correct, you should see it Internet Explorer warning you that you are logged into the server. Just close IE.
On the Desktop you should see the “Shared Folders on Server”. Open this up and the open the Software folder.
Attachment:
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg [ 106.97 KiB | Viewed 33419 times ]

Select all three files (srvany.zip, uTorrent.ext and webui.zip) and copy them to the server desktop. You will get an error message that
asks “Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?” Click yes. Then you can close the explorer window.
Before you run any of the programs you need to unblock the files. First, right click the srvany.zip file and select properties.
Attachment:
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg [ 111.46 KiB | Viewed 33413 times ]

Click the Unblock button and select OK. Do the same for the other 2 files.

After doing that, you can install uTorrent. When the install completes, open windows explorer again and navigate to
C:\Program Files\uTorrent
Extract the webui.zip file into this folder. When that is done, the folder should look like the picture below.
Attachment:
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg [ 157.75 KiB | Viewed 33408 times ]

Now you can run uTorrent. When it opens, go to Options, Preferences. I recommend going to the directories setting and
change the “Location of Downloaded Files” to put the files into one of your shares. If you don’t, the file gets put into the
uTorrent program folder. To enable the WebUI, click the WebUI option in the preferences menu and click the Enable Web UI button.
Then I suggest clicking the Alternative listening port, and make sure the port number is 8080. Finally, change the admin password
to one that you will remember. You need this to log into the web console.

When you are done, click the OK button and now you can test it out to see if you can connect to uTorrent thru Internet Explorer.
Open IE, and in the address bar type http://127.0.0.1:8080/gui. If everything is working, you should get the login window. (Picture below)
Attachment:
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg [ 138.93 KiB | Viewed 33398 times ]

This is where you would input your user name and password from the Web UI Preferences screen.

After logging in you will get a loading screen. For some reason, the application will not load. I assume that for security reasons,
IE on the server will not run the Web UI.
Attachment:
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg [ 65.21 KiB | Viewed 33384 times ]

Now you can test from your regular PC to see if you can access the application from your IE.

Open IE on your computer and type in the following.
http://192.169.1.110:8080/gui
You need to replace the IP number with the IP number of your server followed by the port selection. If it works you should
get the familiar login screen below.
Attachment:
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg [ 81.02 KiB | Viewed 33386 times ]

Input your username and password. If it works you will get the screen below.
Attachment:
Untitled-9.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg [ 107.29 KiB | Viewed 33373 times ]

Congrats! You got everything working. Instead of your server IP you can also type in your server name, or even your homeserver.com name.
Just make sure to include the port number (8080) and the “gui” at the end. Now this will work only when the user Administrator is logged
into the server. Once you log out of the Remote Desktop Connection, it will close the application. This will not work for us because we
want the application to run all the time. So the next steps will show you how to setup uTorrent as a service so that it will run all the time.

Last edited by Goldfinger on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Continue from above.

Back inside the server we will need to setup the service. This is where the srvany.zip files come into play. First create a folder on the c:\ drive called reskit and extract the 3 files in the srvany.zip into it.
Attachment:
Untitled-10.jpg
Untitled-10.jpg [ 115.86 KiB | Viewed 33372 times ]

Then open a command window on the server and navigate to the c:\reskit folder. Then run the following command
C:\reskit\instsrv.exe “uTorrent” c:\reskit\srvany.exe”
Attachment:
Untitled-11.jpg
Untitled-11.jpg [ 79.69 KiB | Viewed 33371 times ]

You will get the screen above if everything worked. Next you will need to open the registry editor. Click on Start, run and in the run box type in regedit
Attachment:
Untitled-12.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg [ 34.71 KiB | Viewed 33369 times ]

Next, navigate to this registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uTorrent

Right click the uTorrent folder and insert a new Key. Name the key Parameters.
Attachment:
Untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-13.jpg [ 96.96 KiB | Viewed 33358 times ]

Then right click the Parameters folder and insert a new string value. Name this one Application.
Attachment:
Untitled-14.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg [ 100.62 KiB | Viewed 33364 times ]

Double click the Application and input the location to the uTorrent EXE file.
Attachment:
Untitled-15.jpg
Untitled-15.jpg [ 120.51 KiB | Viewed 33357 times ]

Now save and close the Registry Editor. Now we need to setup the service to run as the Administrator.

Click on Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. When the screen opens up, scroll down until your see uTorrent, and double click the service.
Attachment:
Untitled-16.jpg
Untitled-16.jpg [ 79.13 KiB | Viewed 33349 times ]

Select the Log On tab and change the “Log on as:” to “This account”. In the blank box input the Administrator account and change the password to your Administrator password.
Attachment:
Untitled-17.jpg
Untitled-17.jpg [ 93.53 KiB | Viewed 33339 times ]

Click apply and go back to the General Tab.

From here you can click on the Start button. If it starts, the Stop and Pause button should become active.
Attachment:
Untitled-18.jpg
Untitled-18.jpg [ 134.99 KiB | Viewed 33338 times ]

That’s it. Now, make sure that you log out of the server. Click on Start | Log Off. Then click Log Off one more time. Now back on your Desktop, you should still be able to access the application.
If you want to do what I did and make a custom link on the HP Home page you will need to modify the default page to add a link to the uTorrent application. You need to log back into the server to make the change. The file you have to update is located in
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\webapps\HPHome
Right click the Default.aspx file and copy and paste it to the same folder. That way you have a backup of the file. Then right click on the Default.aspx file and edit it. (You could also copy the file to one of your shares and edit the file on your desktop. It was a little bit easier this way.) Below the last “new AppLink” starting on line 55, put a comma after the parentheses. Then input this code after the link.

Code:
new AppLink("<asp:Localize ID="uTorrentAccess" runat="server" Text="uTorrent Access" meta:resourcekey="uTorrentAccess" />",
"<asp:Localize ID="uTorrentAccessDesc" runat="server" Text="Remotely connect to your Server to manage uTorrent" meta:resourcekey="uTorrentAccessDesc" />",
"http://192.168.1.110:8080/gui/",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"uTorrent Image",
"true",
"")

(Make sure that you change the IP number to the IP of your server. Or you can input the domain name of your computer so that you can access it from outside your network. Like http://server.homeserver.com:8080/gui/

Save this file and close notepad. Then click on the js folder and make a backup of the mpHome.js file. Then right click the file and edit this one also. On line 165 there will be some code that looks like this.

Code:
if(currentRow > 0) {
                nextNewRow += 3;
                initialOffset = 251;
            }

Delete all of this code and save and close the file. Go back one directory and click on the images folder. This is where you will paste the uTorrent.png file. (Again you can copy this file to the Software share so that you can access it from the server.) If you did everything correctly, When you navigate to your default home page on your server, it will look like this.
Attachment:
uTorrent.Hack.jpg
uTorrent.Hack.jpg [ 323.14 KiB | Viewed 33333 times ]

That’s all. Let me know if you run into any errors. I will try my best to help.

Thanks  
BullHead, Cougar, lousk, WiggoMan, yakuza
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

Good stuff, Goldfinger, let me know if you'd be willing to convert this to a Wiki entry. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I created an account on the Wiki but it will not allow me to create an entry.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks, I just granted you edit access. Please take a look at editing this wiki for some basic guidelines to keep the pages consistent. Thanks for your help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 pm 

This will be my first add-in when Mine arrive. Great Write-up. :mss:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Much thanks for the writeup.

Im having a problem, when I try to start the service it immediatly stops. Any clue as to where I screwwed up?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You can check the Windows event viewer to see if something spits out there. The only issue I have was the it was trying to use the same port as the local website. That is why you need to change the uTorrent listening port to 8080. Let me know if the event viewer says anything.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 pm 

I've got an issue that you can hopefully resolve.

I got down to the very end and everything seemed ok. If I directly input "192.168.1.199:8080/gui/", it brings up the GUI.

However, if I click on the link from the server's main page, it attempts to go to: "http://192.168.1.199https//192.168.1.199:8080/gui/". Same deal if I replace the IP with my server URL for web access, just replace the IP with the homeserver.com URL.

Any idea why it's doing this?

It's probably something pretty obvious, but I can't seem to find the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Can you paste the code you are using for the Default.aspx? Just the part about the "new AppLink".

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:48 am 

Goldfinger wrote:
Can you paste the code you are using for the Default.aspx? Just the part about the "new AppLink".

Code:
new AppLink("<asp:Localize ID="uTorrentAccess" runat="server" Text="uTorrent Access" meta:resourcekey="uTorrentAccess" />",
"<asp:Localize ID="uTorrentAccessDesc" runat="server" Text="Remotely connect to your Server to manage uTorrent" meta:resourcekey="uTorrentAccessDesc" />",
"http://192.168.1.199:8080/gui/",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"uTorrent Image",
"true",
"")

I also tried

Code:
"https://XXXXX.homeserver.com:8080/gui/",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"images/uTorrent.png",
"uTorrent Image",
"true",
"")

I'm kinda going from memory here since I apparantly can't remotely access the console with the user account I set up. But all I had done was copy your code into a text file, move the text file to the console, insert the code, and change the IP.

I can access the gui just fine if I open a browser and put 192.168.1.199:8080/gui into the URL window, but the link from the server page won't work at all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

For the url link, do not use https. Only use http. So the link should look like

http://XXXX.homeserver.com:8080/gui/

Also, when you hover your mouse over the link, what shows up in your status bar? Should say...

javascript:onClickHandler('http://XXXX.homeserver.com:8080/gui/');

Thanks  
brou
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 pm 

Amazing the difference the lack of an "s" in http makes.

Now I'm on to a new problem. The internal IP works, but I get time outs if I go to the homeserver.com URL. I have a feeling that the 8080 port may be blocked somewhere.

I'll look into it.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next