It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Is EX485 fit my need?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:26 am 

Hi guys,

Since i am too new to home server and MSS.. i like to find out how MSS works and it fits my need before i make the purchase.. I went around forums and i couldnt find answer to my basic questions.. maybe it is too basic >_<

1. How do you upload (or copy) files to MSS and how you access them?
I mainly consider to purchase MSS to save all my media files (FLAC mainly, and some degree of video files) I use blank DVD to save them, but it is bit annoying to access, so i want to use MSS as file server for my laptop and desktop. I wonder how I could move files to MSS and access. Can I access MSS in regular window screen like? (other than Admin Page or its UI)

2. Can I run a software in MSS?
Maybe i got this concept really incorrectly.. but i just wonder if i can run a software in MSS (like media format convert or encorder) Is this possible?

Maybe it is too newbi question, but please kindly help a new user wannabe..

Thanks!
S

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:32 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi S,

I am also new to MSS, but have learned a few things with my new 485. To answer your questions, let's start with 1. You can manually store your files on the server through Explorer, exactly as you would copy them from one folder to another on your computer. The Shared Folders on the 485 work exactly like any other folders in that you can create new folders, copy files to and from...it's actually very simple. Also, you can automatically move files over for streaming with the Media Collector application on the server - simply select the folders on your computers that you want it to monitor, and it will scan and collect the music, video, and photos that it finds in those selected folders. You can set this to check for new files hourly, daily (the default), or weekly.

As to 2, although Home Server is a Windows based OS, and probably could run an encoder or similar application, I'd suggest you do any file conversions, encoding, etc., on your main computer and let the Home Server do what it is fine tuned to do - safely storing and delivering your data. I would not run any application that wasn't server related on the MSS simply to avoid any potential conflicts and problems on the server.

Hope this helps!

Anita and Bob's Website - http://anitabob.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm 

HI BobV55

Thanks for your reply!

your reply clean my main concern how I use MSS! and I just found out in other forum to use Add-in to remote access MSS. So, i guess i am in for EX485 soon!

Thanks for your help again!
S

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi S,

I'm glad to have been some help for you and to give back to this forum that has been so helpful to me! You will greatly enjoy all the 485 has to offer, and the help from the very knowledegable people on this forum is a great resource.

Enjoy!

Bob

Anita and Bob's Website - http://anitabob.com

Thanks