It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:53 am 
Founder
Founder

Sorry for mislabeling as errors instead of informational, my point was that I have zero occurrences of that message. It's got to be a config difference between the servers that makes that occur, either some HW change, an add-in, or maybe the UPS? Are you both running the UPS, or have do you have your server set to "suspend" or hibernate?

Do we have anyone else showing this besides cavediver? I know you saw this a couple times previously, John, but apparently not in a while.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:16 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I do have a UPS connected (and use Grid Junction). No USB or eSATA connections. I have not done anything with sleep or hibernate -- my unit runs 24x7 except when I am away and know that I will not be able to have remote access for an extended period.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Mine is connected to an APC UPS, but I'm not running any software or add-in associated with controlling it. It's mainly for surge protection and to give me a little time to shut the box down properly if the power goes out. Mine is on 24/7. No suspend or hibernate settings. I have 12 addins installed: Fan Control, Drive Labeler, Disk Management, Tab Scroller, Whiist, PVConnect, Duplication Info, Toolkit, MS BDBB, WebGuide4, Advanced Admin Console, & Tab Reorderer. I have installed 2 gig ram, LE-1640, 3.5 TB of seagate drives internal, and 1 tb (seagate) usb drive external for backup database backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:14 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

To add a bit to my info: My UPS is also an APC brand unit. I have the following 15 Add-Ins installed: Fan Control, Drive Labeler, Grid Junction, WHS - IO Monitor, Disk Management, Whiist, Duplication Info, F-Secure, Toolkit, WHS BDBB, Remote Notification, AutoExit, Advanced Admin Console, Tab Reorder, Event Viewer. My drives are all internal, in order: 500GB Seagate (System), 1 TB WD (pool) 1 TB WD (pool), 500 GB Seagate (for backups, not in pool). LE-1640 and 2 GB RAM. I also run PerfectDisk 2008 on a scheduled basis every Friday AM.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

With the file copy problems I've been having recently and removing all of the 1 tb drives and replacing them with 1.5 tb drives, I have in the last couple of weeks turned off and restarted my MSS about 10 or so times. Every time I turn off and restart my MSS, the Fan Control advanced speed settings revert to 0 rpm and have to be manually reset to my preferred setting of +200 rpm. I usually notice that the settings have reverted about an hour or so arter the restart when the temps start increasing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 am 

Alex,
I have a problem with my HP 470. I installed the MSS Fan control addin about 2 months ago and it worked perfectly. I tried to adjust the fan speed yesterday and when I hit apply the application froze and I closed then re-opened the server console and checked the fan speed and it is running about 630 to650 rpm. No matter what changes I make in the fan control it stays in low speed. I tried uninstalling the fan control addin and it didn't help. I reinstalled the addin and set the fan speed to the original default and the fan is still running about 650. I have to keep an external fan blowing at the server to keep it from overheating. Can anyone help me correct this problem?

Tony
PS I did a server reset last night (6hrs) downloaded updates, restarted, downloaded updates from both HP and MS, restarted again. The server still has fan speeds of about 650.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:39 am 
Founder
Founder

The application is known to freeze the console for a brief period, how long did you give it before closing the console? Uninstalling does not revert the changes, but using Defaults button should.

I suggest you check the Application event logs, either through the WHS Toolkit or via Remote Desktop, and look for any errors. All my Add-Ins log to the Application event logs and will be prefaced by the Add-In name. If you are comfortable using Remote Desktop and can access Regedit, a screenshot of the values in \HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WNAS\Parameters\FanControl would be useful.

When you say you "reset" the server, do you mean reboot?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If All else fails, (From the SpeedFan Thread):

Restore Default Fan Settings Registry File

'Optimized' Fan Settings Registry File

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:12 pm 

Alex,
The support from HP had me do a server reset. It took about six hours and didn't correct the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Factory Reset, or Server Recovery?

Either of those would have reloaded the entire OS and resolved the problem, unless there is a hardware issue. I'd follow up with HP support, perhaps your fans are failing? How are you system temps?

Answers to all the previous questions I asked would also be very useful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 pm 

Alex I did a server recovery. The fan speed is only 625-650 rpm. I have to keep a fan blowing at the MSS to keep it from overheating. With the fan on the temperatures are, system 30 cpu 31.
If I don't have an exterior fan blowing at the server the temps rise about 1 degree every 5 seconds.
I think at this point it is probably a hardware issue. The guy at HP Support said that I might have damaged the board that the hard drives plug into when I took the server apart to add the 2 gig memory stick. The issue with the fans started two days after the upgrade.

Thanks for the help. I'll see if HP support can solve the issue. If it is the backboard that the hard drives plug into that I damaged do you have any idea what it costs? I doubt the warranty will cover it since I'm the one who most likely damaged it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

It does indeed sound like a hardware issue. HP doesn't offer that part as a replacement, unfortunately. :( If they won't help you under warranty, then you can try an electronics repair shop, otherwise you may have to live with an external fan attached. Sorry to hear this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm 

Alex ,
HP Support agreed to send me a new chassis and said I should have it by the end of the week.
Thanks again for your help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

Good to hear, and thanks for following up!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

ymboc wrote:

AGESTES: Have you tried this?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next