It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:23 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi there,

I see many references to FTP on the MSS and some posts asking how to set it up, mention of using IIS or 3rd party utilities but nothing resembling an Idiot's Guide on the procedure. :?

I cannot see a way to add the FTP service using Add/Remove Windows components as there is no mention of IIS. :oops:

If I go into Administrative Tools/IIS manager I see no way of adding the service either...too long behind the monitor is making me go blind! :lol:

Can someone tell me please how to setup an FTP service on the MSS using the built-in FTP service in IIS?

Can it be setup for anonymous FTP and what is security like?

What are the advantages/disadvantages compared to a 3rd party utility and what (if any) 3rd party utilities should I look for that are compatible with the MSS?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

PS. After I posted this I read again the FTP post a few messages down - lo and behold there was an Idiots guide to installing the built-in FTP Server that I missed the first time. Now I feel a real idiot :oops:

Now I can see the FTP entry in Administrative Services/IIS Manager but aside from opening the relevant port(s) in my router for remote access what other steps do I need to take to configure the FTP server?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: no2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I can't wait 'til someone comes up with an FTP console addin! :twisted:

Last edited by MitchSchaft on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: no2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

MitchSchaft wrote:
On another note, I can't wait 'til someone comes up with an FTP console addin! :twisted:

Yeah...be ideal wouldn't it?

I was hoping that someone like Serv-U would develop a version specifically for WHS seeing as they support the following;

Windows 2000 (all versions)
Windows XP Home/Professional
Windows Vista (all versions)
Windows Server 2003 (all versions)
Windows Server 2008 (all versions)

I posted in another thread that I contacted Serv-U asking if they had plans to release a WHS specific version and this is what they said, quote;

"We have slated Serv-U on WHS for a future full QA review, although there is not a timeframe for the test."

Fingers crossed it won't be too long...and it comes with a console Add-In...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:20 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

If they support Windows Server 2003, I would think there's a good chance that software works on WHS. Might be worth a shot.

Also, here's a response I saw on the MSFT forums on FTP by a moderator to a similar question:

"FTP is in the class of things that are considered unsupported by Microsoft. You can install and use it the IIS FTP service, but if you cause a problem with e.g. the Remote Access web site while installing it, you may find yourself forced to perform a server recovery to get back to a fully functional state.

If you decide to proceed, you will need to connect to your server using Remote Desktop, using the user name Administrator and the password you chose for your WHS console. This is also unsupported; many of the tools available to you can severely damage your server. There is a warning that displays when you log in to your server directly for this reason. Take it to heart, do the minimum, and get back out.

After that, install the FTP service just like you would on Windows Server 2003. Because FTP is unsupported, you will have to configure it by hand.

You will probably be better off in the long run waiting for the release of Power Pack 1 (which should be quite soon)."

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:29 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok. I think setting up FTP on this machine is the same thing as setting up FTP on Windows Server 2003 (with one major difference). Here are the instructions for doing that (after you remote desktop of course):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323384

Now for the big difference: the instructions call for inserting the Windows Server 2003 CD into the CD drive - hummm how would we do that? Any ideas out there :?:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This might also help but I have not tried it myself:

http://mswhs.com/2008/05/17/add-in-ftp-manager-0012/

Anyone?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

tmontana wrote:
You will probably be better off in the long run waiting for the release of Power Pack 1 (which should be quite soon)."

Must be an old response because PP1 has been out for a while now...not quite sure what it brings to the party though...

tmontana wrote:
Ok. I think setting up FTP on this machine is the same thing as setting up FTP on Windows Server 2003 (with one major difference). Here are the instructions for doing that (after you remote desktop of course):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323384

Now for the big difference: the instructions call for inserting the Windows Server 2003 CD into the CD drive - hummm how would we do that? Any ideas out there :?:

I have in fact installed the IIS FTP Service on my MSS with no problems by following the instructions in this post;

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... hlight=ftp

See the 3rd post by shanneba - I wasn't prompted for Server 2003 CD during my installation but even if you are just point it to C:\Windows\i386

For me installation was a no-brainer - it's configuring it to work that is causing me grief...

tmontana wrote:
This might also help but I have not tried it myself:

http://mswhs.com/2008/05/17/add-in-ftp-manager-0012/

Anyone?

Sounds good but it looks like it is a very early revision and sounds very buggy according to the feedback left by others.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just checked on my box and FTP-Service is available under "Application Server" > "Internet Information Services" > "File Transfer Protocol Service". It installed without hassles (and without a CD) and I was able to configure it as usual under the IIS-Pane.

However, the implemented FTP-Services are everything but a good example of usability. Keep in mind that you will have to create Users on your Box itself (iirc that is) to be able to provide FTP-Logins. This might cause some trouble on a WHS machine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What was the resolution to this? did you get it to work?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Personally, I installed Filezilla FTP server on the MSS. Could not be easier and works like a charm. Seems like a well implemented/well thought out system. Let me know if you need more info on installation.

Thanks