It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
SilkRod wrote:
I'm sorry, correction....AOL is not my ISP, Verizon DSL is my ISP. I use AOL strictly for email only.

Bingo, this is what I was hoping to hear. :) Try this:

Sender name: Your name
Sender email: Your Verizon email

Recipient username: your phone number
Recipient hostname: messaging.sprintpcs.com

hostname: outgoing.verizon.net
port: 25
do not check "Use SSL"
check "Use authentication"
username: Your verizon username
password: your verizon password

Hello Yakuza,

I need your help again. I have moved and my ISP has changed from Verizon DSL to Verizon Fios. What would I now use for my hostname/outgoing stmp?

Thanks,

SilkRod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:03 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

that makes me sick.... you got fios :-)

anyway, to make things easy and to where if you ever did move, it wouldn't matter, I would setup a gmail account and use that for the remote notification.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

SilkRod, have you tried the Verizon DSL settings with your new service? I expect they'd be the same or similar. Otherwise, FIOS should publish the SMTP info you need on their website.... Not meaning to be rude but I can't lookup SMTP info for every user of Remote Notification... :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello Alex;

I found out about your WHS Remote Notification 1.0.0.47 from WeGotServed.com and I have downloaded and installed it on my "non HP" WHS. I have Notifications set for Errors, Warnings and Suppressed Notifications.

I am also using the Event Viewer Add-In by Benjamin Robichaud.

After configuring Remote Notification for my email I sent a test notification and I received the email message OK.

I have had Remote Notification installed for about 3 weeks and I have never received any Remote Notifications. When I look at Benjamin's Event Viewer I see several Warnings and a few errors so I am wondering why I haven't received any notifications from your Add-In.

Where is Remote Notification getting the warnings and errors from? Should I be getting notification emails?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:40 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Bill,

As I mention in the Readme, Remote Notification will only send messages upon receiving WHS Health Notifications. These are the popup notifications you'll see on your client tray icon, and in the Health section of the Home Server Console. These are NOT the same as Event Viewer notifications.

You should get an email if you have a failed drive, your server receives updates, a client hasn't been backed up in a week, etc.

I hope this answers your questions!
Alex

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Alex;

Thank you for your quick reply and your good answer. Have a great week!

Bill

Bill Artman,
Kansas City - USA

Thanks  
 Post subject: Remote Notification
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it was just because I keep adding & removing Add-ins all of the time.

I added Grid Junction 1.2 today.

the console keep timing out so I remoted into the server and did a restart.

Usually when this happens Remote Notification shoots me a text to let me know something is going on.

When I noticed that I had not recieved a txt msg I logged into the console and clicked send test notice 4 or 5 times.

Nothing!!!!

I then uninstalled Remote Notice and then Reinstalled it.

It then started working fine and I would recieve a txt within seconds of clicking.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

When you say "Nothing" after clicking Test Notification 4 or 5 times, do you mean there was no feedback from the GUI that the test message had been sent? Or did you get an error? Were your settings correct?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:19 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It would say: test message sent

But a Txt message would never show up on my phone.

I clicked it 4 or 5 times and never did recieve a txt.

After uninstall & then reinstall RN, when I clicked send test message it would hit my phone within 1 or 2 seconds.

I had not changed settings & it had sent me a text just the day before.

I was wondering if it could have been a brief issue with my ISP & was just coincidence on the timing?

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:43 am 
Founder
Founder

Yeah, if it said "Sent" then the SMTP class reported it successfully dispatched the message to your outgoing mail server. I'd suspect a coincidental outage from your ISP...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

My MSS shutdown last night after issuing about 10 error messages yet I never got notified of them. Is there anyway to debug the situation? The last error message was issued at 11:43 PM and the MSS shutdown at 11:57 PM. I mention the time line to point out that there was enough time between the last error message and the shutdown for Remote Notification to do its thing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

TxDot wrote:
My MSS shutdown last night after issuing about 10 error messages yet I never got notified of them. Is there anyway to debug the situation? The last error message was issued at 11:43 PM and the MSS shutdown at 11:57 PM. I mention the time line to point out that there was enough time between the last error message and the shutdown for Remote Notification to do its thing.

There were 10 WHS Health Notifications in the server console? That seems like an awful lot! If you mean there were 10 Event Log messages, Remote Notification does not watch those so would have nothing to send...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
There were 10 WHS Health Notifications in the server console? That seems like an awful lot! If you mean there were 10 Event Log messages, Remote Notification does not watch those so would have nothing to send...

The messages were in the System section of Event Viewer. If Remote Notification doesn't currently monitor those, I would like to request that it be updated to do so. It should be optional but for those of us that are fighting shutdowns this would be helpful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:10 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

TxDot wrote:
yakuza wrote:

The messages were in the System section of Event Viewer. If Remote Notification doesn't currently monitor those, I would like to request that it be updated to do so. It should be optional but for those of us that are fighting shutdowns this would be helpful.

You can use the Event Monitor Add-In for these. Be careful, though, as (1) you can end up with a LOT of e-mail and (2) you can convince yourself that the MSS is in deep trouble when it is not!

(Alex has discussed in earlier posts why he has refrained from monitoring the Event Log.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:46 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks John, you are correct.

To reiterate, Remote Notification is designed to be a WHS solution, not a more general-purpose system monitoring tool. There are other solutions for what you seek, as JohnBick mentions above. I do appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind for any future updates or Add-In releases.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next