It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:48 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ok, got PP1 and 1.3 all installed.

Installed a 1tb drive for BACKUPS......Installed ok.... Added it to the
"SERVER BACKUP HARD DRIVES".

Did my first backup on 7/25. It created a folder on the drive called
2008-07-0725_2050.

All the files backed up, and I can go to that drive and access them
under the SHARES folder in that directory.

Here's the TEST. I added 1 file to the Shared Folders. Supposedly, if only one file is added or changed, that's all it backs up (Similar to when I run SYNCTOY on my desktop).....

It grinds a bit, and watching the backup process, it says "LINKING bla bla bla files"......

When finished, there are TWO directories on my backup drive

2008-07-0725_2150 and
2008-07-0726_2039

The both appear to have the same information. BOTH report the same size.

10-15 mins later, I check again, and there is only ONE DIRECTORY....
2008-07-0726_2039 (the one I just did for the changed file).

HOWEVER.
in that directory, is the PREVIOUS folder now included.

Here's what's strange. the OLDER directory in the newer directory reports the same size directories. In other words 7/25 is INSIDE of 7/26 directory.

But get this . . . When I check the used space on that drive.....It only reports 1/2 that size. In other words, each directory reports 48GB of files x 2, which is approx 87GB, but the used space on the drive only reports 48......

So, which directory on the backup contains the REAL files. Does the backup strategy use tombstones or file markers just like regular WHS?

It appears that TWO seperate backups are duplicated, instead of just updating the file I added... But disk usage (right clicking on PROPERTIES of the drive), reports otherwise.

Anyone else noticed this? Someone check their DIRECTORY SIZES against their DISK USAGE. Are they the same or different/same?

Anyone read anything on the backup strategy. I take it that I can unplug this drive from the machine, and I can access the files off the drive from any other computer ..... meaning that the BACKUP DRIVE isn't part of the "pool"... Do i need to REMOVE it from the STORAGE DRIVES before I disconnect it?

So far, running smooth..........After all the updates, it stopped grinding after about 20 minutes. seems to be purrrring right along. Didn't notice any weird errors in the logs. Haven't seen that VOLSNAP message again either.

THX

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:25 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

No insight into this? I figured someone would have dug into this feature already...

Post subject: hope so
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I know there is something funky with how storage is used, but maybe more how it is reported.

I added my 64 bit PC, backed it up for the first time and looked at the free space reported, it was the same.
It may have changed later after it duped, but it is scary..

I changed the settings on how long to keep backups. I think default was 3 days / 3 weeks and I changed to 6 days / 6 weeks hopeing I might have a better chance of recovery in the event of.

It would be nice to know for sure that the data is being handled properly. But, given MS past failures, I would guess it's a 50/50 shot.

Backups of backups of backups, it has been said a million times, how much is the data worth.

More info on this would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:11 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Actually I'm talking about the SHARED FOLDERS backup, not a complete PC backup.

I know the way WHS backs - up a whole computer is a little weird with al the tombstones and the demigrator...

But I'm talking about a straight folder copy to another drive using the backup feature in PP1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

It doesnt do a straight copy, it still uses the Single Instance stuff as well hence only slight increases in backup sizes hence the long period of linking files.

When you want to remove the drive, remove it from the console first. It should then ask you if you want to Stop using it for server backups or Temporarily remove it from the home server. I rotate 2 drives, 1 at home and 1 at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

This option is GREYED OUT. already tried it!

""""Temporarily remove it from the home server"""

The only option is to STOP using it for backups!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Greg H wrote:
This option is GREYED OUT. already tried it!

""""Temporarily remove it from the home server"""

The only option is to STOP using it for backups!

Exactly the same for me if I connect the drive via esata, connect same drive via USB and then see option to temporary remove drive. I think this is to do with being unable to hot swap a esata drive although I do , in the manual I have it states I risk data corruption if I do, firewire and USB no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ok, I am connecting ny ESATA, so that's probably why that option is greyed out, thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I've tested this out on a fixed drive as well, same problem as the eSATA one, it's definately fine with USB drives.

You can just pull the drive, you dont get any errors in the console, but the eventlog bitches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:59 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just tried the new PP1 server backup feature and thought I'd add my experience to this thread...

I attached my external drive via eSATA and within the Console clicked Add under Server Storage, then selected the option to install it as an external server backup instead of adding to the main pool.

Next, I went to the Computers and Backup screen, selected My Home Server and clicked Backup Now. I completed the wizard and the shared folders backed up with no difficulties. I don't feel the need to back up anything else in my situation, though I understand other situations may be different and warrant a more complete backup. It would be nice to have the option.

Back in the Server Storage screen now, I highlighted the server backup drive and clicked remove. As noted in other posts above, the option to remove it temporarily was grayed out because I had connected via eSATA. Perhaps being overly cautious, I shut down the server and then switched to the USB cable before booting back up.

I went back into the drive removal wizard and selected the remove temporarily option which had become active now that I was connected via USB.

One thing I noticed in the Server Storage interface is that the drive was listed as an "Internal (SCSI)" when connected via eSATA and as "External (USB)" when connected by, you guessed it, USB.

I removed the drive because I will store it offsite and just update the backup occasionally (probably monthly, and whenever I add something which feels irreplaceable).

In addition to describing my experience in the hope that the detail might be useful to others, I do have a couple of questions:

1. In the future, do I need to shut down before removing the eSATA-connected drive? I think what Cougar is saying above is that I do not, but want to be certain I understand correctly since the ramifications could be significant. If not, other than not removing it when it is being read or written to, what precautions would be prudent?

2. The classification as internal or external depending on the cable type seems odd to me. The interface classification (eSATA/USB) makes sense, but the location (internal/external) does not. Could HP or MS (not sure which this falls under) change this so external drives are always classified correctly in terms of the location? And if so, would/could it have an impact on letting us select the remove temporarily option?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]