It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

No problem updating the server with Power Pack 1 and my first (Vista 32 Ultimate) client system with the new connector software. BUT I can't update the client software on the second client system (XP sp 3). The tray icon indicates "A connector update is available", but when I click on the icon and attempt to log in to the Server, no dice: "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network and make sure your home server is powered on." The network is fine, the home server is powered on, and client 1 is still happily connected using the new connector software that installed without a hitch. The backup of client 2 went fine last night so I wasn't aware of any problem before installing PP1. I can access the server shares. I browsed successfully to \\<myserver>\Software\Home Server Connector Software and clicked on the icon to run WHSConnectorInstall.exe. It started doing its thing: "Please wait while home server is located" and then splat: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. [If this problem persists,] contact Product Support" (which wants $80 to talk). I have consulted the September 2007 "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector Installation" bulleting from Microsoft. This document addresses two types of problems: firewalls interference, and name resolution issues. It says, in most situations, if you can ping your home server from a home computer, name resolution is working fine. I have no trouble pinging <myserver> and getting 4 successful pings from client 1 or client 2. The firewall information is somewhat more obscure. Bear in mind that everything worked perfectly yesterday so far as I am aware and there have been no changes to any firewalls that I am aware of; I don't think the new McAfee Security that I installed with the HP update last night functions in any way as a firewall. However, I have tried to run through the diagnostics suggested by Microsoft. I get <ID>1</ID> rather than <ID>2</ID> when I enter https://<myserver>:56000/enroll/id.xml and I don't get any prompt for a user name and password. I am running out of ideas. I have taken the server down and brought it back up. I have thrown salt over my left shoulder.(':(')

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Do you have any firewalls installed, like OneCare or Norton? Those have both been known to cause problems.

You can also try uninstalling the Client software completely, then running it fresh from the server software share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:31 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks. Good ideas. I've already pursued them.

I have Norton Internet Security, but shut it off and still got the same sequence "Please wait while home server is located" and then "This operation cannot be completed at this time. If this problem persists, contact Product Support" when I tried to run the connectorinstaller.exe.

I also had already removed the old Connector software early in the game in the hopes that connectorinstaller.exe would do better if it didn't have to remove anything. But I still get the same errors.

The weird thing is that both clients connected just fine before I installed the HP and PP1 updates. I have ventured into checking out certificate-folder permissions but find the information on certificates very sketchy.

Post subject: Fixed!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My problems are over. I am documenting how for the next person who runs into the same vexing situation.

After having spent considerable time with Microsoft's "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector" and running Microsoft's "ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe" (part of the Windows Home Server Toolkit), I came to the conclusion that the problem was most likely connected to permissions. I tried the resolutions suggested in Microsoft KB article 939218 which is referenced in the Troubleshooting paper. (The brief description of certificate errors in the Troubleshooting paper raised more questions than it answered). The 939218 solutions did not work and generated Access Denied errors.

So what worked? Microsoft's Subinacl permissions fixer.

For full instructions on this utility for repairing file and registry permissions, check out Aaron Stebner's blog at

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/ ... 39820.aspx

for complete instructions and useful commentary.

The reset.cmd Aaron provides is very powerful medicine. You should back up your registry before running it. It can be useful in dealing with installation problems and pesky Internet script errors caused by incorrect access control permissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I should add that before you mess with permissions, it makes sense to check out firewall and name resolution issues as suggested in the "Troubleshooting Windows Home Server Connector Installation" paper. I didn't have problems with those although the difficulties I was having were not adequately differentiated in the section on troubleshooting firewall issues and I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why.

That said, if you wind up concluding that your problems may lie with permissions/certificate/access, I recommend a visit to Aaron's blog.

Post subject: OMG
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm not saying nothing.
Vista and Norton's = reload :-)

I am sorry you are having problems, I was untill I rebooted everything, well, power down and bring back up, not just restart.

Good luck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]