It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 pm 

When I tried to load the update through the "Check for Updates" option on the server console, the update downloaded, then started the installation process, and then errored out with an Error Code of 2324. I rebooted the server, and got the same message.

I then tried downloading the update from the FTP site. Again, the installer started, and then stopped with an Error code of 2324.

Obviously there is something wrong - I have a plain vanilla install, with no add ins, and have PP1 installed. Please help - I can't find anything on this at HP's site, and don't see anything on this at the forum here.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

Is it possible you are trying to install on your client? If you're installing after downloading via FTP, you must copy it to the network share, remote desktop onto the server, copy it to the server desktop, right-click the file and select "Properties" then "Unblock" and then run it.

Is it possible you have the old broken 1.3 update? If so, see instructions in the General forum announcing the 1.3 release that describes how to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 pm 

Thank you for the quick response.

No, I am not installing it on my client. I am installing in via a remote terminal session into the server.

When I check add/remove programs, the only update I see is a "HP EX470 and EX475 MediaSmart Server Update Patch 2". Could this be the broken 1.3? Should I uninstall this? I found no other software that looks like an HP update there.

Note: I just checked the software version number and it says it is version 1.1.3.19049 - so perhaps it is installed - but it is not what is described in the forum - there is no McAffe, etc.

What do you suggest that I do?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

Can you post a screenshot of the offending error, preferably in the Server Console?

A fix that should definitely work is a Server Recovery, but not sure we're to that point yet. I might suggest you uninstall the HP MediaSmart Server software from your server, and then try the install again. If that fails, though, you might definitely have to do the Server Recovery.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:17 pm 

I uninstalled the HP update that I found, which reverted me to version 1.1 of the software. I uninstalled and then reinstalled PP1, and then tried to load the file from the FTP site - and got the same error.

I was able to get to the install log of the HP Update. It says something about "Could not open file: D:\shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\oem\oem.msi".

I need to fix that file somehow - I think.

I've attached a screenshot and the log below.

Attachments:
Error Code 2324.JPG
Error Code 2324.JPG [ 81.29 KiB | Viewed 22180 times ]
HPMSSInstallLauncher.msi.log.txt [280.92 KiB]
Downloaded 817 times
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hmm, does that directory and file exist? It sounds like at least the file doesn't...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

I just sent you PM. 8)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 pm 

Well, I put the file in the OEM directory, and the installer stopped on a different file (autorun.inf) with the same error. I suspect that when PP1 installed its files in this folder (D:\shares\Software\Home Server Connector Software\) it locked down the files or something. And when the HP 1.3 installation software tries to use the files it cannot access them the way it wants to.

My Home Server console shows "conflicts" on some of these files - I think that this has something to do with it. Since I have no idea how to deal with these conflicts, I'm out of luck.

I've attached a screen capture of these conflicts. Maybe this can get us to a solution.

Attachments:
Conflicts 1.JPG
Conflicts 1.JPG [ 81.19 KiB | Viewed 22112 times ]
Conflicts 2.JPG
Conflicts 2.JPG [ 80.97 KiB | Viewed 22112 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:34 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Did you delete files out of that directory?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

And is the help link helpful at all for resolving the conflicts? Are you missing a HDD, or do they all show as healthy in the storage tab?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:18 am 

Was I supposed to delete the files? (Wouldn't this cause me problems adding computers to the server?)

The help file is not helpful at all - see below. It says that something was keeping the files open - not sure what, since nothing is running other than the normal Home Server Processes.

All of my Hard Drives display a healthy status.

Attachments:
Conflict Help.JPG
Conflict Help.JPG [ 66.21 KiB | Viewed 22062 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 am 

OK, I'm getting closer. All of the files that are in "coflict" seem to be corrupt. When you try to copy or delete them the give you an erro of Invalid File Handle, and no action can be taken.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it now time to do a server recovery? (perhaps there are other files that are similarly corrupt.)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 am 
Founder
Founder

Server Recovery is not going to help with corrupted shares, it only fixes the OS image. :(

Is it only that directory that has problems, or are other files in conflict also?

It sure sounds like you had a drive failure, did you remove/replace any drives ever?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 am 

When I originally set up the HP box I had a drive failure. I replaced that drive about a week later, and it has been humming ever since.

I found a command on the Windows Home Server Community forum that addresses the Invalid File Handle error. IT say to use the command fsutil reparsepoint delete <FileName> which seems to work. However, I need to do this to each file that is corrupted, as there is no wildcard option. Also, I've noted that once I run the command on the corrupted files, the seem to become empty files.

(See the posting at: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1265731&SiteID=50)

So far, I've addressed all the files in the screen captures, but I have found additional files in the software folder that are corrupt. I'm afraid that there are some files in other places, but I have no way of knowing until I come across them.

My current plan is to address all the files in the Software share, and then move them to another location, so that PP1 and/or HP Update 1.3 will update the files when they are applied.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:20 am 
Founder
Founder

It sounds like your system got hosed when you lost the drive. :(

If it were my system with my precious data, I would back everything, back to my PC or an external drive. I'd then perform a Factory Reset to totally clean the system back to factory state (this wipes all drives attached to the server!). Then load PP1, 1.3, and copy all my data back onto the server.

You'll never know what state the server is truly in until you get all the file issues resolved.

Thanks