It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: PC RESTORE DISC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi everyone!

Here's my issue...any advice would be appreciated!

I jacked up my computer...again...so I wanted to use the PC Restore disc to bring it back to a specific back up date. When I used the disc the server could not be found. I even tried manually searching for it, to no avail! I got so frusterated I just reformatted my laptops hard drive like it was new out of the box and figured I would just spend 2 solid days pulling stuff manually from the backups. Well before I started adding things to my laptop I thought I'd pop that PC restore disc in again to see if it would work now that my computer was cleaned out. Same problem, couldn't fine the server!! I then went in an re installed the Windows Connector software (although I don't think you should need that with the PC restore disc, but what the heck, might as well try is!) Just for the record, my laptop always finds the server with no problems, only doesn't with the PC restore disc in. Here's a little history....the first time I used the PC restore disc back in December, I had a linksys WRT54G router, the disc found my server and the disk worked perfect. The next time I needed the disc, same router, it would not work. Would not find the server! So that's when I formatted my hard drive and spent 2 solid days pulling stuff from a back up to get my laptop "perfect" again. Since that second attempt I've gotten another router, a linksys WRTP54G. I also spent hours on the phone with HP and they don't have a clue. They mailed me a new PC Restore disc, but the disc I have is just fine. Also just for the record, I loaded WHS drivers from the most recent backup on a flash drive that I popped in the USB port when the disc asked for it. Could the PC restore disc need drivers for my router? If so where do I find those? When I go to my routers status page for the local network and look at the DHCP clients table, why is my server not listed? Is it because I have it set to a static IP? This just really sucks that I can't get that disc to work. Although I promise myself I'm not going to screw up my computer again, I know I will, and it would make life so much easier just to pop in disc for a few hours, instead of spending days reinstalling software and getting files from back ups!
Any advice, comments, thoughts will be greatly apprectiated!!
Thanks so much!
Jamie

BTW...When I tried the PC restore disc a few time before I reformatted my hard drive, I lost all system restore points and then lost connectivity to the server. Something about permissions and the network. I can't remember exactly, but basically I couldn't get back in. Uninstalling and reinstalling the connector software didn't help, so I basically was forced to reformat.

EDIT: BTW...I was not trying to use the disc wirelessly. I did have my computer directly connected to the router.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

MS WHS is now beta testing a "Dual Boot Recovery CD". More information can be found on this new recovery CD at:
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/arc ... lable.aspx

My new recovery CD may very well resolve your issues...

Now, I have to admit that when I went to MS Connect I could not find the dual boot CD in my list of downloads, though I am told it is suppose to be there...

Any comments provided are my own and are not that of my employer.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:41 pm 
Founder
Founder

bikealot wrote:
Now, I have to admit that when I went to MS Connect I could not find the dual boot CD in my list of downloads, though I am told it is suppose to be there...

They don't trust you enough to give you access, John... :lol:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
bikealot wrote:

They don't trust you enough to give you access, John... :lol:

I signed up for a new account using my alias and now I see it there. So, I guess you are right...Microsoft just does not trust me. ;)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:01 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

(Obviously Yakuza is in a good mood today...)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

bikealot wrote:

Thanks so much! I found the download for RestoreCD.msi, I just saved it to a folder. How do I open/use this type of file?

Thanks!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

archerprincess wrote:
bikealot wrote:

Thanks so much! I found the download for RestoreCD.msi, I just saved it to a folder. How do I open/use this type of file?

There is also a readme download. I would recommend downloading the readme for full instructions. The key nugget in the readme is:

1. On a home computer, run the included Windows Installer package (RestoreCD.MSI) to install it on your home computer
2. The installation program will put the ISO for the Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot) on your computer at the default location of [Your user's Document directory]\Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot) (e.g. C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot))
3. You will need to use software to burn the ISO file onto a blank CD before you can use it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I downloaded the dual boot restore CD package from Microsoft Connect, ran the program, and then burned the iso image to a CD. Tnen, when I tried to run the CD, my computer said "no operating system installed."

I used Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator to burn the CD. I opened Easy CD and DVD Creator, clicked data disc in the left pane, then selected the tab to make the CD bootable. I then entered the file name "RestoreCD_dual.iso" and then burned the image to a CD-RW disc.

I put the CD in my XP computer and rebooted. The computer tried to boot from the CD but gave me the message that no operating system was found. Apparently, there was a problem in the way I created the CD. I would appreciate any advice on this issue.[/i]

Thanks  
 Post subject: PC Restore
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:00 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I tried using the original PC restore disc that came with my server. It boots up ok but cannot find the server. Any suggestions? This does not appear to be related to the fact that I installed Power Pack 1 on the server. Is it possible that I need to load some drivers before searching for the server? Any other thoughts?

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: PC Restore
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

less served wrote:
I tried using the original PC restore disc that came with my server. It boots up ok but cannot find the server. Any suggestions? This does not appear to be related to the fact that I installed Power Pack 1 on the server. Is it possible that I need to load some drivers before searching for the server? Any other thoughts?

Yep. Most likely the restore cd does not have the network driver your computer requires to find the network. Just follow the standard PC Resore instructions which includes loading the drivers to a USB stick from the server.

The dual boot restore is not dependent upon PP1. MS has had this one out there for a number of months to address some restore issues. This new CD is also in beta test.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Cannot find drivers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I tried to open the backup file to find the drivers but I got the following message: Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running. I don't really know how to do that. I logged on to the server using remote desktop connect and looked for services. It appears that he backup service is runnning but I am not sure. Any advice?

Thanks  
 Post subject: PC Restore
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:41 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

When I run PC restore, my computer does not find the server. I loaded drivers from a USB key. No luck. Any advice would be appreciated?

Note: Sorry but I unintentionally got two threads going on this issue. I won't do that again. Sorry about that.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Cannot find drivers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:41 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

less served wrote:
I tried to open the backup file to find the drivers but I got the following message: Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running. I don't really know how to do that. I logged on to the server using remote desktop connect and looked for services. It appears that he backup service is runnning but I am not sure. Any advice?

Not sure what happened there. I would try restarting the server to see if the backup service starts...then load the drivers to USB from the desired backup. Hopefully the restarting of the server resolves your backup failures. Is this a MS Beta power Pack 1(PP1) system?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:31 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My confidence was shattered when I could not get the restore disk to "find" the server. I tried everything I could think of, but still could not get it to work. Makes the number 1 selling point kind of moot.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Cannot find server
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

After rebooting my PC (not the server), I was able to open the backup download drivers for restore to a USB key. Then I tried to run PC restore. At the appropriate point, I inserted the USB key and the software scanned for drivers. Then I selected continue. Still, it could not find my server. Do you think the problem might be because I set up static IP on router and server or is it something else?

Thanks