It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Printer server ability?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:36 pm 

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the MediaSmart server. One feature that I would really like to see, that is stated on the MS HomeServer page is the possibility to use MS Home Server as print server. Unfortunately, this function is not listed for the HP MediaSmart Server. Is this function availabe and just not listed or is it really not available?

Thanks for your help,

MCheiron

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:18 am 
Founder
Founder

My understanding is that it's not published because there is not an easy, intuitive way for the average user to install the needed printer drivers. There's also not a ton of Server 2003 printer drivers available from manufacturers for consumer-grade printers, though in many cases I believe XP drivers would likely work fine.

A user that is comfortable with Remote Desktop and installing drivers could easily download the 2003/XP drivers for their printer, copy them to the software directory on the server, Remote Desktop onto the server, and then run the installer. Connect the printer via USB, and you should be good to go!

I do agree that it seems strange that a printing powerhouse like HP didn't at least put in a mechanism for using their own printers :idea: , seems like that'd be a great differentiator!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:52 pm 

Thanks for your response. I hope, that until I will get my home server, somebody will write some detailed instructions. That would be really nice and increase the usefullness of the server (at least for me ;) )

Thanks again, MCheiron

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:50 pm 

I've setup my HP multi-function printer on my HP Home server. Had the driver ready to go if needed but plugged it in (usb) and no drivers were needed. Sharing was turned on automatically and once the connector software was ran on the computers around the network it was easy to find and install the printer.
The program launcher add-in really made it easy to see what was going on with printer installation and sharing.
http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-ho ... r-add-ins/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
I tried just plugging in my printer (HP PSC 1610) into the USB on my Server and it didn't recognize it. So using the Program Launcher Addin I downloaded the HP Drivers for XP onto the WHS Explorer as I couldn't find a driver for my printer in Server 2003 online. My question is can I execute this install from with in WHS on the Server? Also will it be it be compatable with WHS since it is for XP? I don't want to mess up my server as it's working great right now.
Barry Heath

1TB External Backup Drive
"Expect the Best"

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Barry,

I think this thread will help answer your questions.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... .php?t=104

The steps for you would be the same, except you already have the needed printer driver I linked in step 1 of the instructions I wrote for AP.

Let us know how it goes!
Alex

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Alex,
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. Just had a new grandchild on Monday and things have been kind of hectic.
I was unable to complete installing the driver itself and had several errors that made no sense to me. So I removed what part of did get installed through add/remove programs, rebooted the server and installed the full driver for the PSC 1600. Believe it or not that worked! I did get an note telling me to close home server (the HP console) which I did and then it finished the install. I close the program that displays in the system tray so that I'm not using a lot of memory. If I need it I go to programs and then do whatever I need and close it again. It's the long way around but what works works!
Thanks for your help.
Barry

1TB External Backup Drive
"Expect the Best"

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

Woohoo, awesome! Glad to hear it works! 8)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem. I went out and bought a HP printer D2460 and later found out it doesnt't work on my HP WHS.

Is there any way round to get the printer working on WHS or is it simply taking the printer back to the shop ?

By the way this is my first post and I just wanted to say hi to everyone here at the same time.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:20 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

pvorig wrote:
... I went out and bought a HP printer D2460 and later found out it doesnt't work on my HP WHS...

pvorig.... I looked up the printer and there appears to be only Windows XP drivers (no Win2003 drivers); however, I understand that WinXP drivers work in most cases.

Can you describe the steps you've taken to try and get the printer to work? Did you review the thread that Yakuza posted above?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:50 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

tojofi wrote:
pvorig wrote:
... I went out and bought a HP printer D2460 and later found out it doesnt't work on my HP WHS...

pvorig.... I looked up the printer and there appears to be only Windows XP drivers (no Win2003 drivers); however, I understand that WinXP drivers work in most cases.

Can you describe the steps you've taken to try and get the printer to work? Did you review the thread that Yakuza posted above?

Hi tojofi,

Thanks for the response...sorry for the delay, I was doing O/T at work.

I tried the steps however no luck....I even tried installing basic drivers and it said that it will not support the current os "WHS". (just downloaded to the desktop through remote desktop as administrator)

stuck here with a hp printer which doesn't work on WHS....how odd of HP to create a product and not make it work with all OS across the board.

stuck with a new printer...
:oops: :roll: :evil:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

I was able to successfully install the printer drivers for your printer on my MSS, though I had to cheat a little bit. :) Here's what you do:

- Remote Desktop onto server
- Run the Installer for the Basic Functionality printer driver that you downloaded from HP (approx 35MB in size)
- When that fails, hit cancel
- Open Windows explorer, navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\
- Sort by "Date Modified", look for the last modified directory (in my case it was 7zS1A.tmp)

Now is where it gets a little tricky, I added the driver via the "Add Printer" Wizard under Printers and Faxes. However, with your USB printer you should be able to add it directly. Try this:
- Connect your printer to the server
- See if a wizard comes up prompting you to install a driver
- If it does, select "Have Disk" and point to the Temp directory we found above, selecting hphdcsla.inf as the driver file

It should add your printer, and you can then share it.

I hope this works!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:50 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I was able to successfully install the printer drivers for your printer on my MSS, though I had to cheat a little bit. :) Here's what you do:

- Remote Desktop onto server
- Run the Installer for the Basic Functionality printer driver that you downloaded from HP (approx 35MB in size)
- When that fails, hit cancel
- Open Windows explorer, navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\
- Sort by "Date Modified", look for the last modified directory (in my case it was 7zS1A.tmp)

Now is where it gets a little tricky, I added the driver via the "Add Printer" Wizard under Printers and Faxes. However, with your USB printer you should be able to add it directly. Try this:
- Connect your printer to the server
- See if a wizard comes up prompting you to install a driver
- If it does, select "Have Disk" and point to the Temp directory we found above, selecting hphdcsla.inf as the driver file

It should add your printer, and you can then share it.

I hope this works!

Guru Master !!!!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

Does that mean it worked? :D

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:56 pm 
2.0TB storage