It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It's time to replace the PSU I would say.

Lots of people on here have reported successful psu replacements with ones made by KDM which you can buy from their eBay store here.

I think I was just unlucky (I suspect mine got damaged in transit over the Atlantic) but the KDM PSU I purchased was really noisy so I now have one made by Overtek here in the UK. It was more expensive but is as quiet as the original PSU was and has the added benefit of being 80plus Bronze rated.

Whatever you decide, make sure that the PSU you buy is specifically made for the Mediasmart Server family, as it has a non standard wiring arrangement.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Banquo73 for this post
yooperdon

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I went ahead and ordered the KDM PSI. Figured I would have it sooner than the other source in the UK. I will have to see what happens when I have it back up and running. I may still have the issue of connecting to my Windows 10 PCs. At least I know how to take apart and reassemble an HP475 Media Sever now.

Thanks for the help

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is an update for my PSI replacement. The first PSI that I received from KDM was DOA. I contacted KDM and was sent a replacement that I received in 3 days. This is a Mi PC 350 watt unit that has the adaptor cable, but did work. It is a pain to stuff the extra cable and connectors in the cabinet. The sever is now running as it did before the PSI failed. It has a lot of fan noise, which is what others have stated as well. I may try to swap the fan between the OEM and this new PSI to see what that provides me. I know have all blues lights (Disk, and status)

However I am now back to getting the Windows 10 PCs connected to the server. No doubt I will be back to the forum for suggestions.

Thank you for all of your support

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I may have a jinxed server. I replaced the PSI and all lights were blue, so all appeared to be well. I decided to start working on the connection issue again and found that my pass word to the server was no longer valid. I tried several ways to get back to the console, nothing worked. I figured no big deal as I had already removed all data from the server, so I did a recovery to reset the pass word. The recovery went well, but it never asked to enter a server name or pass word. The software stated that the recovery was successful. I had no lights on the drives and a status light that was blinking blue. I did several power off/on, no change. So I did a full factory reset with only the OS disk installed, I did complete a dskchk with no issues found on the OS drive. The system reported that the factory reset was complete and will now load the connection software. The server can not be located and I now have a red/purple status light.

You should know that I tried the recovery from a Windows 10 PC and a old laptop running Windows XP that I used successfully used in the past to ensure compatibility with the server software. Nothing has worked so far.

I hope for a simple solution

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'll try to make this short. I read multiple postings on my status and decided to try a combination of suggestions. I placed all drives back in the cabinet, then connected the PC with XP directly to the server and initiated a factory reset. I received a message that the recovery was a success and will now reboot, install software. I received a Welcome screen with all drive lights out and status was blinking red/purple. Next the Mediasmart server was loading with Netframe 2.0 being first. That all completed fine. When the connection sw started it could not find the server (recall that this was a direct connect at this time) and timed out. I tried several times with the same result. I used my Netgear network search tool to try and find the server. It was not online. I forced a power cycle of the server after I placed both the server and the PC back on the network. The software now was able to locate the server and complete the installation of the Server Console and the connection software. Also this was the first time that I was asked to name the server and provide a new password. All of which are written down!

I now have running a server with all blue lights and appears ready to try and connect to my PCs running Win 10.

No idea why this load required so many steps and power cycling. I will let it run over night before I get too excited.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will no doubt be back to the forum for the connection to Win 10.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:26 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Another update on connecting to a PC with Win10.
I am using the procedure issued by "Lioninstreet" back in 2018. It was the most complete that I have seen so far on how to update the server.

I was able to reach Phase three without issues. My first error occurs when I run the install.exe program that was transferred to the server. The error is "unsupported OS (WXP), ending WSUS offline.

Not sure what my options are now. Anyone has a suggestion, please pass it along.

The good news is that I now have 2 built copies of the OS disc. As I started with a clean disc for this update and built it starting with my version 1.1 Server recovery disc.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I owe everyone an update of this several month long adventure on my 475. After trying to get the 475 connected again to my Win 10 PCs (required after a factory reload) for several months, I had a failure of the power supply. That did not go very well, but the supplier was able to correct the situation. But even with all of the help and a new power supply I could not get the connection. In desperation I did another full factory reload, but this time using Media Server 3.0. This worked fine and I am currently backing up the 1st of 2 PCs. The console interface is different, but it appears to be running fine so far, with our any errors.
My thankyou to each of you that had the patience to stick with me on this. Hopefully I get another 10 years out of the server, and do not have to bother this forum again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have the HP 475 restored and running with a new PSU and with Media Server Recovery 3.0 in place of 1.0. I have connected both PCs running Windows 10. The server is running with all blue lights, so it appears to be good for now. I have set up both PCs with a BU schedule. One completed with no errors. The other PC has the error shown on the screen shot. The description states no error. So how do I begin to find out what caused the error? This PC has multiple drives. It seems to complete the BU without issues and then fails.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8