It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:12 pm 

having trouble with my backup on my x310 data vault. i have tried to repair backup and to clean up back up files but i have run out of room on my x310. I get no where when i try to repair backup or try to clean up old back up files on the Home Console Server

i have logged in with remote desktop and am looking at the file structure there are three folders at Disk D: "DE", "folders", and "shares". The "folders" have 4 subfolders with one having the most files and size. this folder ({00008086-058D....} has a series of ".DAT" files and is taking up most of my disk space on the serve.

how can i delete the backup on the server (.dat files? under "folders" directory?) and start over with the PCs currently on my network?

thanks

Perry

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

ralphie19 wrote:
having trouble with my backup on my x310 data vault. i have tried to repair backup and to clean up back up files but i have run out of room on my x310. I get no where when i try to repair backup or try to clean up old back up files on the Home Console Server.

how can i delete the backup on the server (.dat files? under "folders" directory?) and start over with the PCs currently on my network?
Unless I was trying to recover data from a dying drive, I've always done file maintenance thru the console. Luckily, its pretty easy to do. I'm going to presume you've already found in the console how to turn off file duplication, limit your client backup times, and delete your older client backups.

If not:
Turn off duplication: From Console go to Shared Folders/Select Shared Folder/Properties/un-Tick Folder Duplication
Limit backup times: From Console go to Server Storage/Backup/Automatic Backup Management
Delete older client backups: From Console go to Computers & Backups/Select Client/View Backups/Select Backup to Delete/From Manage Backup select Delete at Next Backup & Apply

After all changes, from Console go to Server Storage/Backup/Backup Cleanup & Repair/Cleanup now. All of these changes will give you file space.

Couple of questions. Are you already running four 2tb HDD's? And when you say start over, do you really want to start over with different hard drives or just create more space?

In either case, grab a HDD big enough to use as a backup drive and you should be able to use the add-in BDBB to backup with your x310. This to capture both the client backup images as well as have extra space to backup your shares on a drive that's not part of the server pool. With this you could then delete most of, if not all the client (and if enabled) the shares backups on the server.

Another option would be to grab either an Startech fan equipped HDD dock or an eSATA external multi drive enclosure. In either case, you could add 24/7 drive space to the x310 that way too.

I hope that helps and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The issue is you don't have enough free file space to delete the backups.
Because it is windows it writes to a temp folder before actually deleting.
First thing I would do is clean out all the admin log files which can be done by remote desktop.
If you have never done so it is probably huge.
My server is offline right now.
But from memory login via remote desktop.
select start then find the admin section then you will find the logs app.
It will open a screen where you can view the logs for system,hardware,software.
Go through each one and clear out all your can.
It will probably take several tries and re-boots if the files are extremely large.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 pm 

yes i don't have enough file space. i have tried everything via the console and i get errors.

I have 4 HDD Three 2TB drives and One 1TB drive. i have a lot of music, video and photo content on the drives. i had three computers using backup on this but one computer is out and only using two computers. on the console, i have ~30% of my space in the music, video, photo files and 70% in backup. i cannot "clean up" the backup files. always get an error when i try. i am NOT duplicating any files on my server.

i have logged in with remote desktop. under admin tools there is an app "event Viewer". but the files are not that large and won't seem to find the logs app.
when i open the explorer app, there are two "HDD" listed
C: SYS -- 20GB total and it has 11GB free space. this looks like any standard windows PC file system
D: DATA -- There is 2 folders in this "HDD". The properties shows 883GB has Used and 27.6GB as free
-- one folder is called "shares" and has all the photo, music and video content under it.
-- 2nd folder called "folders" has 4 subfolders under it with a lot of letters and numbers included in the folder name -- clearly computer generated names. under one of the folders "{00008086-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx7AB4}" there are 1038 files totalling 3.9 TB in file space. Almost all of these files are all have a name "Data.4096.xxxx.dat". with a file size of at least 1GB up to 4.2GB each.

my wish is that these files are the backup files that i have had and i could just delete these files and backup would recognize the files are not there and recover the space and i could back up again.
unless someone has experience in this, i am going to try and move the content in the "shares" folder and then delete these files and see if the server will recover.

so any suggestions?

Perry Ralph

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
The issue is you don't have enough free file space to delete the backups. Because it is windows it writes to a temp folder before actually deleting. First thing I would do is clean out all the admin log files which can be done by remote desktop. If you have never done so it is probably huge.

But from memory login via remote desktop, select start then find the admin section then you will find the logs app. It will open a screen where you can view the logs for system, hardware, software. Go through each one and clear out all your can. It will probably take several tries and re-boots if the files are extremely large.
This sounds like a good idea for me to also try myself. So I opened up desktop and try to find these file locations. In programs, there is only an accessories/system tools section but no admin section is there. Are you possibly referring to the admin tools section in control panel? If so, there is no log app section, maybe it has a different name?

The Disk Cleanup Utility might also help to find some space by clearing out several categories of temporary files all at once. The utility is found in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. At your own discretion, be selective in the options chosen. You can also pickup space by ticking compressing old files too.
ralphie19 wrote:
yes i don't have enough file space. i have tried everything via the console and i get errors. I have 4 HDD Three 2TB drives and One 1TB drive ~30% of my space in the music, video, photo files and 70% in backup. i cannot "clean up" the backup files. always get an error when i try. i am NOT duplicating any files on my server.

i have logged in with remote desktop. under admin tools there is an app "event Viewer". but the files are not that large and won't seem to find the logs app. When i open the explorer app, there are two "HDD" listed
C: SYS -- 20GB total and it has 11GB free space. this looks like any standard windows PC file system
D: DATA -- There is 2 folders in this "HDD". The properties shows 883GB has Used and 27.6GB as free
-- one folder is called "shares" and has all the photo, music and video content under it.
-- 2nd folder called "folders" has 4 subfolders under it with a lot of letters and numbers included in the folder name -- there are 1038 files totalling 3.9 TB in file space. Almost all of these files are all have a name "Data.4096.xxxx.dat". with a file size of at least 1GB up to 4.2GB each. My wish is that these files are the backup files that i have had and i could just delete these files and backup would recognize the files are not there and recover the space and i could back up again.

Unless someone has experience in this, i am going to try and move the content in the "shares" folder and then delete these files and see if the server will recover.
It sounds like you had your backups saving for way too long. I have a full 10 clients, with 5 of them active. This is only taking 475 gb. Yes, those files you are referring to in D:\folders are the backup files, but I cant answer if it's safe to just delete them.

Since D: drive was created by drive extender, it's probably best to explore a few other options before taking that step. This to avoid the potential of also endangering the structure of your shared folders (which I'm presuming you want to preserve). If you haven't already, you should probably get an external drive and dock so you can back them up externally. This in case nothing works (including deleting D:\folders) and you have to do a destructive re-install.

My suggestion would be to first try to pickup space with the drive cleanup utility. Hopefully Ruben will also be able to clarify his suggestion as well. If adding free space that way doesn't give you access to delete those backups thru a client console, try to open the console directly in RDC. You could also move some of your shared data off of the server using either a client or an external drive. Hopefully that will restore functionality of the console.

It's entirely possible that the console isn't working properly because its damaged. So the last option after clearing space is to try a server recovery (obviously choosing the non destructive option so nothing on the D: drive is lost).

After clearing space like this and finding the reinstall still doesn't help, only then would I directly delete files off of the drive extender. And again, I would at least have the shares backed up before trying it. Its a real pain to have your data stuck like this. Let us know how you get on.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay to check log files to clean .
remte to the server select start-control panel-administrative tools-Event viewer.
There are several category's to view
for example select applications.
Then on the toolbar select action then clear alol events.
When prompted select not to save them.
Then do the same for security, system, homeserver,internet explorer.
You will probably get errors while doing them just ignore.
some items will repopulate and when you reboot you may want to read the ones that are errors.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:47 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Ruben, looks like OP's last post was 5 days ago. Hopefully they will post if they resolved. It seemed like their issue was caused more by an overfull full D:/ drive as opposed to the OS C:/ drive.

I ran the cleanup on the log files as you suggested, I picked up a little space but more on the lines of a few hundred kb not which is what OP needed gb.
Ruben Rocha wrote:
The issue is you don't have enough free file space to delete the backups.
Because it is windows it writes to a temp folder before actually deleting.
I googled delete backup temp folder but couldn't find anything. Is there a way to clean up the delete backup temp folder you referenced?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

it is standard windows tools
Defrag and cleanup

Start-All programs-Accessories-System Tools.
You need to do both C: and D: drives

If you have a old install and never visited those options like event viewer and the like they can be quite large.

Damn my new key board is acting up

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:59 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

On my install, I picked up close to 2gb on the C:/ drive, most of it by compressing unused files older than 50 days. The D:/ drive only had 2.6 mb of space to clear by compressing unused files.

I'm thinking since OP want's to gain space on their full D:/ drive, the solution to try to get the console working to do it's thing by temporarily moving some of his shares off of his MSS.

Or worst case, use BDBB to backup the client backup ups, open them to identify their file names, and then manually delete them from the D:/ drive. If that doesn't get the console to work properly, the only option left is a repair install of the OS.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33 am 

thanks for all the ideas. i have tried some but still having backup issues. I ended up adding a 1TB external HDD to the device to get the extra space.

i have tried to clean up and repair the backup file. When it starts up another backup it ends again. i will try and delete one of my PCs (i have two connected) and see if i add it it will allow me to do backups.

i would like to start over but i can't seem to locate my install disk for the server. anyone have one?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just in case you don't know.
Deleting backups is a two step process to do manually.
In the console goto the computers&consoles tab
Select each client by right clicking and select view backups.
Then you must select each backup one at a time and select the option below it to delete at next cleanup.
The selected backup will change to a trash can.
Rinse and repeat for the next file.
Then goto the next client.
When all done it is best to wait till sunday when it cleans itself.
If you goto the settings in the console and select backup there is a force cleanup now.
But I can tell you from experience it will take many hours to clean out one backup file. It appears to handle it better on it's own time.
One backup may take 45 minutes to complete , to force the delete after marking the file to be deleted . The force cleanup option may take 5 or more hours.

Also don't forget to change the backup schedule for each client.
again the console settings-backup select the number of days weeks and months to keep

While your at it might as well check what is being backed up on each client.
Say if you have changed,deleted or added a drive to any client.
In computers&clients , right click a client and select configure backups.
Select the drives you want to backup or deselect any missing one.(remember partitions are counted as drives)

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks