It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm thinking about standing up a WHS V1 box and running it side by side with my 2011 box but I'm not entirely sure which PC I will connect my Media Center PC to. WHS 2011 automatically syncs all of my libraries on the client PC to the server so my Pictures, Music, and recorded TV libraries on clients are identical to those same libraries on the server. Will I get the same result with WHS v1 or do I have to manually add the shares? Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Standing up???
Anyway if both servers are on the network it will appear as two locations on the network.
As far as whs v1 you need to manually add share folders and add content.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

lolol I think he meant start up.....
I use a second WHS V1 server with no clients on it and use synctoy to backup my main WHS V1 server shares.

They still can be useful, depending on which one you have and how much the cpu/ram has been upgraded.

Hope this helps.. Good Luck and enjoy....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Are you still using the original software (and enabling SMB 1 on your clients)? Are you comfortable with that?

I'm struggling with what to do with my EX495 at the moment. I have 3.31 installed currently and have been 100% happy with it....until the issue with SMB 1 being disabled in Win10. I know I can turn it back on, but I'm not sure I want to.
I have maxed RAM on my EX495, but have not upgraded the CPU. It currently has 4 2TB WD Red Drives, but it would be nice to start upgrading/replacing those before long.

So....where to now?

I have access to an old copy of WHS 2011 and can try that. I don't object to going to something else (Server Essentials 2012 R2) if I can without spending a fortune.
My primary use is for file storage (pictures, music, installation files, etc) and backups for my systems. I like the client for management and using sync toy to backup data.

So - I'm open to suggestions.

Turn on SMB 1? Go to 2011? Go to something even newer?

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true. Unless it's really a meteor hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life as we know it. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Alpha wrote:
I have 3.31 installed currently and have been 100% happy with it....until the issue with SMB 1 being disabled in Win10. I know I can turn it back on, but I'm not sure I want to.

With a client, SMB 1.0 left on is a vulnerability. Not so much with the MSS because you don't access the internet with it. Not many folks are aware that the percentage of XP (& w2k3) terminals effected due to the SMB 1.0 exploit was under 3% of all terminals effected, and of those you had to actually execute it locally on the host to become infected.

The kryptoslogic white paper link below states that non updated W7 & s2k8 were the most vulnerable. Updated w10 is also secure.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/15665488/wannacry-windows-7-version-xp-patched-victim-statistics
https://www.kryptoslogic.com/blog/2017/05/wannacry-two-weeks-and-16-million-averted-ransoms-later/

So, I'm actually not to concerned about the MSS being stuck on SMB 1.0. My clients on the other hand; I definitely want to get away from it.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks