It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

There used to be a good guide on wegotserved but that site is gone.

Instead of monkeying with figuring out how to upgrade an unsupported OS, I'd pull your drives out, get a spare drive or two, and just start playing with it. Once you have it like you want. Put your old drives in, back them up, and put the data on to the new system.

Or just pickup another WHS box and run with it...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
DataGeek

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Lion, thanx for the reminder about the 15 day deactivation, that may explain why several of us see this issue on some systems, and not others... I was on vacation shortly after 1803 loaded, had two different 1803 load dates for two systems, and had shutdown my mss....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:21 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If your going to run W10 with v1, you might want to consider blocking the automatic install of the System level "updates", especially if you are running older terminals that the manu. considers not compatible with w10.

Here are a few links on blocking updates:
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updat ... -hide.html
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... g-in-windo

Here's another Microsoft w10 monkey wrench. The links below are for Microsoft's centralized list of previously manufactured system hardware that has been verified compatible with w10. If what your using is not on the list trust me, these new system "updates" become a real pain in the butt, hanging on install, cycle booting, black screening, etc.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0d5c738923

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

on my desktop I have smb 1.0 automatic removal and smb1.0 client checked.
smb 1.0 server is unchecked.
I wish I could help you more but since I never had the issue I never had a need to research it.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Ruben Rocha wrote:
on my desktop I have smb 1.0 automatic removal and smb1.0 client checked.
smb 1.0 server is unchecked.

Ruben, I would uncheck automatic removal so if for some reason the terminal is left unused for a while it doesn't un-install itself.

Isn't w10 just wonderful? ](*,)

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Like I said I never had a issue so I will leave the settings as is.
I have other win10 64 pro clients that have been up since win10 came out again no issues.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Fair enough Ruben,

Don't forget that unlike the prior w10 updates that you've had no problems with, if left on the SMB1 default setting both 1709 and the latest 1803 update is setup to automatically delete SMB1 after 15 days of inactivity.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows

DISCLAIMER: "Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results"

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

lioninstreet wrote:
Fair enough Ruben,

Don't forget that unlike the prior w10 updates that you've had no problems with, if left on the SMB1 default setting both 1709 and the latest 1803 update is setup to automatically delete SMB1 after 15 days of inactivity.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows

DISCLAIMER: "Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results"

This is good info.
Possibly why I have not been impacted yet!

Personally though I have been slowly migrating from mediasmart to a readynas anyway.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I tried disabling smb v1 in my 2011 box but my clients would drop their connections to the server every few days and I would have to restart the server and then all the clients. This was the dashboard application and I could still log into my shares via file explorer but the connection didn't seem to perform that well. I rebuilt my server and left smb v1 enabled. I would love to get rid of it so any success stories are welcomed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I spent a little time today on this SMB (Server Message Block) subject and found a great explanation of what it is, what it does, and why it's so important here: http://www.cifs.com/

As some already know, the issue the earlier versions of it (specifically SMBv1 as used on w2k3/WHSv1) is related to the wannacry attacks of 2017.

Back then, Microsoft offered Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB4012598) a manually installed update for W2k3r2 x86) to combat the vulnerability. So if you install it on WHSv1, your still running SMBv1. But you will be protected better than having an open exposed OS,

At the root of the issue is the SMB v1 file sharing exposure that is apparently also present in SMB v2 and specifically also on v2.1 (used on w2k8r2, WHS2011, etc.), this as noted in Microsoft Critical Security Bulletin MS17-010 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/securi ... 7/ms17-010

I'm not too sharp on all this. But to follow with as much SMB v1 security as is available you should also check the MSS.net thread found here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14601&p=105053&hilit=wannacry#p105053 and install the entire wannacry update package. It contains all the specific w2k3r2 x86 security updates that Microsoft introduced so you can update an existing install manually.

On the horizon is a way to update SMBv1 to SMB 3.1.1, the most secure SMB management as of this post. It is a third party patch specifically for the legacy Microsoft OS (W2k, XP, w2k3, etc.) and is being developed by Visuality Systems. You can find out more about it here: https://www.visualitynq.com/articles/55-upgrade-to-smb3

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:

On the horizon is a way to update SMBv1 to SMB 3.1.1, the most secure SMB management as of this post. It is a third party patch specifically for the legacy Microsoft OS (W2k, XP, w2k3, etc.) and is being developed by Visuality Systems. You can find out more about it here: https://www.visualitynq.com/articles/55-upgrade-to-smb3

I reached out to contact these Visuality people recently and was pretty disappointed with what I was told.

"Basically The NQ solution we developed targets companies who for some reason can not upgrade the old server due to different reasons. Some of our customers are worried to lose valuable information, some has tailored software that they cannot reproduce when they upgrade, some have tens of servers and do not want to go into such big project and many more reasons.

Marketing wise, Visuality has made a decision to target this audience rather than selling it as a commodity product in a few hundred dollars on a larger scale."

What this means is if your a small business or home user of WHSv1, it makes abosolutely no sense to pay what they are asking for their upgrade solution to SMB 3.1.1. So, if your still uncomfortable with SMBv1 despite the handful of 2017 MS updates that are readily available, the logical choice is an OS update to WHS2011 with SMBv2.1, 2012 Server Essentials with SMBv3.02, or 2016 Server Essentials with SBMv3.1.1.

Either that, or just continue doing what you are probably already doing, that being don't click on email attachments from unknown senders...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't know about this issue.After using whs1 and smb1 which was installed on three win10 pc's.
My psu died on the ex490.
Over a year later I purchased a new psu.
Re seeded it with whsv1. all the updates came from online from hp and MS and the PC's still have smb1 installed.
And the windows pc's have updates enabled and have received updates during the outage of the mediasmart.
I guess I should count myself lucky?

My assumption is if you purchase a net new win10 pc it will not have smb1 installed by default.
Where in my case it was installed before the critical updates that remove it.
And I just checked today that the tool for automatic removal it is still unchecked.
And I never touched it.

So go figure.

BTW,
The server is not open to the public outside of my local lan.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hey Ruben,

How long ago was it that you did you do the reseed?

RE SMB: What I saw on w10 1803 update is SMBv1 remains installed but is not enabled. Not sure about 1809 because I avoided it due to it's technical issues.

MS TSB states that with 1709 or newer the update disables SMBv1 but doesn't initially remove it. But if you don't enable it within 15 days, then it will auto remove.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Like I said the psu died over a year ago on the ex490.
I purchased a psu two months ago and reseeded and all it well. Including all the updates.
I did not need any old data so I went with factory reset.
and smb1 is still enabled at least on two client pc's

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:09 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Ruben,

I've done a couple of V1 installs recently too. You might want to check your update install log and see how many were actually pushed. If I remember correctly MS is only pushing about 3 dozen anymore.

There should be about 236 of them based on what is pushed by WSUS off line.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks