It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi - I recently acquired an HP MediaSmart EX470 server which had been unused for some time. It was password protected and the data was of no interest to me so I used the Server Recovery Disc on an XP laptop to perform a Factory Reset. After some trial and error I found that the process only worked if I connected my laptop running Windows XP directly to the server via a network cable. The process seemed to work up to the point where it asked about installing updates. I clicked yes before realising that neither the server nor the laptop was connected to the internet at that point. I tried switching cables but the progress bar never moved.

However, when I restarted the server it lit up all in blue and I installed the client software on the laptop. But I then found that once the software was installed it could not find the server. I can log into the server via Remote Desktop and I see the server in Network Places. I can see its IP address and I can ping it successfully. I can open the server's directories in Explorer and read and write files on the server. But at the Windows Home Server Console login I enter the password and after a pause it says 'The computer cannot connect to your home server...'.

I tried some of the suggestions I found in the forum to connect via a web browser. It does not respond to https://[ip address]/connect (time out) and hpserver:55000 returns "Server error in '/' application".

Is there something I need to do to get the server to be recognised through the client software?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Were you using static ip's when connected directly?
Could be you just need to uninstall and reinstall the connector software on your desktop.

Also if you performed a reset, the connector software will change with each server update.
Meaning you will need to do this a couple of times till the server is up to date.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the advice. I logged in through Remote Desktop and performed a Windows Update multiple times until it reported no more updates were available. I then reinstalled the connector from the version in the server's Software directory (rather than on the original CD) and everything worked fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The cd is supposed to look at the server for more current versions but a lot of times the best thing is to just goto the server and use it from there.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks