It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:31 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I just got my ex47x running again and happened to notice my Server Recovery disk has ver 1.1 of WHS on it. In my console settings/general tab, windows update is set to "on" and if I try to update now I get a popup window stating that Windows update has failed, that it can not complete, and (of course) try again later.

Thinking I could manually update the OS, I thought I had struck gold when I found this wiki below on updating WHS v1 from 1.1 to 2.5, but now I am seeing I might have opened a can of worms. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _the_EX47x

I already happen to have the .exe file MSSDV32134990 Server Update for the v1.3.0 update as well as the MSSDV33135433 Server Update for v1.33.

First unknown on all this: Am I wrong to presume that I would need to install v1.2.5 before upgrading into 3.0 or can I just bypass all the below? I am thinking upgrade version by version due to the compatibility issues with the newer hardware versions. Apparently HP had to go to a dedicated v1.2.5 disk for ex47x users to get 2.5. In fact I'm not even sure that v1.3.0 would work with the ex47x. Clarification on this upgrade path would be much appreciated.

The step by step outlined on the link to get to v1.2.5 is pretty clear. But unfortunately, the only link to the downloads required for the pre-setup phase that are still live is the HP link.

I was able to find:
The Java jre-6u5-windows-i586-p-s.exe file is available direct from the java archive site
The Apache apache-tomcat-6.0.18.exe file is available direct from the apache archive site

The image magick file the wiki states is needed is ImageMagick-6.5.1-7-Q16-windows-dll.exe. But the closest to that I've found is 6.9.9-50-Q16-HDRI-x86-dll.exe, direct from here: http://www.imagemagick.org/download/binaries/

Compounding this is that Twonky 4.4.4 (delivered as part of the HP MediaSmart Server 1.3 Update) I would have no idea how to find and doesn't appear on the Twonky site.

If I have to upgrade 1.1 to 2.5 first, does anyone still have the correct Image Magick & Twonky files available?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well I can only speak of a ex490.
I would backup a bit run recovery again not reset and let it do it's thing.
It could be hp and MS are not pushing out updates for that model.
But for a ex490 a few have posted the updates are still there a few months ago.
I have tried manual updates before and sometimes they don't work because you have updates from ms and hp.
So they need to be in order.
If anything I would run the hp update first before trying the ms update.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Ruben!

HP update is working but not finding anything. Microsoft update not working, the way the error message is worded makes me think the EX isn't connecting with Microsoft. It comes up within a second or two of clicking the upgrade now button in the general settings screen

"Windows Home Server Updates Failed: Windows Home Server updates installation can not complete. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart the server"

I've gone to the extent of doing a reinstall of the restore disk, no luck, I also tried to update using RDP but the server is locked down and wont connect to the internet at all.

My setup is with a Wireless Dell D630 laptop running XP connected to the internet thru my wireless router. The ex47x is hardwired to the laptop.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:55 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Forcing a update from ms has caused grief for me at times.
How long ago did you run recovery meaning waiting on a update?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

With manual updating failing, I went in to the server using RDC and set the server update time to do it's thing. But the time I set came and went with no luck. So I then hardwired the server to one of the LAN ports on my wireless router and tried again to the update using the WHS console, this time going back to the manual update.

Interestingly enough, this seemed to work. I came back to the terminal to find PPK 1 in the middle of an install (hanging as it was waiting for me to grant permission to upgrade IE). Once install was complete and the server restarted, software version is still showing as 1.1.1.13411.

I then hit update again and watched PPK2 install and did another restart. Recources shows PPK2 is installed, but the software version still shows as 1.1.1.13411 under hardware status. Same situation after installing PPK3, still running ver1.1.1.3411.

Couple of questions arise:

1) How does the software version shown relate to the PPK number?
2) Back to my original question, how do I update ver1.1 (especially considering the power packs are updating)
3) Is it possible to download the software versions, the updates, and the powerpack files individually so they can be stored for future use?

I did write down most of the KB numbers for the updates being installed with the intent of a clean install of WHS, confirming all the KB numbers, and doing individual downloads and saves of the updates from Microsoft at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

Problem is that the powerpacks pull up as no longer available. Same with about 20% of the remaining updates that were shown titled for either server 2003 and/or XP. Clearly they are still coming from somewhere. Sure would like to find out where...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well it is called whs1 because it is version 1.
pp3 is the most current ms update.

I don't recall off hand where the update files are saved.
Gardian knows.
but while it is working I would try the hp update again also.
That is the one you need.

you can run it from the console-settings-mediasmart server tab hp update.

also you can check the windows version and powerpack ver in the console under settings-resources

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks