It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm 

I have a HP Media Smart Serve EX475. Always worked great as far as performing back ups of my various computers. I have had all sorts of problems trying to restore a computer from a backup on the server. Latest situation is my hard drive in my laptop crashed. No problem, just restore from the server. Well, I need help. I am using the HP PC Restore Disk which boots fine in the laptop with a new hard drive installed. The problem is the laptop via the restore CD cannot locate my HP Server to begin the restore process. The Restore CD program is telling me I need network and storage drivers to continue the process. I have downloaded the network drivers from the Asus site, but no luck. I remember this happening before but cannot remember the solution. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What os is your laptop?
Normally,
If you look at the backup using the WHS console there is a folder that is named something like windows home server drivers for restore. In that folder should be the drivers you need.
You will need to copy them to a usb drive.
Plug that in the laptop.
start the restore cd
When you get to the part showing what you have to install with ,which is probably nothing scan the usb drive it will add the drivers for you. Then display that you have them.
It should then show you have a nic and storage drivers.if not copy the driver you downloaded to the usb drive. And try again.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thanks for the reply. The laptop was running Windows 7 before the HDD crashed. I should have mentioned, I downloaded the drivers for the laptop from the server back up, but no luck. When I scan the USB drive, it does not find anything. Any other ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You said you downloaded the drivers from the asus site.
they need to be non exe files to place on the usb drive.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm 

Finally got it working. I remember that the WHS software operates in Vista 32 bit environment so I had to download drivers for that OS. One last question, The WHS console shows two volumes in the backup for the laptop. One is labeled "OS" and the other "Data". Does this mean the old hard drive was partitioned and when I format the new hard drive for the laptop, should I partition it as well? Thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have noticed that "Folder that is supposed to have the driver for a restore" seems to not work.
I believe if you are on a 64 bit os that you are backing up, it pulls the 64 bit drivers which won't work on a restore.
I'm just guessing, haven't tried.
But it is getting harder to get the raw 32 bit drivers. And as 32 bit fades away, If my guess is right it will become increasingly hard to do a restore.

I have started going to the PC's around the house and using windows backup to create a system image backup to a folder on the server and set it to monthly, time mid day when nobodies at home.
That way I might have two shots to restore. It does take up room, but it might be worth it if I can't find 32 bit drivers.

Normally I just reload clean, as all the pc's keep any extra files on the server, but with all the updates now days, doing a restore will save time, if it is in a good state when it goes down.
And most are not including recovery disks anymore like they use to, your lucky if you get a recovery partition which needs to be backed up as well.

Glad you were able to get it to work, Microsoft had a great idea with WHS, to bad they abandoned it. But I will be using it till it won't go no more. :-)

Good Luck and enjoy!!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks