It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 am 

Hello,
Had my EX487 for awhile, i had to replace the power supply several years ago, other than that, it has been flawless.

The other day i noticed it was on when it shouldn't be (I have it set to go off at 1am and on at 6pm), it does its backups between 12a and 1a. There has been no backups for 9 days, I reboot it, its running realllllly slow. I finally get it back up and am able to copy everything off (its an iTunes music server when its on also), and I decide to do a factory reset. That works perfectly and it still shows my 2gigs of RAM, so everything appears to be good hardware wise, and its actually backed up twice (took a long time).

Can i just replace both drives with brand new ones and do another factory reset and the reset CD will install all the software properly?

TIA!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If you don't have the smart addin then I would plug the drives into your desktop and run chkdsk,before you blow your money on replacing two drives that may be fine.
But if your drives are older than your new psu it may be a good time to replace them before they do fail and now while you have all the data off line it would be a good time to do it.

I could be that one of the backups something has changed on that client like a newer os
Have you recreated the backup jobs to see if say a drive (hidden) is missing. WHS treats the hidden partitions as new drives so for example if you upgraded a os to win 8,win10 there would be a error on the backup that says it failed for that drive and to rerun the backup utility to allow it to run again.
To answer your last question you should be able to do a factory reset if you plan to copy back all your data
Or a factory reset if you want it to attempt to rebuild your data if you only replace one drive.

But in both cases it will never recreate your client backups or user accounts.
You will need to fat finger them in and start making backups to get them again.
Remember that you will probably need to reinstall the client connector on any pc's a couple of times as the server updates.

And one last concern.
The server has been end of life for years.
Some have reported that the updates still work but you never know when they won't
So that is another reason you may want to replace both drives at once and hold onto your old ones in case you don't get server updates.
If you do get updates there are lots of users that would want to know. Also there is a way to copy the updates from the old disk and place them on the new ones.

It is your choice which way to go.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

It actually is seems to be working now. Turning off and on when scheduled, doing backups.

Its all very odd!

It updated to 2.1.7.24261

Prior to that I was running 2.5 before my factory reset.

I would love to buy a new one, but I honestly can't find one that is as plug and play as this was and acts as a music server so easily.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

that is all that counts is that it works now.
Maybe just some corrupted files.
If it were me I would still install the SMART addin to get details on the status of the drives.
The sooner the better.

Also not sure on the EX487 but on the ex490 power pack 3 is the last latest update.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am 

SMART addin?

Thanks for replies!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

it is a add-in S.M.A.R.T. runs in the console and gives you detailed information on all your drives.
Pending failures temp. etc.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:25 pm 

Excuse my not knowing, but I didn't see it in the list on the Add-ins link....

Got a link?

TIA!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Smart is free and a must have to keep an eye on your drives, it will warn you long before windows server will if a drive is starting to go south:
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

If I was you and wanted to keep the server for a few more years, I would buy 2-3 WD 2 TB Red drives (not the pros) And replace, factory reset and copy back all your data. Drives are so cheap these days, I keep 6-8 spares around, just in case, but I have 4 servers, two running and two loaded/updated and boxed.

Then go into settings in the console and keep clicking on HP updates till it doesn't find anymore, then keep clicking on windows updates till it doesn't find anymore.

Also, when you have all the HP updates, you should be able to find them on the server and make a copy of them, just in case HP stops pushing them out.
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\.applied you will have to go in using remote desktop to find these.

I reloaded a server in DEC/Jan and they were still pushing them out. But my guess is they won't be much longer...

Goodluck and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks