It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Back when the WannaCry vulnerability was in the press, Microsoft had issued a patch for it on Windows 2003 (which applies to WHS v1) even though it was end of life support wise already. This was back in May 2017. I didn't get around to applying this right away because I wasn't aware that Microsoft Update was no longer being used by Microsoft, and you had to apply the update manually from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55248

A little while after that in June , Microsoft had a manual rollup of several more Windows 2003 security vulnerabilities that they put out even though 2003 was out of support. These also would apply to WHS v1. The Microsoft manual download rollup page for these, as well as for Windows XP, is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025687/microsoft-security-advisory-4025685-guidance-for-older-platforms

I missed these too because there was not alot of press around it at the time. So I ended up applying the KB4012598 (WannaCry) first and then months passing before I learned about the others and applied them also to get my WHSv1 as up to date security vulnerability wise as possible.

I meant to post these tips a long time ago, but got sidetracked with work. I've been running these patches for a few months with no problems. And I still use my HP EX495 to handle daily backups for 8 clients running Windows 10 (none of them have a UEFI BIOS or GPT so backup and bare metal restores still work fine). It runs alongside an HP Gen8 microserver with WHS 2011.

Of course your mileage may vary, so I would encourage testing them carefully and preferably with a test environment before applying yourself.

Just thought I would pass along the pointer since these are manually applied security updates, and you would never know about them unless you watch for the Microsoft security advisories.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just applied all of these, only one wanted a reboot which was nice. And all seems to be working well.
Thank you for the info, I was kind of waiting till someone else tested them.
I have saved them in a folder with my HP 3 updates for down the road.
Thx again and Good Luck and Enjoy! WHS V1 still rules !!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks