It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am hearing lately that HP has stopped pushing out patches.
If that is the case, do we have them stored somewhere? Or are we just out of luck?

I'm going to reload one of my spare servers soon to check this, but thought I would ask.

Thx for any all help info links.....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have found two updates. Are these all the patches?
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-MediaSmart-Servers/3969714/model/3969716

Edit:
I just confirmed that this link will get you to 2 of the patches for mediasmart/data vault
Patch 3.0 patch 2
Patch 3.0 patch 3
But, I can not find Patch 3.0 patch 1 for download.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just did a factory reset on a spare x-510 and I can confirm on this day 10-8-2016 that HP is still pushing out all (3) patches.
Then I went to windows updates:
158 windows updates
4 windows updates
1 windows updates
Then added Smart addin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Think I found patch 1 if you have access to a server that has already been patched you can find it here:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\.applied called MSDV301433083ServerPatch.exe
(about 150mb) I assume you could run this, reboot, then ran hp update which let you install patch two and then three, which would put your server at software version 3.3.1.35433.
I have not done this, but found it using google on another forum.
So FYI! I noticed in this area a "Pending" folder, I wonder if you could put all 3 patches in there and then run the HP updater in the console and it would find them and allow you to install them? May have to try it with a fresh recovery unplugged from the internet and see if it flys....

So anyone that is worried about HP stopping the patches, you can grab a copy of all 3 and be ready for down the road, Maybe, Yah! \:D/

Last edited by Gardian on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am, edited 12 times in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
beachdog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just downloaded the patches just in case. Too bad they're not cumulative so it looks like we are still dependent on HP to keep pushing out the updates to get patch set 1. Fingers are crossed. As someone who has other discontinued HP products, this can come without warning since it seems that the discontinued products are in "support no-man's land". As long as no one bothers to take down the support server and the server doesn't die or get decommissioned, the "support" continues.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If the above works I will feel alot better about the future of WHS v1 which I will run till it won't work no more. And I just don't see that happening.
Microsoft may stop pushing the 2003 server updates, but I can download them using the offline downloader, so I see WHS v1 working for a long time.
:mss: :whs: :sanjuan:

GoodLuck to all and Thank you again Alex for an awesome website!!!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Does anyone know if the files still get pushed?
I'm in the process of re-installing, so it is sort of interesting at the moment. The folder .applied, does not exists on my Data Vault X310, so i cant steal them from there... (.pending is empty, so i suppose they have been applied, but cleared of the system at some point... It's been running for years at this point, i might have done something...)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Two weekends ago I reset my extra X-510 and HP was still pushing out the updates.
Microsoft was not pushing out as many as before, but at least HP still is.

When you get done, you might want to go to the folder I mentioned above and grab a copy of all three for when they do stop.

Good Luck.

Thanks  
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Guardian,

Thanks for the detective work on the HP updates.

Are you aware of how we can also save the Microsoft KB updates? Today 6/11/18 they are still available for download when installing the WHS V1 OS (all the way thru PPK3) but I'd sure feel more comfortable if I had them sitting on a local drive somewhere...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have tried to use WSUS OFFLINE UPDATER and it hung about half way through, so ended up just going out to MS and grabbing what I could.
But this page offers a few one could try: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

I believe mS has made it where you can't store them for later because they don't want us using them to long. I believe they do it on purpose.
But that's just my opinion.

I don't have the time to try all of these to see if any will work. I just reloaded all 4 of my and put two back in the boxes for later, just in case.
I would run WHS v1 without the windows updates, since we have the three WHS v1updates, I could live with that. Some could not. Depends on your usage.
I don't have mine open to the internet, so I don't worry.

Sorry I don't have more, If I do find the time and find something that works, I will post back, assuming this board is still here :-)
Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
I have tried to use WSUS OFFLINE UPDATER and it hung about half way through, so ended up just going out to MS and grabbing what I could.
But this page offers a few one could try: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

Gardian & all,

Since mid June I've been working on and off with this issue of capturing the MS updates for off line storage using a install disk v3.0.

Suffice it to say that at this point there are strengths and weaknesses in each of the four programs listed on Raymond's web site. I've also stumbled into something called Windows Update Mini Tool (WUMT). While not an off line updater, it will let you copy off the specific Microsoft URL that each update comes from. Most of the arrows are pointing back at WUMT off line as the solution for capturing and integrating the 200+ updates for both s2k3 and WHSv1 into an off line install package. Once I've gotten it streamlined enough that it's painless, I'll post a summary thread.

I'm guessing the same procedure will probably work for Vail too, but first things first.

As far as the HP updates go:

What I've found is the 49x/x510 3.0 recovery disk of 9/09 not only installs the MS OS root files and WHS v1 pp2 (with a couple of other WHS updates), but surprisingly, it also installs the base 3.0 HP MSS software (v3.0.6.31983, 304mb). This was verified by checking the servers OS control panel/add remove programs before installing the Software Install disk from a terminal.

Apparently, this v3.0.6 must be in place so Patch 1 v3.0.14.33083, Patch 2 v3.2.13.4990, and Patch 3 v3.3.13.5433 have something to sit on top of. But at least 3.0.6 will run a w7x64 terminal without any of the patches.

I've tried to find this file on the server with no luck. Making this more of a challenge, for some reason the server OS wont let me do a "search" as I try to find where this file gets loaded into. When I have an explorer window open showing the server "C" drive and click on the search button, nothing happens. And the only thing that shows up that is even remotely close when you look in the recovery disk is the primary OS .exe file.

So here's a couple of questions:
Any ideas on how to locate this 304 mb v3.0.6 file on the server (or even pull it out of the recovery disk somehow)? I also have it as an .iso.
Does your search function work when your in the server on the "C" drive?
Wasn't there something with XP32 that was at issue with search tool?
And lastly, if you are running a server based on an older 47x or 48x recovery disk, what HP updates and patches are you showing in the server C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\.applied location?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Xp is long gone on my clients.
But from memory.
XP32 defaults to just very few folders not all.
Example temp, tmp, etc.
You need to find the index setting and add the whole c: drive.
I recall you can also set it to index what is in files.
When you do it will take a longtime to index the complete drive.

There is a way to search one time outside of what is indexed but it takes just as long.
Might as well index the whole drive one time. so subsequent searches are faster.

Also don't forget to turn on view hidden files in explorer.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks Ruben,

Turns out WHS doesn't have search built into the start menu. I did enable it in Services but it shows a lot of user exclusions, including the primary user. So I installed a program called locate32. It did the trick, and found a lot of .exe files in HP, WHS, and related folders. But no .exe program on the OS partition looks remotely similar to the HP 3.0 (or 1.3, 2.5 etc) software naming convention. Or for that matter even close to the programs shown install size of 304mb.

Yet there it is, showing installed in add/remove programs. Maybe someone else reading has an idea what I should be looking for?

I suppose a last resort would be to try using a third party program remover like Revo to un-install it and take note as to what was being un-installed and were it was located... But that would trash the OS install and it may or may not actually locate the executable.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have never installed this on the server but it works very well on a desktop.
astrogrep
It does require framework 4 or higher
It is extremely fast compared to windows grep.
Which will run on older systems.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

astrogrep looks like it could be the solution. I'll try it using the version syntax on all the exe files installed on the c: drive and see what happens.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:58 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Still no luck locating and removing for off-line storage the root HP v3.0 update that comes on the ex49x disk, either by trying to extract it from the install disk or from a clean install itself.

However, if you haven't run across it already, here's the link to the instruction thread showing how to do a full off-line update install of all the WHSv1 Power Packs w/ associated Rollups, the associated MS w2k3 updates, and the 2017 wanna-cry updates. All 236 of them.

Also included are the how-to instructions for copying and reinstalling the three HP v3.0 server patches, also fully off-line.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14784

This because MS is only pushing about 36 or so updates for v1 anymore. So if your WHS happens to need an OS recovery or a factory reset, you can do it without worrying you've got all your files on a server that's running with 200+ security & critical updates missing...

EDIT 12/28/18:

If you've installed WHSv1 in the last six months or a year and don't want to settle with a partially updated OS or you just want to make sure the OS you're running is fully updated, the two programs below will do that for you. Both are capable of recognizing the updates that are already installed and just adding what is missing.

WUMT: This program is an on-line updater that requires an internet connection but will work for you as long as MS leaves the URL links to the update files live. Just download it and drop the zip file onto the server desktop, extract, and run it. You will need to restart and rerun manually for each update set.

WSUS/WHSv1 Off-Line Updater: This program actually contains all the updates so no internet connection is necessary, Just install it and use per the instructions in the above link.

Good luck and happy serving!

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello all, that might still be around.....
I have 6 2tb WD red SSD in route to completely rebuild my server.

OS Drive:
I will be installing two of the SSD's in a "Icydock EasyConvert MB982SPR-25-R1" DualBay Raid enclosure.

This will allow me to have Raid 0 on two 2tb ssd and by theory, if one dies, I should be able to run on the other one till a replacement drive is added back and the rebuild is done.

For the other 3 bays.
I have purchased 3 of the FenLink FL1510 2.5 to 3.5 convertors. These are strong drive holders that are open air so cooling should be a non-issue.

I have all the Patches as detailed on this thread.

I am 63 and retired now. The only thing I have had to do to the server is replace 2 drives and the power supply. It has and is still awesome!!

This should be the last rebuild for this system. It has "severed" lololo my family well for many years and should continue to well after I am gone.

Lastly, thank you so very much to all that have made this site what is is. And a HUGE thank you to Alex, the man who not only made this site but helped make one of the best products for data storage EVER!

I dream at night of a X510 running Server 2016 Essentials just like it did in the old days. 8)

If this completes successfully, I will report back....

God Bless to all.. Gardian out for now...

Thanks  
haroldas194, lioninstreet