It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello.
I installed the add-in but it does not see my 4 internal Hdds while it see the external Hdds
How can I make it work?

Attachments:
Immagine.JPG
Immagine.JPG [ 389.14 KiB | Viewed 154271 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I see your server is an Acer server. I know Smart works on the HP mediasmart servers.
I wonder if you need to update a driver so Smart can access the drives on the backplane?
I will do some searching, this has to have come up before...

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, I did see some problems with the earlier version of smart. Are you using the latest version?
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip
Goodluck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Please enable debug logging. I see HSS Classic debug reports uploaded to our FTP server, but I don't know if yours is one of them. Please go into HSS Settings, and on the Advanced tab, make sure SmartInspect debug logging is turned on. By default it is not. Check the checkbox and click Apply. Then go to the Service Control tab and click Restart Service. This causes the HSS Classic service to restart, and debug logs will start getting collected.

Let this run for a little bit, and then in the Settings dialogue you can click the submit bug report button. This zips up the report files and sends them to us. Please reply here to let me know your server's name so I know which report to look for.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Please disregard my earlier post. I do see your debug logs, based on the ACER500 name. In looking at the logs, I cannot help but wonder if you're not dealing with a corrupted installation. Over and over again I see the following errors reported:

P/Invoke identity operation failed.
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'IdentifyUsbDriveRpm' in DLL 'HomeServerSMART.Utility.dll'.
at DojoNorthSoftware.Classic.HomeServerSMART.Components.InteropSmart.(Int32 , Byte , IntPtr , COMMAND_TYPE )
at DojoNorthSoftware.Classic.HomeServerSMART.Components.InteropSmart.GetUsbDriveIdentity(String physicalDrivePath, DiskIdentityData& did, IDENTIFY_DEVICE_RESULT& result, String& exceptionMessage)

The message "Unable to find an entry point named 'xxx'" has varying methods. It makes me wonder if the HomeServerSMART.Utility.dll file is damaged.

If you don't mind, please go into Windows Explorer on your Acer 500 server and open this folder - C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server. In there, please look for a file named HomeServerSMART.Utility.dll. If you pull up the file's properties, it should have a Digital Signatures tab--this indicates the DLL was not tampered with. Can you please provide me with the file's properties, date, time created, size, etc.?

If you don't mind, please put the DLL into a zip file and email to bugtraq (at) dojonorthsoftware*DOT*net.

I just opened the production DLL using DLL Export Viewer (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dll_export_viewer.html) and verified the exported functions (entry points) are in fact visible. So for some reason your machine isn't seeing them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

One last thing I might suggest too.

1. Try uninstalling Home Server SMART Classic.
2. REBOOT the server.
3. Reinstall HSS Classic.
4. See if it's working correctly.

I can't help but wonder if you were previously running a really old version of HSS Classic. It is possible that even though HSS Classic was upgraded, if you didn't reboot, the old DLL might still hang around in memory. This is not uncommon with COM-based DLLs. So even though Windows reported uninstall completed successfully, you may need a reboot to ensure it is cleaned out. I've seen cases where folks have upgraded HSS Classic without a reboot, and it acts flaky until the user reboots the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:49 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've done enough investigating to call this one a bug, and I've got it fixed. Look for a new build in the next day or two. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello msawyer91.
Long time since I started this topic... I've been a bit around the world, now back at home and taking care of my old NAS...
I downloaded and installed your new version, but again it is still not working.
Can you please help me to fix this problem once for all?
Thank you.
M.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What server do you have?
Is this the addin that you installed on your server (I'm assuming it is WHS V1)
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

This information may help.
Good Luck and Happy Holidays!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Gardian.
Nice to hear from you after a couple of years, hope you are doing great.

The machine is the Acer Aspire easyStore H342

And yes, I am running the WHS V1 and I have installed exactly that software.
Somewhat, the Smart has never be able to see my internal HDDs, only the USB HDDs, since the first time I installed it years ago.
I tried every version (both old and new) but no success.
So I have never been able to check if any of the HDDs have problem and I already replaced 3 of the 4 original HDDs (only the one with the OS is the one from the first first day....)

Strange thing, last one I replaced a few days ago is having a strange behaviour, but you already know that because you answered my other topic! :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It really sounds like that system has a OS problem, and not knowing the status of the OS drive and you say it's the oldest and your having problems with a replacement drive, I'm calling recovery or if you have backups and some time, I do factory resets and copy backs.

That would be my guess. If you refresh that server I bet it will fix both problems. Smart and the new drive.

Plus it will give you a chance to install a brand new OS drive while HP and Microsoft is still pushing out the updates.
I just reloaded a server two weeks ago to see if they still were and they are, but I am afraid they will stop in the next year or two. So might be a great time to reload while you can....
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yes, I agree with you that possibly the system has OS problem and I like the idea of a factory reset after 10 years

I am a bit worried about:
1. doing everything right
2. time to do it

Do you know if I can install a new OS in the machine and move forward from WHS1? for example WHS 2011?
And can WHS 2011 be installed with only 2GB memory? Because my Acer H342 has this limit.

Also, yes I have backup of everything and I still have an empty slot in my NAS, so I am thinking:
is there a way I can reset the system, install the OS (both WHS1 or WHS 2011 if possible) in the new HDD
and then add the old pre-filled HDDs instead of copying everything back via LAN (it would take me ages...)?
Would that possible?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, onlt two ways to install WHS v1 that I know of:
1) Reset, all drives in and pick Factory Reset and it will format all drives in the system. This is what I like to do and before I did it I would get a new 2TB OS dive and perform the reset with it. Then copy back all the data, create the users, reinstall all the user clients connector and install addins. Fresh and clean with all the updates.
2) Take that new drive out that is not being used, Then get a new 2tb os drive and do the recovery instead of reset will all the rest of the drives in, it will take awhile, but with any luck, overnight it will complete and then after a reboot or two you should be able to put the storage drive back in and it should start using it and you woild re-install your addins and hopefully smart would work as well. All the connectors will most likely have to be reinstalled.

I would go with one, I like fresh installs and copy backs as it is clean and I can confirm the all my data is clean and readable.

As far as whs 2011, that would be a completely new install if you had the vga adapter so you could see and you would have to format and do a copy back with your data as it would not be able to use the old storage drives that were setup for whs v1 till they were formatted.
Dual boot, would no be an option, I believe it would be impossible unless you had a diy server and lots of drives for each OS, the os'es could not use each others storage drives.

I would suggest to stay with HS v1 untill it won't go any more and then completely switch over to whs 2011.
That is my 2 cents.
Or start building a DIY server and put whs 2011 on it and slowly migrate your data over and maybe just use Whs v1 for backups. Some have done that or just sell it to offset the diy server build.

Things to think about, I tried whs2011 and didn't like it, some do.

Good Luck and enjoy, at least you have a backup of your data whic a lot of people don't. :-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Gardian.
I have been busy with life... now back to this problem.
I'd like to make a new fresh install, but I have nearly 18TB to copy back in via lan, it would take forever...
Any suggestion of how to make it faster than via lan (if possible)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, 18 TB is going to take a long time no mater what you do. I have less then 8 TB and it takes all night.

The only other way to be faster would be a Esata external hard drive enclosure. some of the 4 bays are not to pricey.
If I had that much data that is the way I would go, USB would not be mush faster then Lan unless your not on a Giga Lan, you you are not on a giga lan, I would be looking at updating that. I updated my house about 5-6 years ago to Giga router and giga switches with all new cat 6 cables.

I rip all my dvd's to MPG and I knock them down in quality to no more then 2TB per. I scarf iced the quality to save on space. Just so if I have to do a copy back, it won't take forever.

Good Luck, Windows Home server is great because you can access the data outside the server but I feel for people that have lots of data, 1) How do you keep a backup of your data and then moving it all when needed becomes a large task.

In my case, I run a second server to backup all my data, I will not use the cloud. :crazy:

Good Luck Hope this helps....

Thanks