It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:29 pm 

Hi there
So m bios is corrupt on my BIOS HP Media Smart X495 Server

I tried to make a boot up usb with Rufus and then I downloaded some software, but nothing worked.
Please can someone help?

Regards
T

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well a boot disk has nothing to do with bios issues.
Can you expand on how you think the bios is corrupted and what your setup is?
Are you using whsv1 for the os?

Could be nothing more than a bad hard drive.
Which means replace the drive and depending on your setup possibly a recovery using the included cd's.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

2nd what "Ruben Rocha" says.
On a headless system, how do you know the bios is Corrupt?
And why are you using Rufus to try and fix it?

Rufus has always worked fine for me to make a bootable usb drive, I have mostly used it to create win 7 pro 32 bit and 64 bit OS install drives.
A little more info and we can help most likely....

But:
While we are on the subject of Corrupt bios.
Ruben, what happens when sometime down the road when my 495 / 510's bios battery goes bad? Since I sleep them every night they are booting up every morning, so sooner or later that battery is going to die.
Will replacing the bios battery and booting up, just work?
Do the 495 - 510 bios go to defaults on it's own? Or will I end up attaching the vga to respond to a bios prompt or will I have to reset to defaults?

I was just thinking, it would be nice to know (before) it happens.
I have a spare 510 in the garage I could try it on, but just don't have any extra time unless it is a 911 event :-) Thought you might know since I believe you have replaced a battery or two?

I know what happens on most desktops when you replace the battery, I'm assuming the mediasmart is no different and will need some help.
Thx for any/all info.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 495 battery still works but I have the assumption that when it does die I will need to get to the bios after replacing the battery.
It makes since to me. Because I have had desktops that halt the boot due to a dead battery and required a user intervention for the bios to accept. I assume the 495 works the same as any other pc.
However some desktops just keep working but the datestamp is wrong.
Not sure if they eventually get updated by themselves because I always updated the date.

But I have the debug cable if needed.

PS,
I probably should replace it anyway with the age of the unit.
But I have been busy with other projects.
Because I know when I break it down I will want to do a complete cleaning job on the inside.
At that point I will know for sure.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I wonder, if you replace the battery with the server plugged in, if we can get away with it not knowing, I doubt it.
I have had the same experience with desktops, it boots, waits for you to hit enter and it goes into windows but with the wrong date /time.
My sister did that for about a month till she told me loloololol Then I replaced the battery, set the bios up and life was back to normal.

Being a headless unit, they had to know the battery will not last forever, it would be nice if they had something that would reset back to default with a couple of boots.
One of these weekends I will pull a battery and see what happens.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

How the hell can you do that?
Lay the psu on the table after removal and then while plugged in replace the battery?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

lololool I didn't say it would be easy or even a good idea :-) I do have a couple of spare Power supplies I could use one lolololo

Changing a bios battery while the system is powered, probably not a good idea now that I say it. :rofl:
That is how desperate this mediasmart owners is, anything to keep them alive lololoolol But now that you say it, might be a good way to kill one..... :-k

I have the next 2 weeks off and one of my 510 needs a cpu upgrade, I hope to have time, if so, I will try the battery while it is apart and see what happens and post back.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well let me know.
Because I know my day for a dead battery is soon.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wondered if this problem got fixed? I'm pretty sure his bios was fine, unless the had the vga adapter he would have a hard time corrupting it anyway.
I still haven't tried a battery change, maybe next weekend. Will post when I do with what happens.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hey Guardian.
Did you ever get a chance to pull the bios battery, replace it, and see if everything remains set as before?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Recently I happened to notice my terminals would mysteriously lose the ability to password into my MSS data shares.

The first time it happened, I ended up chasing my tail troubleshooting for a little while until I discovered the server time had defaulted back to 2002 (or something like that). Once I had resynchronized the time, all was back to normal. The second time it happened it didn't take long to put two and two together. Unplug the server from 120v to clean out the dust bunnies, and the time would reset back to yesteryear. Yes, my BIOS battery was dead.

All this to say I also now have a spare testing MSS that's also networked. So before changing out the battery in my data server, I shut down the spare, pulled the BIOS battery, hit the start button once or twice to fully discharge the board, and then let it sit for a bit. Just to be safe, I then checked the voltage of the removed battery to verify it was still OK fine, then assembled. This just to see what would happen.

As is typical with most mobo's, the only consequence I saw was that all BIOS settings (fans, boot order, etc) had reset to default. And of course the time was again showing back in yesteryear. But other than that, no issues. If I remember correctly, the default time check for WHS is every 24 hours. Meaning if you were stuck operating headless, you could actually do nothing for a day, the time would correct itself, and access would be restored.

So if you want to service your BIOS battery and you then want immediate access to data, just be aware you have to RDP in to server desktop to manually synchronize time or the server shares wont recognize your username and password.

With the server out of time sync, I never bothered to check if the terminals were being recognized for backups, but I cant imagine how they could have been if user names and passwords weren't being recognized.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks