It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:28 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110S1/

I think this might.bring new life into our old favorite server. Can anyone take the time to measure the width of the original motherboard. I think this board might be just 1/10" inch to width. If it is that close then a little shaving of board and plastic should help it fit. What are everyone's thoughts on this idea.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:57 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just my 2 cents, I have done some Modding back in the day, but I don't see this one (in a mediasmart case) as a thing to do.
1) The mediasmart motherboard is about twice as long as it is wide. So if the rear is at the back of the case (where it would need to be) then getting to the front usb would be a reach.
2) The mediasmart motherboard has a riser connector in the middle of it for the harddrive backplane.
3) The power supply is not wired standard, so would need to get a standard power supply.
4) I believe this looks like an awesome little board and I am a Asus fan both motherboards and video cards. I believe one could find a better case that this little gem would fit in and actually work a lot better then a mediasmart case.
5) This little board looks to only have two sata connectors (while it does have two M2 connectors) no pci slot to add more sata.

I could see this little gem in a descent small case with a couple of 8 or 10TB drives for storage and the M2 running the OS and maybe a OS backup drive. Then you could use the USB for an external harddrive 5 to 8 bay for more storage.

Great find, just don't see it in a mediasmart.
Good Luck and Thx for the info.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

New.board gets rid of power.supply all together. Front sub can be ran with and detention cable. And the m2 data can be converted to saga connections. Does not matter how long the old board was at all as long as it fits width wise. The old back plan gets pulled out to make room for running data cables up the back. Can still.have passive cooling when using the installed fans to create.some air flow. I am sure we could figure out. A way to sit the sata 3 connections into 4 data 2 connections. Anyone else find a board out there with more that might fit?

Thanks