It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: L3110 In an EX490
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Not sure how much this forum is followed any more due to the age of the mediaservers but thought I would ask. I have an Ex490 and have read a lot about cpu upgrade but still a little confused about if I have to do any bios mods to install the Xeon L3110. On one site I read that it will work fine and you can install it on the 495 with doing nothing but on the 490 you have to reset the bios as it's a dual core and the celeron is a single core. If that is true can I just unhook the mb cmos battery for a bit and then boot machine. Thanks in advance

EX495 (Xpenology OS)
3 Xpenology servers home built
Raspberry Pi3B (openmediavault)
Nvidia Shield
Many windows & Linux Computers
Odroid XU4 server (openmediavault OS)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: L3110 In an EX490
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, Great question. But first, here is a trick question.
"What is the best thing to like about pork? EVERYTHING!!!! lololol

But back to your question, I had not heard about that cpu as being an option so I did a quick google and this is what I came up with:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-L3110-vs-Intel-Pentium-E5800

As you might guess I have (4) X-510, same hardware as the 495 and I have E5800 and ram upgrades in all of them.
Now, why did I use the E5800, well, speed and price. I can pick them up on ebay as pulls for about $50 each and they are almost the same as the L3110. And as I have not heard of the L3110 working, I would of course recommend the E5800.
Also, something neat but unexpected was the temp the E5800 runs at, it runs cooler then the stock cpu, guess it doesn't have to work as hard.

I did a little more googling and see where it should work "without" bios mods.
I would say, if you have one already, install it and see what it does, the only thing I saw bad was the 480 models will not sleep correctly without a bios mod, but the 480 series seemed to need a bios mod for everything #-o

It's not the dual core that is the problem on the 495, it's bios is ready for dual core, it's the bus speed of the xeon, the xeon bus speed is 1333 and the stock cpu and the E5800 bus speed is 800.
So if the xeon works it is because it is backwards compatible to run at 800 bus speed. Because that's the same speed the ram runs at as well.
If that is the case, unless you already have the xeon, your better off with the E5800.

As always, use the best silver heatsink paste and air can clean out the inside while your in there.
IF you don't have the Free Smart addin, then you should, it's a must have in my book.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip
And lastly, always have a backup of the data you can't lose outside of the server (just in case)

Good Luck and enjoy Let us know which way you go and how it's working.
There are still some of us that lurk about to see what is going on and try to help when we can.
This site is still the very best on the net for anything mediasmart/WHS :mss:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
porkenstein
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks so much for the great info. I do have a L3110 already and will see how it goes and if not will buy a E5800. I have been messing with these for years but sold my last one a few years ago. I am retired and bored at times so bought another one for 100 bucks on eBay. Thanks for the info and glad there are still people messing with these. Will post my results when done.

EX495 (Xpenology OS)
Nvidia Shield

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Awesome, I hope it works for ya, if you already have it no sense spending anymore money to tinker.
Getting old myself (started PC at DOS3.0) I really have enjoyed the mediasmart series and will run WHS V1 till it won't run anymore. :-)

FYI, I did notice a difference with the cpu upgrade but not so much with the ram upgrade. I just logged into my server and see that even running a backup of a client in the background it just doesn't use the extra ram. see pic

Attachments:
X_510 power.jpg
X_510 power.jpg [ 34.67 KiB | Viewed 19217 times ]

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
porkenstein
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I ended up buy an E5800 on eBay for only $6.00 shipped. Working great and so much faster. Was going to upgrade ram to 4gb but not sure after you saying it made little difference. Thanks for the advice. Didn't even bother trying the Xeon. May try it later but it's running at 40C right now which is great though haven't put the top back on the server yet. Hope the little guy lasts forever. Because I am backing up windows 10 UEFI machines I think I will also use Acronis as I have a copy and real easy to restore.

EX495 (Xpenology OS)
Nvidia Shield

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The only difference in ram would be the cas rating for a benefit.
Meaning how fast the ram is.
It is not so much more memory but the latency of the ram.
A lot of people will say installing more ram helped but going from stock to newer compatible ram cards it is usually faster ram because it has a better cas rating..
So the lower the cas the faster the ram. But the lower the cas the higher the price.
here is one link to read up on:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... s-ram.html

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Oh, Win10 ](*,)
I just read a post from "Ruben Rocha" on the problems trying to recover a win10 client.
Sounds like Acronis might be the only way to back it up and be able to restore it.

I keep base images + goodies and updates of all my clients and then tell them to keep all data on the server, that way if they have problems, I just nuke the OS and reload the base image and they are good to go once I get the connector re-installed.

I have fiddled with a couple of friends win10 pc and it seems like it has a pretty good repair program in it, being able to reload and keep your files sounds good, but I still don't trust it to far.

Good Luck and enjoy!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:34 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

good to see these still trucking along. Full diaclosure. I have 5 ms servers. 3 are ex495s 1 is ex490 and 1 is ex470. the 470 has been upgraded to the amd chip that wss the highest with bios mod. the ex49z are all stock. However due to more closures in retail i have been unemployed for almost 90 days now as a former general manager. This has left some time on my hands. i have 3 of the mediasmart running xpenology dsm and i also have a ds1812 real synology nas. with the exception having to pull the 4th drive bay closest to bottom of case on boot these nas servers are solid as a rock with dsm. I had the opportunity to pick up 3 4gb sticks for like 25 each with some crafty ebay watching skill and am planning on upgrading processors in 3 to 2 e8600s purchased for 18 dollars and i have a donor e8500 as well. looks like fun. I bought a debug box before the guy shut the service down. what i really need to do is purchase 1 or 2 power supplies to keep in a drawer. I modded the one on the ex470 that burned up successfully but its loud now. not sure if its a venalation issue or not. Also the realtek drivers for lan can be a pain in the ass foe these boxes on dsm xpenology. What i regret most of these boxes is no ability to add usb 3.0. its a shame really. but hey i paid about 399 refurbished for one ex495, one i bought as an ex490 and it ended up being a ex495 as labeled on sticker for 89 bucks. another for 75 shipped and i cant remember the other one. they are often sold by recyclers and thrift stores on ebay. overall great boxes. serve up 4k 1080p you name it at gigabit speeds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry to hear about the downturn, we are in full "bust" mode here in Wyoming as well. I had the luck (Not) of breaking my back and ended up in the medical field in tech, so I am at 24 years and counting. I hope you are able to pick something up soon.
The mediasmarts were such a great idea and they came such a long way from the 470 to the x-510 if only Microsoft had been able to build a OS that was like whs v1 but 64 bit.

But, we will plunge on into the night and keep them working any way we can. lololoolo

You made me think I should have mentioned the E8600 which will work as well, but it runs a little on the hot side for me and I didn't really see any improvement. The E5800 seemed to be the sweet spot for speed and heat.
I often think about the Q????S cpu's but know they will run to hot and the mhz is slower so I keep myself in check.

I am open to a new OS although windows is hard to break away from, being able to pull any drive and read it is a safety net that is hard to give up.
But I am waiting for the HP Gen 10 to be fully released and see if they have a faster model (I hear the cpu are soldered on the board) so want to get the fastest. They have the CLEAROS on them, I have been looking and it looks like it could be a replacement, Backups, it's able to use serviio which is what I use for streaming now and for under $400 is a good range for the hardware your getting.

Good luck, enjoy your downtime while you can, I have never NOT worked for very long Blessing or curse not sure.
But thanks for sharing, media smarts were the best, really still the best idea HP had. I'm glad I happened to stumble onto this website at the right time, looking for a better server and boy did I find one. :mss:
Take Care....

Thanks