It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

So, it seems that all of the "lost files" are indeed lost. Drives from bays #2 and #3 do not have any of the missing files.

I have duplicates of most movies and tv shows at my girlfriend's, so it won't be a total loss. The most interesting thing is, I don't much care. :banana:

I have recovered what I could from the remaining drives. I guess the next step is to introduce the new drive wipe the shared files, then start over.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Cool, Yes, before you start putting drives into the server, you would want to format them (when they were in the server before, they got a special format) there is a thread about re-using drives that have been in a server.
If you don't wipe/format them, the server will get confused because it will see it as a drive that was in before.

So, bottom line, if you add a drive (that has no data on it you need) then format it in a usb to sata dock or another pc before putting it in the server. Then after it is formatted,

When you put it in the server, in the console it will ask if you want to add it to the pool, you would click yes, it will tell you it is going to format the drive, are you sure, you say yes.
(That is the special formatting that you need to get rid of before reusing a drive.)
Then your storage pool should show you have more room after the new drive settles in.

Good Luck You are going to woop that thing yet :cheers:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I didn't mean to go dark on you. Thank you for all of your support. I appreciate it. I've been busy upgrading my laptop to W7 from Vista, believe it or not. And, the OS drive on my desktop was also showing signs of failure. I cloned my first drive and am elated that it works. The thought of re-installing all of my programs just sent me into a tail spin.

So, the server had to be put on the back burner. I do need to look at the new drive that I introduced to the server ad see if any data got transferred to it, before I wipe all of the remaining drives. Speaking of drives, I see we are ow up to 10TB, single platter drives. It's believable.

I will post back when I get something else done.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ossodiseppia for this post
Bert Wise
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

No problem, I check to see if I can help and I know life gets in the way!
Yes, I remember when the first 1gig drives came out, I bought one for about $300 if I remember right. Never was going to fill that up :rofl:
Then my girls bought me my first 1tb drive some years back, that was way cool, not sure what they paid for it.
Now I see 4-6 tb drives on sale for under $200 it has come a long way. Here pretty soon, instead of a server we will be buying 6-8 tb usb external backup drives. :-)

My win2012E server has two 4 tb reds in it and two empty bays for two more.

Good luck , hope things start working better for ya. I will be watching, this website has helped me a bunch in the past, I just try to help back....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Today I decided to get back it. I took a nice long look at the system drive. IT's been running hot at 44C. And the SMART disk monitor said the drive was in "pre-fail", I decided to bit the bullet. When some of us work on our cars, we have the saying, "while you're in there..." So, since I had to restore all of the files and drives, why not the system drive. IT took a few tries, but I eventually got the OS installed and am now on my way to loading the files, one drive at a time.

More to come...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Awesome! I believe in the long run you will be better off for it.
A clean slate and once you get past the recovery, should be smooth sailing.
You will download all the windows updates and then all the HP updates (at some point you may need to upgrade your connector as the versions change) then get the free smart addin installed, accounts made, turn on duplication on for the folder shares and set back and let it do it's thing.

I have been running mine since the last recovery in 2010 and still running strong.
I sync my data about every 1-2 months to a second server and then update the non-pooled backups about every 6 months to a year.
This way if the main server goes down, I can just switch to the second server and if somehow they both got hit by lightning I would still have all the data safely tucked away on 2 drives on the shelf.

I'm still watching for the HPE Gen 10 microserver with the CLEAROS because I am getting old and my daughter doesn't seem to have the windows bug like I have had so a new os on a gen10 server might be good for her when I'm gone.

But, back to your new beginning, glad to hear, good luck and enjoy. As always, shout out if you have problems...

Last edited by Gardian on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Gardian wrote:
Awesome! I believe in the long run you will be better off for it.
A clean slate and once you get past the recovery, should be smooth sailing.
You will download all the windows updates and then all the HP updates (at some point you may need to upgrade your connector as the versions change) then get the free smart addin installed, accounts made, turn on duplication on for the folder shares and set back and let it do it's thing.

I have been running mine since the last recovery in 2010 and still running strong.
I sync my data about every 1-2 months to a second server and then update the non-pooled backups about every 6 months to a year.
This way if the main server goes down, I can just switch to the second server and if somehow they both got hit by lightning I would still have all the data safely tucked away on 2 drives on the shelf.

I'm still watching for the HPE Gen 10 microserver with the OneOS because I am getting old and my daughter doesn't seem to have the windows bug like I have had so a new os on a gen10 server might be good for her when I'm gone.

But, back to your new beginning, glad to hear, good luck and enjoy. As always, shout out if you have problems...

I appreciate the support. The HPE Gen 10 looks saweeeeet! HP website indicates they are available now. Imagine 4 10GB drives in there!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I believe there will be two models of the Gen 10 so I am waiting to try the fastest.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have been away for a while but in my situation I am going in the opposite direction when the time comes to replace my ex490.
Install a nas, probably a netgear ready nas. less overhead.
Using the xraid option to allow multi size drives within limits
Has dual Ethernet ports for faster transfer speeds
Then for backups install something like ease us on each client. Or use the built in backup.
4 bays are somewhat competitive in price. 6+ bays get pricey.
The hard part for that is I have a lot of 2 and 3 tb red drives.
Which I would need to abandon to go with higher density drives to take advantage of higher storage capacity in the nas.
Unless I go with >4 bays.

You don't get the readable drives like whs1 but?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:25 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

:offtopic: Little off topic, but I'm with ya man on the dislike of windows that is building for me.
I have used windows since win3.1 and have enjoyed it for a good many years, but the last 3-4 years, Microsoft seems to have taken a turn for the worst. I refuse to use win10 (spyware) and who can afford win2016 and the whole cloud thing is data loss waiting to happen, plus lack of privacy.
Microsoft doesn't want us to have home servers anymore, but I got news for them :-#

That is why the Gen 10 "CLEAROS" sound like I would like to try, I see it supports serviio which is what I am using now for streaming/DLNA.
And yes, we can use the builtin backup app in win7pro which is what all my clients have anyway.

Down the road, if microsoft doesn't change course, then I will be looking at chromebooks or macs or a combo.

Maybe keep a win7pro gaming box around until I see which gaming platform might replace it (PS4) maybe.

It's a sad day to think where we came from with WHS V1 and how great it was to where we are today. :crazy:

Last edited by Gardian on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well, I think I am out of the woods. Everything that I could recover has been reloaded. I've yet to determine what, if anything is missing. Two of the disks have been complaining about running warm. One at 41 degrees and the other at 42-43 degrees. I reloaded the MSS fan control add-in and made some adjustments and sped the fans up to +125 rpms. That has lowered the temp of the two hottest running drive to around 38 degrees. A couple of others are at 34 degrees. So, I think I'm ok.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hope while you had it apart you blew out the dust bunnies on the fans and cpu.
But even 43C is not that hot for the drives. They usually are rated for like 60C
Could be the ambient temp. they are located at.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Believe or not, I periodically vacuum the innards. But, not this time. Thanks for reminding me to do that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Glad to hear your back up and running, sorry to hear you may have lost some data.
Drive temp and system temp is always something I keep an eye on.
The reason why I ended up using the WD red drives was because they run so cool and help keep the overall system temp down.
I use to use hitachi deskstar drives (deathstars as some called them) because I had great luck with them, but the down side was they run really hot, so I keep them in my backup server that does not run all the time.
And I keep the server up on a rack where it can get plenty of fresh air. Even then I had to tweak the Smart addin to not alarm quite so easy, just upped the warning temp by a few. We don't get many triple digit temp days here in the north so it stays pretty happy most of the time. I end up cleaning it when I see the temps up.

But anyway, again, glad to hear your running again, having a backup outside the server of the stuff you can't lose is the first lesson I learned with these servers. Since it has windows, ya just can't trust it ](*,)

Which reminds me, I havn't sync'ed my server to the backup server in awhile, time to do that today.
Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Since I got my server, I've kept it on an upper shelf in the hall closet, next to my garage. I put it there to grab on my way out, should I ever have to make a quick exit. I've moved the server to my office where it's not so closed up and the drives are running a bit cooler. Honestly, if you saw my office ad desk, you'd agree, I don't have a lot of acreage there to keep my server.

I was reading through Matt Sawyer's posts about the SMART add-in. He doesn't seem to think that temperatures in the low 40's is an issue. Still, I panic when I get the warm disk notice.

On another note, I see some folks are running newer versions of Windows Server. Eventually, I would like to have all of my computers backed up to my server, but with limited storage, it's going to be a huge problem.

I'm thinking of installing a newer version of Windows Server so that I can run larger capacity drives. What are your thoughts on upgrading the processor and installing a newer version of Windows Server? Will the console work with a newer version? Remember, I'm a novice. :D

Thanks