It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: 4TB Primary HDD
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 am 

Anyone running a 4TB primary drive on their EX490/495?
I want to run 4x 4TB drives eventually using Windows Server 2016 Essentials and DrivePool

This'll work won't it?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: 4TB Primary HDD
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would want a OS partition of about 250-500 gig probably max and the rest could be part of the pool.
The only thing you would lose would be speed, using a spinner instead of a ssd for the os.

I believe what your asking is: Does winserver2016 allow a OS drive larger then 2tb. I believe it does, but backing it up might still be the problem, I'm not sure where they are at with the whole 2tb os backup thing.
But in reality I can not see why one wouldn't put in a small OS partition as described above.

When I ran winserver2012E I had the OS in a icydock that held 2 ssd in mirror in the bottom bay and then had 2 4tb drives in the other bays. Worked ok, 4 gig ram is a little short but as long as you don't load it up to much it worked fine, the E5800 cpu upgrade helped.

Good Luck and enjoy

P.S. Who can afford win2016 when they are just about giving away win2012 for like $200-$300??

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:03 pm 

I've already installed a Q8200S CPU but will increase the RAM before I start to install.
I would rather use a smaller SSD but would still like to have all 4 drive bays available for my storage. It's a shame there isn't a way to add a 5th SATA connection to that back board inside the server, rather than run the OS on an external source.

Thank you for your reply, I'm tired of all the fans on my EX475 and so upgrading to my EX490 I'm hoping will make it a little quieter.

P.S. I've also got a fresh copy of Win2012R2 but want to try out 2016E

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I agree, if only the mediasmart had a couple more bays. If it had a M.2 port on the board.
If Microsoft would have re-created WHSv1 on Win2008. But we are stuck with what we have.

The Q8200S will run hotter but if you have the vga/mouse/keyboard you will be able to enter the bios and reconfig the fan speeds.
I ended up building my own, it's in the DIY thread. I have the OS running mirrored on two SSD, a 1tb red for backups and 4 bays that have 2 4 tb red drives in them right now. OS is winserver2012E.

I am waiting for the New HPE Gen 10 microserver, it may have an extra sata port inside for the OS, that would be cool.
Why they didn't put a M.2 port on it is beyond me. Maybe they will listen some day.

You should be fine with the 4tb for the main drive.
Even WHSv1 used a partition on the main drive for the os and then used the rest for part of the pool.
If you want an option to "storage spaces" I would recommend stablebit drive pool. But I hear the storage spaces has come a long way to working.

Good Luck and enjoy, let us know how it's going. I like to hear what others are doing.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks