It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, great. Thx for the info. Win7 64/32 should work ok.
Thought the RE was the red, but the format and set active would be ok.
Good Luck Once ya get it , you should be more confident in the future.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkdpqdFoMwb7zFWoFEF7JXQ2xtju
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkdpqdFoMwb7zFaQIb_5NWkY5PK4
Here is a link to my files. You have to add the image file from your EX490 DVD to the correct folder.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks Diehard, Im about 80% going in that direction at this point.

After beating my head against the wall today still no love...

This is what happens now. I begin the reset with the paperclip (health now light blue/white after ). Start the recovery process on the desktop. I then briefly see the Tftpd application popup window (2x). I tried to catch the application by clicking on it but its gone as fast as it appears. Then after about 10 seconds the health light starts blinking red and the recovery stops at step 2.

I've tried setting the IP4 address from automatic to 169.37.37.37 / 255.255.0.0 as well as trying the IP ending in .44 (no default gateway or DNS server). I also tried another terminal (albeit both were running w7 64). I also tried using the drive with the working copy of WHS v1 on it. No go.

The NIC light instead of showing a solid green on one side and a flashing orange on the other (as it does when the working copy of WHS is running and connected to the terminal) is showing a solid orange on the side that is normally green and nothing on the other side. I'm presuming this means the terminal is not yet communicating with the server, yes?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

After a few more tries I was able to open the Tftpd application and using the wiki tried to better determine what the issue is. But I'm still in the dark. The attached file is a screen shot of the Tftpd application while running and below it is the screenshot from Yakuza's terminal while step 2 is loading. I took this just before a step 2 error popped up again.

Also unlike in Yakuza's example of the .jpg from the factory reset process during step 2, I have a blank VGA screen during this portion of the reset process. He on the other hand can see the client MAC address, GUID, Client IP, Mask, and DHCP IP.

This is craziness...

Attachments:
WHS restore stop.pdf [330.24 KiB]
Downloaded 793 times

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It appears your nic card is working (I think) from the picture.
Question, you said the screen is blank during a certain part of the process, I assume you have the vga adapter attached to that server?
If you do, do you have the Jumper attached so you can enter the bios?

The reason I ask is I believe I have read if the jumper is on the motherboard for bios access on a ex-490 / x-510 it will not let it do a recovery.
I believe I tested this years back and found it to be true. It would not let the recovery happen, when I took it off it worked fine.

Someone can call "bullchips" if they have done it with the jumper in place, but I would be checking to see if you can access the bios, and if you can, I would be pulling that jumper and try it again.

I have preformed at least 8-10 recoveries/resets and only had a couple that did not go. One was when I had the jumper on.

Hope this helps, let us know, this has been the worst one I remember that wasn't bricked or had a bad nic.
Good Luck

P.S. I assume you are not close to my location, if you were I would be glad to try and help in person... Let me know if you are.....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:42 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have had the debug board installed for years and I have never needed to open up the server to remove the jumper.
For me I have found success when the install fails at step 2 or three by,
Wiping the disk partitions created by the cd using diskpart clean all and reinitializing the disk and start over.
This makes the disk appear to be brand new out of the box again.
format does not erase everything.
when using clean/all it writes 0's to the disk which takes an extremely long time so I usually cancel the operation after a few moments which is good enough to erase the MBR.
Then while it is still in the pc just reinitialize the disk using disk manager. No need to format it since the cd will format it anyway but go ahead if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

As I said before recovery can be fickle even with the same disk.
One time can take many attempts and the next time it goes flawless.
Now a reset usually goes first time. I guess that is because it is not trying to rebuild all the tombstones.

But looking back in time I don't think I have ever tried it in one pc I upgraded to win10 64.
The pc I used the last time was win10 32 bit.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
Question, you said the screen is blank during a certain part of the process, I assume you have the vga adapter attached to that server? If you do, do you have the Jumper attached so you can enter the bios?
P.S. I assume you are not close to my location, if you were I would be glad to try and help in person... Let me know if you are.....

Gardian,
I do have the jumpers set to go into bios. I will change that. It's been a while since I built the box but to change it back I remove the jumper, not set it on other pins, but it seems like some things work for one person and something else works for another.
Also, based on the stickied thread "I have no confidence in being able to do an OS restore," I think I should double check the system time in the bios before changing the bios jumper.
Im down in Fla but your offer is still tempting... Wyoming must be awesome this time of year!
Ruben Rocha wrote:
I have had the debug board installed for years and I have never needed to open up the server to remove the jumper.
For me I have found success when the install fails at step 2 or three by, Wiping the disk partitions created by the cd using diskpart clean all and reinitializing the disk and start over. This makes the disk appear to be brand new out of the box again. format does not erase everything.
when using clean/all it writes 0's to the disk which takes an extremely long time so I usually cancel the operation after a few moments which is good enough to erase the MBR.
Then while it is still in the pc just reinitialize the disk using disk manager. No need to format it since the cd will format it anyway but go ahead if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
But looking back in time I don't think I have ever tried it one pc I upgraded to win10 64.
The pc I used the last time was win10 32 bit.

Ruben,
I am using completely unused hardware on the install. It took a bit of time to gather it all up. To me the score was the sealed box 49x I found last year. I do have several RE4 disks. It just so happens that the one I am using I formatted before the restore attempt.

Not that it matters but the server is a modified 490 with a 4gb of RAM, a Q9550, and debug board. I also put some Noctua fans with better bearings in it since the HP's were the first thing to go on my 47x back in the day.

I'm going thru all this because I have no confidence at all in the Seagate the box came with.

So by now the Flash drive boot is really sounding appealing... I got Diehards files and bluetdi sent me the .pdf (which I later found in the stickie above). Only problem I'm only about 85%-90%% clear on the instructions since my field is not IT.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

even though the drive is new.
the cd has formatted the drive created two partitions and probably partially installed files.
That is why I wipe the disk.
If you are not worried about preserving data on the other drives then perform a reset not recovery.
It is just a different option on the cd.
The difference is if you have other drives with data they will all get formatted.
Where a recovery will try to preserve the data on the pool drives.

As I said in the previous posts for me I have had few issues with a reset.
Due to the destructive nature of reset versus recovery I have only used it a few times. When I opted to start over due to multiple dead disks.

And I don't know why you keep trying a static ip???? It just causes problems.
If you want a static ip for the server ,then after the install then reserve a ip in the router.

The only issue I see that may halt the install is possibly the q9550. They do run very hot and possibly the unit is shutting down.
Back In the day most people opted for the q9550s which runs cooler.
Could be due to the tiny fan in the bottom is not running or no paste was installed on the heatsink for the cpu.
Since you have the debug/vga board just boot into bios and check the temps to make sure it is not shutting down for over temp.
Since it takes a while to get hot enough for the error to occur you probably will need to let it sit in bios for a few minutes.

I have never even bothered with the flash boot from usb but you would need to use a specific port in the rear.
Only one of them is set to boot from.

Also I am in Florida. In fact the north side of Tampa.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I can easily wipe the disk, no data, this particular server has never been used and the new primary drive and remaining 3 data drives are un-used.

Ive tried static IP's from .33 up to .44 as well as using the automatic setting. No go either way

I think I did use the 9550s, but I'd have to pull the heat sink off to double check. In the mean time. I checked bios date and time. Date is fine but the server is about 6 seconds ahead of the terminal. Not sure that matters.

In Bios/Advanced/Hardware Health Configuration the PECI CPU Temp reads (greyed out) :0C/32F. I haven't found anywhere else that would show CPU temp.

You mean Floriduh..
I'm near Ft. Laud.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The time should sync up when you finish.
If the date was way off by like jan 1 20-- then maybe the cmos battery is dead.
If it were me.
Don't set any static ip's

wipe the system drive using diskpart clean/all not format
place the drive back in the bottom bay of the server.
Don't add the extra pool drives at this point
Direct connect the pc to the server, bypassing any router,switch or hub.
reboot both pc and server.
Meanwhile on the server use the paperclip.
Once the server is in recovery mode.
Run the cd and elect factory reset not recovery.

Ft. Lauderdale is about three hours away.

As far as the Ethernet port colors go.
It does not sound 100% correct.
If I understand you correctly.
You may want to try a different cable.
When there is activity the green should usually flash.

You keep giving more info each post.
So the ram could also be a suspect, if it is untested.
another item to check in bios.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

It's prolly gonna be tomorrow late afternoon or Friday before I can fight this battle more. I have a colonoscopy tomorrow AM (sorry for the over share). Will try your setup suggestion after that wears off and I can sit down again...

The Bios shows the CPU is Q9550 without an "s" so I'm going to pull the heat sink just to verify what I put in there.
RAM is also new (not that this guarantees anything). How would I use BIOS to test? I thought I needed something like memtest to do that.

I have tried 2 cables, one a premium cable from monoprice, the other the cable that came in the server box.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, this has been a journey..... By the way, good luck with the "colonoscopy" I get my second one next year.
But back on topic. :shock:

Being in IT for a living, I know about starting with a base virgin system, getting it running, getting all the updates, setting everything up so you know a solid starting point, then a few weeks to burn-in and make sure everything is ok.
Then you upgrade the ram and make sure it is doing ok for a few days, then upgrade the cpu with good silver paste and make sure it is working ok and not frying.

If the CPU you have doesn't have the "s" I would pull it out before it does break something. Not only will it cook the system, it will be pulling way to much power.
The E5800 for around $50 on ebay works great and runs 10 degrees cooler then the stock cpu.
Ant way,
Since Ruben Rocha is close to you I will bow out and let him take care of you as what he is saying, I second. I have always preferred resets and data copy back.May be why I don't have as much trouble as the only times I did have problems was when 3.0 upgrade came out and I tried to do a in-place install and the the second fail was a recovery.
Ever since I back up my data and if problems arise I just reset and go.
Good Luck and I will be watching to see what it takes to get ya going.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:24 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

First steps,

System will boot into desktop using the original Seagate drive NP. Nevertheless, double checking non-OE hardware I added in are the correct/working parts.

Confirmed replacement processor is a Q9550s SLGAE by finding the purchase invoice. Will have local comp shop will load test the ram or I will try to load and run memtest on the server. If it will I should be able to install the coretemp gadget as well and see if it will verify CPU temps.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Awesome, if you have the Q9550s, that is a great cpu, does run a little warm especially would in Florida without AC.
But with good fans it's a work horse.
Good Luck Hope something works out for ya. These little servers are hard to beat and normally are not that hard to work with.

You can boot to desktop but can't do a recovery, that is strange.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Progress report... :cheers:

The OS is now loaded on the 49x using W7 64, but not without multiple tries. Note that when the server went into what looked like recovery mode with the paperclip method yielding the blue/white blinking health light, BIOS would not begin the boot process. What would happen is after 5-10 seconds the health light would go from blue/white to on off blinking red. The same happened by pulling the primary drive before boot, starting the server, then after a few seconds installing the drive. No BIOS boot start

Ultimately these are the steps I took to get the OS loaded:

1. Verify server is off
2. Start terminal w/LAN cable attached and internet working
3. Verify no WHS software is installed on the terminal
4. Download recovery disk to desktop
5. Disable all 3 firewalls (domain, public, private) in control panel/admin tools/ win firewall / firewall properties
6. Disable anti virus
7. Restart terminal in safe mode with networking
8. Change LAN cable to OE server cable, no internet connection now
9. Start recovery software and move thru ULA to recovery instruction page
10. Prepare server with formatted primary drive and paperclip to reset, DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTION TO START SERVER BEFORE STARTING THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE
11. Start terminal recovery software
12. NOW, start the server, press reset, (as stated above, my health light was blinking blue/off no matter if I hit reset or not}
13. Server should obtain IP address and quickly move thru PXE to begin loading WHS software

If I varied from this, Either the IP address wouldn't be found and I get a step 2 of 4 error, or the terminal wouldn't throw the "you are now in recovery mode" pop up, causing the OS to not load and the step 3 of 4 error.

With this victory I can now boot the server directly into the OS using the 1gb RE4. Next step for is to try loading on the hard drive I want to use as the permanent primary drive, a 2gb, 512byte sector, three platter, WD Gold Datacenter drive (WD2005FBYZ) or the four platter RE4 WD2003FYYS. As neither are 4k and at the 2bg capacity max for the 32bit OS, either should work just fine. I'm leaning towards the three platter but they seem to be an extra $50-$60.

I'm also going to attempt this OS install using Diehard's flash drive method and will keep updating this thread on my results. And I picked up a Dell d630 32bit XP laptop on the cheap and should have it within a week so I can setup one of my old ex47x's to pull the OS files off of it.

Now, onto the client install process. As mentioned in an earlier post all my terminals are 64bit w7. Of note is the connector didn't autostart as it would on my ex47x. According to an HP document I found, connector seems to requires the server to be running MediaSmart Server Software Version 1.3.6.21622 or later to get the connector to work with x64 terminals (that with the ex47x).

Since I used the OE 49x recovery disk to do the system install does that have the connector that's 64 bit compatible? How would I confirm the version I've installed? And, Is there a way to update this directly from the server without the console being installed on a 32 bit client?

Might start another thread for that x64 process... I cant seem to find a lot on it.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks