It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 am 

When I backup from WHS 2011, the resulting disk cannot be opened from Win7 on another PC. The response is access denied. It was not encryped by Bitlocker as that feature is not installed in my WHS 2011. There are no other encrypting options on my server that I can find. I have tried to use Windows explorer to determine whether the disc content shows a letter E in front of the items, but I still get "access denied."

I do not want or need encryption on this particular backup and am not concerned that others may see the contents.

I have searched through many microsoft and community forums without finding the way to allow me to access the backup disc contents on another PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello and welcome.
Just to be clear, you are talking about a backup of a 2011 server?
Or are you talking about a backup of a client that is connected to a 2011 server?
If it is a client backup, what OS is that client running?
These will help to know.

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am 

It is a backup of the 2011 server and not a client.

Kerry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, that will be helpful to know.
My best guess is "Microsoft" Just like the client backup database, can not access outside of the restore process.

This may be a starting point for you. Bitlocker may be enabled by default when 2011 is installed???

I would look at the bottom of the page where it talks about disabling bit locker.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh228214(v=ws.11).aspx

Good Luck Let us know if you find a way that works for you, others may want this same thing.

P.S. It sounds like that backup could be accessed with the admin credentials. But have not messed with one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:26 pm 

If I open Server Manager on the WHS 2011 Server, Select features and then select Remove Features the list shows the following with an unchecked box in front of it.:

Bitlocker Drive Encryption (Not Installed)

This is why I indicated that Bitlocker had not been

I used the following instructions as suggested:

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption
Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click Turn Off BitLocker.
A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

There was no System and Security selection in the server control panel. I found nothing useful in System so I searched conrol panel for Security and got a long list of items that were not helpful. I searched again for encryption and found " Manage file encryption certificates. I chose "Set or create a file encryption certificate and key." The response for the server was " Your computer does not currently have a file encryption certificate.

Therefore I cannot confirm there is any file encryption ability as WHS 2011 has been installed.

So why do I get the "access denied" when I try to access the drive on another Win7 PC?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Good work, my guess is the drive is "Not BitLocked" but from what I have been reading (Googleing) the backups are written as a VHD file. I assume each backup is a chunk/file backup 3_28_17.VHD or something like that.

My guess is the server backups are unreadable outside the server just like the client backups are unreadable outside the server.

Sounds like something Microsoft would do.

That is my best guess. Unless somebody knows different.

That is why I do not let my clients keep any data local because I don't trust the backups. I do them just in case somebody manages to get ransom ware I could hopefully go back to the day before. But I don't really trust them, so if the clients keep all there data in the shares, those can be accessed outside the server if the server died.

As far as the server backups, I would just reload if they didn't work, but I realize you are maybe trying to get at a file or something inside those backups.

Hope this helps, maybe somebody smarter then me will help.
Good Luck and if you find out something more, please post back, it could help others.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 pm 

Thanks so much for your help. Still trying to figure it out.

Maybe others can help.

Kerry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You could give this a try. Go to the link below and near the bottom is a section on how to mount the VHD in windows.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fil ... windows-7/

Once you mount the image and assign a drive letter it implies you can copy what you need. May not work if you are looking to get the complete restorable image.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 am 

Yowzer and Gardian gave the same suggestion to mount the VHD. I tried it and was able to copy content from the server backup drive to another PC. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the help folks.

Kerry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Very Cool, Thx for letting us know, that could very well help others that need access.
Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks