It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am in the process of installing an ASUSTOR AS6204T to replace my HP EX495 box.

So, in a couple of weeks, I will be selling the EX495.

Anyone interested?

Make me an offer. I do NOT have the original box, so S&H will be on top of the sale price.

Possibly sell 2 * WD 1TB drives with it, but I would need to wipe these first.

Kevin

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:59 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Wow, I am surprised that nobody is interested in this. Oh well.

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:35 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

While there are still a few people playing with these systems, the numbers are slowing as people move on to other form factors.
I see these on Ebay , depending on if they have problems and if they have the install cd's with them in the range of $90 to $250 plus shipping.

I bought 4 servers over a period of time, two were new, one was a HP refurb and one was used, but barely.
Just so I would have spare parts as HP made it clear from the start, they were not going to sell parts.

Good luck
If all else fails some are rounding up a video adapter and set it up as a htpc or maybe even as a backup server to your main.

But, not many buyers these days. My first two ex-470's got passed down to family. :-)
Goodluck
:offtopic:

P.S. I did some looking at that ASUSTOR AS6204T, that looks like a nice system with lots of options.
If you could, after you have gotten used to it maybe you could report back in the "Other Systems" thread. Might be an option for others.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
kevmeist
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the thoughts made. I thought that someone might buy it for parts. Yes, so far, the AS6204T looks pretty good. The backups seem slow (to me) and I am having some TS conversations with ASUSTOR.

I've posted an initial review and then I will try to update (assuming I remember...LOL).

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:54 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If it is anything like the servers, the first backups take awhile, but then they are incremental after that and much quicker.
Good Luck and enjoy that new toy :-)

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have done several already to see if that made a difference. I'm not sure if the "Backup Plan" software on the PC is doing incremental (I have asked ASUSTOR about this but no reply yet).

The 2nd and third PC backups took quite a bit less than the original. However, the 3rd one that I did still took almost 3 hours to backup my Win7 desktop (about 76GB). I keep no data files on the PC itself, just windows and applications etc. Depending on how they "keep" the data on the NAS...I would have expected to see a "differential" file by date along with the original backup. I do NOT.

I have no experience with RAID-5 (the way that the new NAS is setup. I realize that RAID-5 will be somewhat slower (than a straight file write) due to the parity bits etc...still...almost 3 hours to backup 76GB?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi - have you still got the EX495 ? If so I am interested.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:44 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi Nige....I still have it. For any shipping, I will have to get a box (unless you are close to me in FL) as the original box went a few years ago.

K

Thanks