It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one: I've set up a WHS2011 box for my dad and he was having trouble getting remote web access working. I've opened up ports 80, 443, and 4125 on his router and I can access his domain (https://something.homeserver.com) over the internet no problems. However, he cannot get access from within his network, and when he goes to the remote web access page in his dashboard it says its not working...!!!

Also, if I go to the non secure domain address (i.e. http://xxxx.homeserver.com; without the "s"), I get to the log on page for his router. which seems a little odd.. but my understanding of networks isn't massively in depth!

Any ideas why he can't access the server locally but I can over the internet?!!

Cheers.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well that is odd. If it cannot resolve, from a network point of view it means DNS isn't working properly. Usually, your router is set as DNS server (check network adapter's DHCP). That will forward to ISP DNS.

So first test... Set your DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (= Google DNS). Does it work now from within the LAN? Problem solved: your router is at fault and is messing things up.

Still nothing? Let us know brand (and type) of the router. And what browser are you testing with? Same for Antivirus & Firewall & OS. Do all computers in your LAN have this problem? Or only form WHS itself? I know they are basic and annoying questions, but they have to be asked :) And what happens if you enter your IP address instead of your FQDN (= domain name)? Start cmd.exe, type: ping -a hostname.homeserver.com to get your IP address. If it all works, it should redirect to http://12.34.123.124/HPHome/

Peace!

Devnullius
PS: see what a router can do here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14311

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks - I'll take a look at the DNS settings tonight and see if that's the issue.
Don't think it's a browser / firewall thing but will do some digging tonight!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks