It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Forgive me. I'm a little bleary eyed after my WHS 2011 EX495 finally giving up the ghost and having a hell of a time re-installing. However, bit the bullet and in the middle of a fresh install.

So when I get it installed (hopefully! - been stuck at 94% for an hour now - guessing that's the windows updates?) this time I want to make sure I have some image to restore to - tried few days before it died - two options - fresh install or restore an image. I had no images.

Very confused by the backup system. I rember being prompted for a "Server Backup" but always shyed away due to worrying it would be backing up my entire server (+ not having the capacity to do that).

What I'm looking for is a backup of my system/OS for restore. I do have some precious data, but most can be lost. Besides this, use Stablebit Drivepool so all duplicated anyway.

It's the system setup that I'm keen on as this is what cased the problems in the first place - missing/corrupted system files.

So - what's the best way to achieve this without backing up the entire server?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Your server backup does not backup the entire server, it only backs up the bootable OS partition (80 or 120GB IIRC). It is a VERY handy feature, and I'm glad Comp1962 talked me into it when I moved to WHS20111. I've used it twice now to recover a corrupted boot partition. I too was initially confused on the necessary size needed for a backup, so I had 3TB devoted to that feature when in fact a lowly 500GB would have easily stored numerous system OS restore points.

Hopefully you moved past that 94% point ... they can appear to be sitting doing nothing for a while, and if it doesn't finish smoothly, run a full Chkdsk on the drive to verify its integrity and health.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

cheers fella - yeah - looked into it + now backing system disk up! Glad I did as chose not to update on re-installation attempt 128(!) and then backed up straight away. Had whole bunch of errors trying to update (which still getting - I'm suspecting M$ are at fault with this as trying to update from bare metal install) + thus needed to roll back almost immediately.

I left it 2 days - didn't get past 94%!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Keep us updated on it once you get everything squared away. Looks like I am gonna have to restore my boot drive again. I still am getting random lockups on my box.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:34 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

WalkinTarget wrote:
Keep us updated on it once you get everything squared away. Looks like I am gonna have to restore my boot drive again. I still am getting random lockups on my box.

Continues to be a pain. Activation helped it 'grab' the first glut of updates - loads of them installed. However, now getting Error code 8024000e if I try further updates.

I'm sure M$ are either playing silly buggers with updates to Win7 based systems (had this on a win 7 laptop too - fixed when upgraded to Win10 = proving not hardware) or there's something badly wrong with the update service. Bare metal instal to 2nd attempt at update (with no other installs or tinkering in between) should not produce errors!

Update:

just ran sfc /scannow
Indicating corrupt files (!!??) - to investigate further

Thanks