It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've had my WHS 2011 going for a while, but only just set up a VPN. Now I know what a VPN does, but I'm wondering why set one up in WHS? What are the pros and cons of using WHS vs a VPN through CyberGhost?

I not a pirater or a hacker, but security and anonymity have been playing on my mind in this post Snowdon world. Does WHS mask my webtraffic from my ISP? Can this only be done thru a 3rd party VPN client? is the new IP assigned through my WHS VPN still a way to track me through my ISP?

Excuse the naivety of the questioning, but I am trying wrap my head around how much trust I should have in my windows VPN. I would have it anyway, as I want to allow access to my server when I am travelling. But the intensiveness of 3rd parties spying while online has got me a bit PO'd.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I may be wrong, but I believe that is the purpose of a VPN is to communicate to a server/PC/network remotely through an encrypted connection.
Your ISP has access to your network as you are connected to them directly.

So the VPN data is private while in the connection, but would become part of the network once it gets to your server.
Quote:
I not a pirate or a hacker, but security and anonymity

If your not a pirate or a hacker then you have nothing to worry about, as far as anonymity, good luck, that can only happen when you unplug from the network.
Security, keep your systems up to date, keep your virus/malware/spyware up to date and you are good to go.

Everyday Joe's like us are not a very high value target, they have bigger fish to fry.

If you don't have anything to hide, then you are OK. If you do have something to hide, keep it off the network (Local).
I hope this helps.

I have a friend that is a doctor and about once or twice a year he wants to talk about encryption and how he can be invisible on the network to lessen the chance someone can see his stuff or steal all his passwords.

I tell him the same thing, keep your stuff up to date, Don't load windows 10, set your browsers to dump everything when you close them and everything will be fine.

Hope this helps.
I used to have a hard VPN IPSec Tunnel to my buddies network, Netgear to Netgear it worked and came in handy but it was for convenience to move data back and forth instead of driving across town.

I recommend Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Microsoft updates and all the Adobe/Java updates.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My Doc friend asked me about this service, it was supposed to be best in class via Cnet.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
This (for a fee) creates a vpn to this company, then you hit the internet from their servers.
I think this is what you were looking for.
This company claim a lot of stuff, Hide your IP, fairly cheap and easy to use, from your home or on a public pc.

Just wanted to follow up, Good Luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks