It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:58 pm 

From my post(s) in July 2015, I've upgraded the Processor and the RAM. I've altered the drive arrangement to two drives. Bottom bay is a 1.5 TB Drive. In the next bay up is a 500 GB HD.

From this site, I purchased the 4 MediaSmart Server Debug Board (4th GEN) that plugs into a socket on the MLB, and is supposed to give you PS2 style Keyboard, Mouse and VGA display support. I also have a USB DVD/CD Drive attached. I've double checked the proper fit and configuration of the added hardware. I connected my display and VGA cable to a different computer to verify their operation.

So when I power up the MSS, I get no signal to the display. Pressing F10 doesn't do anything that I can determine, as I have no visual feedback. I tried booting a Windows 8 Disc., (in the blind as it were) from USB Optical Drive. It appears the optical drive is responding to something, beyond just spinning up ... but again I have no visual input to confirm or deny. I have the MSS Home Server Discs, v 2.5 or v3.0 and or, Server 2011 I can install from. As you might guess, my hp Tower that used to see the MSS, does not see it now. Both are on the same wired network.

I really need a pointer or two, or five ... Sorry to sound so .... (nearly) helpless. I can post some photos if that would help you identify some of what I am saying.

Thank you again.

Gary Remarks updated 01/27/16 • 1:24 PM

Last edited by garylauterback on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

When you installed the debug board cable on the motherboard port did you add a jumper to the jp1 pin?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:02 pm 

Ruben Rocha wrote:
When you installed the debug board cable on the motherboard port did you add a jumper to the jp1 pin?

No sir. Somehow I missed the memo on that part. So, now I'm off to do that. Life has gotten in the way of this project, so I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. - Gary

Opened up the unit. There IS a jumper on the J pin and one on the jp1 pin as well. The jp1 has 3 posts, with the jumper covering the 2 pins closest (above?) the jp1 lettering on the board. It was this way upon opening the unit. I'll reassemble and attempt power-up with display attached to breakout board. BTW, I'm using a PS2 style keyboard as well. If I'm to switch to a USB keyboard, will connecting it to the front USB port be sufficient? Again thanks for the input! -
Also have 4 GIG RAM, and the S5200 CPU.

I've put it all back together. Carefully routed the cabling. Powered up, and still no signal reaches the display. Again, verified VGA cable and display are GOOD via attaching to another device. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks again! - Gary

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 pm 

garylauterback wrote:
Ruben Rocha wrote:

No sir. Somehow I missed the memo on that part. So, now I'm off to do that. Life has gotten in the way of this project, so I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. - Gary

Opened up the unit. There IS a jumper on the J pin and one on the jp1 pin as well. The jp1 has 3 posts, with the jumper covering the 2 pins closest (above?) the jp1 lettering on the board. It was this way upon opening the unit. I'll reassemble and attempt power-up with display attached to breakout board. BTW, I'm using a PS2 style keyboard as well. If I'm to switch to a USB keyboard, will connecting it to the front USB port be sufficient? Again thanks for the input! -
Also have 4 GIG RAM, and the S5200 CPU.

I've put it all back together. Carefully routed the cabling. Powered up, and still no signal reaches the display. Again, verified VGA cable and display are GOOD via attaching to another device. Any ideas? Anyone? Thanks again! - Gary

Make sure that you have the jumper on this header:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/blog/wp ... jumper.jpg

Thanks