It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:16 pm 

Hi Folks -- So I know I can't use anything bigger than 2TB for an pooled drive. And I'm pretty sure I can't use anything bigger than 2TB for internal (pooled or not). And I'm guessing even if I go USB or eSata, I still can't go beyond 2TB, right?

Sorry if this seem obvious for you folks. Back when I was regularly messing with my Ex490 drives larger than 2TB weren't very common. However now they're definitely the affordable option for backups of backups.

Last question -- assuming the 2TB limit is firm across the whole thing, is that a Server 2003 limit or a hardware limit? If I "upgrade" server essentials or WHSv2, will the eSata or USB port drivers allow me to attach a 4 or 5TB external drive?

Thanks much!

PS- I've been reading for years and I'm pretty sure I had an account back in the day, but darned if I can remember what the heck it was. So while this is my "first post" I'm pretty sure it's not really my first post. But then again, I'm now of the age where I'm never sure if what I'm positive remembered actually happened, or if I don't remember things that actually did happen! :lol:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

the 2 tb limit is due to the os whsv1 which does not support advanced format drives.
So upgrading to a os that supports them will fix that.
However with whsv1 on a non pooled drive people have had success with 3+tb drives.
Due to you can format it outside of the server and add it without formatting.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would caution using any drive over 2tb with WHS v1 even non-pooled.
I took (2) 4tb reds and formatted them GPT/NTFS and was using them as non-pooled backup drives.
They worked great right up till I went over the 2 TB of data, then they both went RAW and I could not re-format them. Had to send them both back to WD for replacements.
So I say whs v1 only 2TB drive no matter how you use them.

But , I hear Diehard was able to upgrade drivers and somehow use 3tb drives for OS and pooled drives, but I wouldn't do it.
In a usb external setup I believe you can format and partition them, then use the portioned spaces for data storage, but I would not chance that either.
I buy the 2 tb reds when they are on sale 2-3 at a wack and then I don't have to worry about any surprises..

I stuck my two new 4TB reds in my DIY win2012E box and am using drive pool.

Just a FYI.... Goodluck hope this helps...
I also have a couple copies of whs 2011, but didn't really like it as well as the whs v1, so I will run whs v1 as long as I can.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks