It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If you are running Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, including Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter with the Essentials Experience feature, you may be in for a nasty surprise when you try to restore a file.

Microsoft KB3023562, released on February 2015's Patch Tuesday, introduced a bug that causes the restore wizard to crash when trying to restore files. You can launch the Dashboard from a client, select a machine and a backup, but once you select a disk from which to restore, things start to go horribly wrong. It doesn't matter whether you're running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If KB3023562 is installed, the restore wizard will crash.

Fortunately, you can uninstall KB3023562 and restore your files. But, this patch allegedly fixes six vulnerabilities, one of which is a publicly-known vulnerability--and therefore exploited in the wild. So you have to balance security with the ability to restore your data.

My advice is this. Install KB3023562. If you need to do a restore, you can always uninstall the patch, restore your file(s) and then reinstall the patch.

I was hoping the March 2015 updates would've fixed the bug, but I was left disappointed. Sometimes Microsoft reissues patches with known serious bugs like this. Unfortunately, that's not the case either. So for now, if you need to restore, you've got a bug to work around.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:13 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just stumbled over this bug trying to restore several hours worth of work that got lost due to good old stupidity. Your excellent detective work saved me a LOT of grief. Thanks, I owe you a very large beer!

Bert-Jan

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Bert-Jan_MSSv1 for this post
msawyer91