It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Remote Potato - Guide
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 am 

Just posted my guide on Remote Potato. Any questions, comments, tips, tricks, etc... I thought I would open it up to discussion here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/09 ... te-potato/

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
hockeyman

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:04 am 

Couple of items in my head:

- Really wish WHS supported Live TV/WMC, but oh well...
- To have control over my WMC TV functionality I may install Remote Potato on my W7 PC as well. Not sure how easy it will be on the Android/iOS side to switch between Remote Potato Servers (obviously need to make sure I choose different ports)
- With Remote Potato on my WHS I lose the music streaming because there is no WMP. Thinking I may install WMP 11 on my MSS (following this wiki) to get this functionality back. Not essential since (a) I can access my music via the cloud (Amazon and Google) and I can use Subsonic, but may give it a try
- How is everyone doin out there??? :banana: :chicken:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
hockeyman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:09 pm 

I love your write up and found it very detailed and complete. For whatever reason, I am having the WORST time getting the RP server to even run LOCALLY on the WHS itself. I have gone through the installation, set up security, established the ports, allowed auto config of the firewall, changed my router to forward ports, tested port open status with several different tools/apps.

I can NOT for the life of me get this to work. Did you load the "Remote Potato Server - Windows 8.1 Upgrade Pack" by any chance? I am running the below listed items.

WHS 2011 - on HP MediaSmart EX495 - Remote Potato server 1.0.6.0
Motorola Surfboard 6580
iPad3 with Remote Potato App
iPhone 5s Remote Potato App
Mozilla FF 33.0.2

Getting so frustrated and think it's a simple fix. Hopefully you're still around to help out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:48 am 

I have Remote Potato running on a Win8.1 Client, WHSv1, WHS2011, and WS2012E all on the same network so it works believe me it works. For the most part everything is setup to read the media content from my WS2012E server.

Now I did write a rather long and detailed message earlier but when I went to post it something went wrong and it did not post for some reason.

When setting up RP check off the Advanced Setting Checkboxes there is one on the first setup screen and another on the Welcome Screen for setting up Security.

When you setup RP did you chose I will use another dynamic DNS service and then enter your servers domain without the http or https using only the servers webpage site name? I am assuming you have Remote Web Access Setup on your server and if not then you should do it because it will make setting up and running Remote Potato much easier.

I do recall having an issue with my Highlander Server getting RP to run back in 2011 when it was built to run WHS2011. The issue was in the firewall and it drove me crazy. Interestingly a year or so ago I installed WHS2011 on an EX485 with an E5200 CPU and was able to get it to run without issue so I expect your EX495 to be the same.

As for the router I would double check the port forward settings to make certain they are pointing to the server and that if your router supports IP Reservation that I would set the server up in the router to have a fixed IP because if the server reboots its possible for the routers DHCP to assign a different IP number to the router which will make port forwarding useless. While you could assign a fixed IP number to the server on the server side its easier to just do it on the router side. Most if not all routers today have options to reserve IP numbers for devices on your network.

The last screen in the setup does show you how to access RP but assuming your using the default ports and lets assume your domain was abc.remotewebaccess.com then you would access RP using http://abc.remotewebaccess.com:9080
or http://www.abc.remotewebaccess.com:9080

I do not recall using the Win8.1 upgrade pack. I may have on the 8.1 client but I just do not recall having used it on the server side so I will look to see if its installed or not.

I will mention that I also use Subsonic which can also display video but there is a yearly cost for the video streaming license now. I like the UI in Subsonic much better and although I can stream movies the thing there you need to play with the bandwidth settings to get the movies to stream well and in most cases its reducing that setting and with the reduction you also lose video quality but there you need 600 or less for it to work well and RP by default uses 600kbps.

Good luck getting RP setup. I know once you have it running and learn its inner workings and there is really not a lot to play with in there but once you get it you will find it to be a very acceptable remote media streamer.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
hockeyman
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello Hockeyman, don't know that this is much help, but being a fellow FireFox user, They had a big change at version 32, I have downloaded version 32 ESR FireFox which will be the last version that has all the extra plugins that help make everything work.
Hopefully by the time that release is eol next year March I believe they will have FireFox back to being the best browser of all.

Anyway, if you are trying to access RP with FF that could be a problem, don't know...

Good Luck

P.S. I use and have used Serviio for years, it's very basic, but works for me and my Samsung Plasma and all the PC's in the house.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks