It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

it starts to transfer then a about 5-10 seconds in it hangs about 1/3 mark.
it stays there forever so I cancel the transfer

I tried to do it through "remote desktop connection" as well but no luck , same problem.

UPDATE: i would like to add that I can copy small files, the files I am trouble with are large.

windows 7
HP Windows Home Server EX485

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 pm 

Sounds like you may have a hard drive issue on the client or server or your storage pool is tight on space. Keep in mind the storage pool is an accumulation of storage capacity meaning all the free space on all the drives is added up and shown as the total available capacity.

Can you try moving files between clients to see if the problem still exists. This would rule out the client side for sure. Also try moving the files to the server from another client to see if you get the same results or not.

WHSv1 does report the health of the drives but basically its just the file system. If you do not have HomeServerSMART Classic or HHS installed I would recommend installing it. You can download if for free from the link below:

http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeSe ... c.html#all

If you do happen to have HHS installed what does it tell you if anything about the physical health of your hard drives? It just takes one drive to act up to cause issues with WHS so software like HHS is a valuable tool to help you monitor the physical health of your hard drives.

There is also a Windows Version thats free to try available from the same link above.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I did a few tests:

rough guess but any file over 1gb I cannot copy within my server (or from my windows 7 pc)

from my WHSC my network health says healthy on all drives and I have1.98 TB of free space.

which one of these do you recommend I install to test further?
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Downloads.html

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:06 pm 

The console only reports the file system is healthy but does not quite indicate the physical health of the drives which can only be obtained by reading the SMART Data from the drives themselves which WHS does not do on its own. This is why you need software that can read the SMART Data like HomeServerSMART (HHS Classic), Hard Drive Sentinal or other software which can properly read and interpret the drives SMART Data.

The ADD-IN HHS Classic is free and I have already provided the link for it. This software will also monitor the physical health of your drives for you. The object here is to hopefully replace a drive that's beginning to fail before it actually fails.

Again there is also a Windows version which is free to try. Some OEM's also have free utilities which can read the SMART Data but they do not report everything like HHS Classic Does.

If you install HHS Classic and it reports your drives are in good working order then we will need to figure out other possible causes but I can tell you honestly and with great certainty that most WHS issues are hard drive related and that WHS is very sensitive to drive issues which is why I recommend HHS Classic.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm 

Oh one other thing worth mentioning and that is are any of your drives in the server the newer Advanced Format Drives and if so did you check with the manufacturer to see what if anything needed to be done to prepare the drives before using them in a legacy system. This is a major PITA for older operating systems as some drives are plug and play, some require a jumper setting and some require alignment.

This has to do with the 4K vs 512b Sector Sizes. WHS was designed to run with 512b Sector Sizes and Advanced Format Drives use 4K Sector Sizes, Thing here is the AF Drives will often run fine for a while then suddenly have issues which cause issues within the server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:58 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

i installed HHS classic and voila,

I have the following critical alerts:
- high bad sector count
- high uncorrectable sector count
- high pending sector count
- high reallocation event count
- disk health critical

I have 4 drives in my HP server, I do know which one is faulty (when I select server storage they all indicate health)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 pm 

On the HHS Screen it provides quite a bit of drive information to help guide you. Typically in an MSS the Physical Drive # is the actual bay with Physical Drive 0 being the system drive and Physical Drive 3 being the top drive and so forth.

On the right window you will see the Drive Model and Serial Number another way to help you identify the drive. Sometimes even the Mount Point will be displayed and if you have the ADD-IN Disk Management installed it will tell you each drives mount point. This is basically how the drive is mounted in the storage pool but its useful information if you have other ADD-INs that also list the mount point.

But for your server its easy to find the drive. In the larger servers not so easy but not exactly impossible either if you know where to look. I only have 1 WHSv1 server still running 24-7 but I have others that I can turn on to look. The Intel Bases Servers like you EX485 and EX495 do show the serial numbers but there are times when HSS can not gather that information from the drive for one reason or anther.

If you opt to remove the drive WHS may not let you if you do not have enough space in your pool which at 1.98 TB you may not have so you can connect another drive to your server via USB or eSATA and add it to your pool and then remove the drive in question, Once WHS removes the drive and it will take quite a long time then simply shut the server down, pull out the bad drive and insert the new drive and fire up the server.

If your not sure which drives to use with WHSv1 try reading what drives others are running in their servers. Keep in mind the Advanced Format Issue and I can send you some links to review but if you use the site search and look for Advanced Format you will find quite a bit of material to review on the site and a few guides about them as well.

Typically I would recommend a few drives but in this case I will defer to others because the only new drives I have been buying are for my WHS2011 and WS2012E Servers. I did buy some Toshibas for WHSv1 which are 512e drives but I have not really run those server with those drives all that often to make a recommendation,

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
JamesX
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

so I was almost done moving my files and removing the drive which has all the errors then bang... unable to connect through windows home server, remote connection etc.. I tried rebooting the server but I continue to get flashing blue light ,

can i just turn it off and remote the drive that is faulty and reboot? or do I need to remove from within whs ?

UPDATE: it finally booted up, took about 2 hrs. I have started the process of removing the drive but its been stuck at about 10-15% for a while now.

should i be concerned about that?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:45 pm 

The removal process takes quite along time depending on how much data WHS has to actually move from the drive to the storage pool. Any drive I have removed in the past was either done before I went to bed or before I ran out to run errends because there is nothing worse then trying to watch that process run its course.

If the drive proves to be a major pain you can shut the server down pull out the drive, reboot and you will see a ton of errors and alerts only because of the missing drive.

You can remove a Missing Drive from the Pool but you will lose data which either is not set to be duplicated or has not yet been duplicated that is stored on the drive being removed.

Data which WHS does not duplicated are the Client Backups so if WHS used that drive to store client backup they would be lost when the drive is removed from the storage pool if its not present in the pool at the time of removal. The same applies to data which you do not have setup for duplication however that data can still be accessed from the drive and copied back to the server.

Drive pool data which is set for duplication which is stored on the drive but for one reason or another DE had not gotten around to duplicating will be lost but again you can read the data from the drive and copy it back to the server. Again this is when you remove a drive that is missing from the pool.

I just wanted to cover what you can expect should you decide to boot the server with the drive not connected. Better know for sure.

If your client backup database is of importance to you there is an ADD-IN called BDBB which is available for free from the ADD-INS tab on this site. BDBB will allow you to manually back up your client backup database to a location of your choice. It also can be set to duplicate your client backup database. Its a very useful ADD-IN to have and FREE is a very reasonable cost at that..

For now just let the server run its course. I know it can be frustrating at times especially if this is your only server. I have been there myself so I know how it is. Oh its ok to swear at it if you want but never a good idea to place it in the drive way and run over it with a truck.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

When I woke up this morning the server had disconnected from the network (my guess it fell asleep at 2 am) so I ended up removing the drive without going through the actual WHS removal process.

pro's:
without the drive, it boots up very fast and I can copy files to and from the server in seconds
so all good there.

con's:
like you said I am seeing a lot of errors (which I can live with):

" a device attached to the system is not functioning"
" the system cannot find the drive specified"

is there a way to get rid of these errors?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have never tried to delete a bad drive when I manually pulled it.
I have always replaced it.
But I would think you could delete the drive in the whs console and or reboot the server a couple of times.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JamesX wrote:
When I woke up this morning the server had disconnected from the network (my guess it fell asleep at 2 am) so I ended up removing the drive without going through the actual WHS removal process.

pro's:
without the drive, it boots up very fast and I can copy files to and from the server in seconds
so all good there.

con's:
like you said I am seeing a lot of errors (which I can live with):

" a device attached to the system is not functioning"
" the system cannot find the drive specified"

is there a way to get rid of these errors?

See if this works, http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/04/12/w ... anup-tool/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 pm 

Because you pulled the drive without WHS being able to remove it on its own you will continue to get error and alerts which are caused by the drive being missing. If you have not done so already add a new drive to the storage pool then tell WHS to remove the missing drive. This will clear up the majority of errors your seeing. You may still see the error about the client backups and will then need to repair the client backup database. You could lose some or all of your client backups. I should also mention that while WHS is complaining about the client backup database it will not backup your clients until the issue is resolved.

As I have already mention data which was stored on the now missing drive that was not backed up will be lost but if you can connect the drive to another computer you maybe able to copy the files from the drive. To do so the computer has to be set to be able to read hidden files and folders and the files will be found in the Hidden Folder named DE.

I can't comment about the link Diehard posted but if he says it will help I am certain it will.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks