It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:18 am 

So recently my EX490 will just drop all communication from RDP. I cannot access the server. Only the top 2 blue hard drive lights are on and the yellow Ethernet is still flashing away. I am forced to hard reset every time. I don't know whats going on and its very frustrating. What info would you need to see to help me trouble shoot this? Thank you in advance.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:53 pm 

That's not normal at all. I would pull the two drives out and connect them to another computer and test them out using the Drive OEM Software and if you happen to have WindowSMART installed on the computer even better because then you can see the physical condition of the hard drive. Now some of the OEM Software will look at some of the SMART DATA on the drive but not all of it.

By any chance have you had the server taken apart just prior to the issue occurring? I ask this because often people damage the backplanes when removing or installing them. The most common issue tends to be with damaging the capacitors which face the fans and on one occasion that I am aware someone damaged the SATA/PWR Connector which is in my opinion very rare.

So right now its somewhat difficult to determine the cause of your problem but it could be failing drive(s), bad Drive LED Board, an issue with the backplane or possibly an issue with the PSU. This is a new one for me in that the bottom two drive lights are out but if the drives are dropping out and the server does not see them then that would explain why they are out but not explain why they are dropping out which comes down to a process of elimination, between the drives, LED Board which would not effect server operation, bad backplane or a PSU that's not providing enough power to keep things running but on the PSU Side I would expect the other drives to drop out too.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
dc73
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yellow,LED???
I guess you are talking about the Ethernet port on the back.
What about the LEDs on the front of the unit?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm 

I'll have to check next time this happens. But yes the yellow lights as for the Ethernet port on the back.
Ruben Rocha wrote:
Yellow,LED???
I guess you are talking about the Ethernet port on the back.
What about the LEDs on the front of the unit?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm 

I will run some checks on the drives. We did have it open so we could install the new OS. It seem to run fine for a while.

Comp1962 wrote:
That's not normal at all. I would pull the two drives out and connect them to another computer and test them out using the Drive OEM Software and if you happen to have WindowSMART installed on the computer even better because then you can see the physical condition of the hard drive. Now some of the OEM Software will look at some of the SMART DATA on the drive but not all of it.

By any chance have you had the server taken apart just prior to the issue occurring? I ask this because often people damage the backplanes when removing or installing them. The most common issue tends to be with damaging the capacitors which face the fans and on one occasion that I am aware someone damaged the SATA/PWR Connector which is in my opinion very rare.

So right now its somewhat difficult to determine the cause of your problem but it could be failing drive(s), bad Drive LED Board, an issue with the backplane or possibly an issue with the PSU. This is a new one for me in that the bottom two drive lights are out but if the drives are dropping out and the server does not see them then that would explain why they are out but not explain why they are dropping out which comes down to a process of elimination, between the drives, LED Board which would not effect server operation, bad backplane or a PSU that's not providing enough power to keep things running but on the PSU Side I would expect the other drives to drop out too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 pm 

As far as open does this mean you took out the backplane and then the motherboard/PSU Assembly or just to remove the drives?

I understood the Blinking Yellow Light was for the NIC the other should be solid sort of orange/red in color. If the NIC is active it should show up on the Router's DHCP listing but that's for another day.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I helped him with his server. We took it apart carefully not damaging anything on the SATA back plate as I have already upgraded mine. We hooked up the monitor with the VOV Technology VGA Debug Board, and keyboard/mouse via usb to install the os. Like he stated all was fine for a while. Something happened down the road that started causing these issues.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jpsoutlook for this post
dc73
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:51 pm 

I wrote a response in the other thread regarding the WHS2011 recovery question. This thread is really for WHSv1 Troubleshooting. viewtopic.php?p=101161#p101161

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks