It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

When I logon to the server, I sometimes see a message telling me to change the battery. My assumption is that refers to to a CMOS battery in the EX495? The text is not especially clear (the server is plugged into an APC 1200VA UPS also.

Is there any documentation about changing the CMOS battery in the EX495? I believe I have seen reference to a CR-2032 battery.

What happens to any BIOS settings when I change the battery? I don't remember ever changing any BIOS settings (I do not have a debug board and would assume I would need one to change these?). My assumption (bad word, I know) is that HP ship these things with the default BIOS, so if changing a battery, the default settings would be OK?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:06 pm 

You know that's a good question and batteries do not last forever but have a life expectancy of about 5 years. I know in the BIOS there is a default setting and an something like optimal settings.

Personally I have never run into the issue of having to change the battery but if the battery is not working and your able to still use the server with exception to the time and date then its like not having the battery there anyway so I see no harm in your changing out the battery. You would just need to get to the servers desktop and change the time and date info which should automatically be done for you each day.

The importance of having the correct time and date on the server match what is on your clients has more to do with connecting to the console since they must match and if they do not then you may not be able to make a console connection.

So go ahead change the battery, turn the server on, make a Remote Desktop Connection to the server and change the time and date, then try rebooting the server to see if the problem corrects itself. My guess is the BIOS will just revert back to its default settings and if the optimal settings were used then you would need to unlock the BIOS and do a blind change to the optimal settings and I can check the key strokes for you if you get into trouble because I have an EX49x here with a debug board.

I would of responded earlier but I was actually hoping someone would of chimed in who has had to change their battery before.

To remove the battery which is a CR-2032 just push and hold the retainer clip to the side and sort of roll the battery out of place. I have an EX49x Motherboard in a box so I just removed the battery from it. You can't install it wrong but the wider end or the + side faces the retaining clip.

If you run into problems just let me know and I will see what I can do to help but I think you will be ok.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well I only know when I was attempting to change the fan speed settings the first time that I got confused on the first attempt.
So I reloaded the default bios setting and started over with no issues.
But that is all I know.
If that holds to be true.
Then replacing the battery should force the default bios to load.
Except for the time stamp, which should self correct itself. over time.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:11 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the replies.

I don't always see this message and now don't remember whether I see it when logging on to the WHS Console or a remote session to the server. I just tried both and didn't see the message (of course, right?...LOL).

Martin (from the Lights Out addin fame) thought it referred to the UPS battery that the EX495 is plugged into. But the APC UPS display shows fully charged. The actual message is totally unclear as to which battery could be "bad".

I've never taken an EX495 apart. Is the battery easily reachable inside the chassis or does it involve pulling the case apart?

Thanks again,

Kevin

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:37 pm 

@ Ruben Rocha ~ Changing the Fan Speed is a PITA either you have to muck with the PID Settings or take the more simpler route as I have done and just run them at full speed which increases the noise level a bit. Thing is that once you make the change you have another step to take to get them saved properly otherwise during the next reboot the fan speed setting will load the default settings. I believe the EX48x is the same way.

@ kevmeist ~ To change the Battery in your EX49x you will have to take the entire server apart to extract what I refer to as the Motherboard/PSU Assembly. There are several guides available on how to take an MSS apart and the procedure is the same for the EX47x, EX48x, EX49x, x310 and x510. If you have trouble finding a guide let me know and I will find one for you. The only word of caution besides static discharge issues is taking great care and caution when handling the Backplane because many have damaged either the SATA Connectors or Capacitors. Mostly the capacitors are the big issue and they are facing the fans. There is plenty of room to extract the backplane, I can almost do it blind now but even so I am always most cautious when handling the backplane. Once you get the backplane out its only 4 screws to remove and the Motherboard/PSU Assembly just slides out and then you will see the battery on the motherboard.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the helpful hints. I would appreciate you pointing me to a dis-assembly writeup. I have not decided if the battery really is the EX495 battery. The battery message is "generalistic" in its text and it doesn't always happen. Having a guide to taking it apart would be a good thing to keep on hand.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:09 pm 

Here ya go: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09 ... -hardware/

Just keep in mind what I written about the backplane. The first time you remove the top cover it will be a bit difficult, its actually locked in with a plastic tab which passes through the top of the drive cage. Once you get that tap up high enough the top cover should come off fairly easily. The real hard part is having the right size Philips head screw driver which is a #0 or a PH0 this will keep you from stripping out the head of the screws.

The rest is straight forward just take your time and you will see its not all that difficult.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Great...I have the anti-static wrist strap etc. If I can ever work out which battery the message is talking about...maybe I'll change it.

Take care and thanks.

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:44 pm 

The battery part is easy. If shut the server down and disconnect the power and then plug it back in and turn it on and then make a remote desktop connection to the server and have to set the time and date then its the battery on the motherboard.

If the server is seeing your UPS then it should tell you how much battery power the UPS has left unless its having difficulty communicating with the UPS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:12 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

On searching the net for this type of thing, I did find this site:

http://theosquest.com/2008/02/18/config ... me-server/

I have adjusted my settings in a remote session to mirror this site. I'm going to see if the message stops appearing when I RDP to the server (I only do this "as needed".

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:10 pm 

FYI: There is a version of PowerChute for WHSv1. It actually does quite a bit more then just shutting the server down but it also performs tests on the their UPS to let you know its working properly.

I would not set the shut down of the server with the batteries drained to 50% rather set it for 80% that way you should always have enough battery power to keep things powered while the server shuts down and will not run the risk of fully discharging the batteries.

Also its important to know how much time the batteries will be able to keep your connected devices powered and in this case if its 20 mins then you will only want to run off battery power for 4 mins.

Thing about UPS's is the batteries only last 3-5 years before they need to be replaced. Depending on the UPS you have it may be more cost effective to just replace the entire unit most smaller units take only 1 battery an the larger take 2 or more. I have some which have 2 and my larger ones take 4 and I try to replace my batteries every 3 years which reminds me I have a couple now that I need to change even though they are testing out ok.

While the method described on the link you provided might work I am not so sure how well Windows actually works in determining battery levels. What I do know is the APC PowerChute software works well with the APC devices and the CyberLink software work well with their devices and while APC has a version for WHS the CyberLink does not list WHS as on OS the software works on but I can confirm it works but I will also tell you the APC units are better then the Cyberlink.

If you run your network cable though some UPS's you may experience a reduction of speed as not all of them are Gigabit so keep an eye on that because I have experienced the speed reduction in the past and it will drive you crazy.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:28 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have an 1250VA UPS on the server and a few small items (like my Obihai 202 VOIP box), so should have plenty of time to shut down at 50%. The UPS battery is only about a year old. I have about 8 APC UPSs in the house (it is FL after all). Most of these last a lot longer than 3 to 5 years and, yes, I normally replace the unit as Sam's or Amazon typically is about the same price as the APC TradeUPS program.

Certainly do not run ethernet cables through the UPS. The house is wired Gb CAT6 with a WD MyNet900 7 seven port router (in my office) and a 16 port HP Procurve switch in the wiring closet for the rest of the house.

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Comp1962 wrote:
@ Ruben Rocha ~ Changing the Fan Speed is a PITA either you have to muck with the PID Settings or take the more simpler route as I have done and just run them at full speed which increases the noise level a bit. Thing is that once you make the change you have another step to take to get them saved properly otherwise during the next reboot the fan speed setting will load the default settings. I believe the EX48x is the same way.

@ kevmeist ~ To change the Battery in your EX49x you will have to take the entire server apart to extract what I refer to as the Motherboard/PSU Assembly. There are several guides available on how to take an MSS apart and the procedure is the same for the EX47x, EX48x, EX49x, x310 and x510. If you have trouble finding a guide let me know and I will find one for you. The only word of caution besides static discharge issues is taking great care and caution when handling the Backplane because many have damaged either the SATA Connectors or Capacitors. Mostly the capacitors are the big issue and they are facing the fans. There is plenty of room to extract the backplane, I can almost do it blind now but even so I am always most cautious when handling the backplane. Once you get the backplane out its only 4 screws to remove and the Motherboard/PSU Assembly just slides out and then you will see the battery on the motherboard.

I have dealt with pid loops for thirty plus years. There are all a pain to tune.
The hard part here was the terms in the bios does not match industry terms/names.
In my case I just changed the rise/slope ratio which caused the bias rpm to bump up around 200rpm.
I forget the term that was in the bios but it refers to something like 20 degree range or 15 degree range.
Also"Yes" you have to disable the fan default which is on a different screen than the fan settings.(took a while to figure that out)
If you don't then on reboot it goes back to defaults.

So in my case now on a cold boot the initial rpm was 1200 rpm is now around 1500 rpm.
But it still ramps up faster as the temp rises.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:47 pm 

kevmeist wrote:
I have an 1250VA UPS on the server and a few small items (like my Obihai 202 VOIP box), so should have plenty of time to shut down at 50%. The UPS battery is only about a year old. I have about 8 APC UPSs in the house (it is FL after all). Most of these last a lot longer than 3 to 5 years and, yes, I normally replace the unit as Sam's or Amazon typically is about the same price as the APC TradeUPS program.

Certainly do not run ethernet cables through the UPS. The house is wired Gb CAT6 with a WD MyNet900 7 seven port router (in my office) and a 16 port HP Procurve switch in the wiring closet for the rest of the house.

Kevin

I have then all over the place myself. Knock on wood I have yet to lose anything. The only thing I do not have on a UPS is my Laser Printer which tends to put too much of a load on them so I figured the hell with it if it were to go they are cheaper to replace anyway but everything else basically has a dedicated UPS.

@ Ruben Rocha ~ I am not sure if it were you or someone else who posted a detailed description of the PID settings for the fan controls in the BIOS but as I recall it was well written. Saving the settings indeed is done in another section or the settings just go back to their defaults which was hmmm a PITA to figure out. I have an EX49x which I upgraded but forget which processor I used I think it was the E5800 which runs much cooler then the E5200 but I don't really run that server its just sitting on the shelf looking pretty along with most of my other MSS units. I do run the EX48x with an E5200 and have WHS2011 running on it but I run the fans full speed on that one. Last year I sent out an EX48x with WHS2011 and set it to run the fans at full speed too just to make sure the thing keeps cool. The MSS are fun servers, reliable and if your storage needs are not awfully large they are good work horses.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks