It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Remote Access - MV2120
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 am 

Hi,

I just bought a MV2120 last week and am using it to stream files to my PS3. I do have a question regarding Remote Access. I tried to search for documentation on it but failed. I already have a domain in which I would like to map my 2120 to, instead of the domain at TZO.

Does anybody know how I can use my own domain, instead of TZO?

Thanks in advance!

- Marc

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:06 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Marc, welcome to the forums! You'd need a static IP and access to a name server to make the linkage of your domain to your Media Vault's IP address, or a DDNS service that will do this for you. TZO provides this feature but they do charge something for it, I don't think it's terribly expensive especially if you already own the domain. They are regarded as having excellent support and being very helpful so I would have no concerns about them getting this working for you quickly and easily.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm 

I already have a static IP address...I guess my problem is I don't know how to link them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's where access to domain name servers is needed, your Registrar should allow you specify the name server of whoever is hosting your site, but this would require you to maintain a name server which you likely don't want to do. Hence, you will most likely need a service such as TZO to handle this for you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am 

I've got my own domain name registered already, and I host my own DNS servers. So how can I put in my domain name into WHS without having to use these pre-programmed wizards which force me to use TZO or Windows Live (homeserver.com).? Since WHS is based on IIS, I guess this would be something I could do right in the IIS management??? or is this for something else..

Thanks in advance.

ZANGIN

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you're maintaining your own DNS servers and domain names, then yes, I think you should be able to configure this to work on the home server. I'm not that familiar with IIS so can't tell you how to do it, but a quick :google: search would likely have tons of tutorials on how to do so. If you do get it working, post up here so we know how next time! :)

Thanks